• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Projects That Never Took Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I find the idea of a t.A.T.u. anime quite baffling to be honest. What on earth would it have been about? Them being lesbian paranormal gate investigators? Shocked

With a plot like that I'm surprised it hasn't been made yet. Sounds exactly like an Anime plot. I mean, we've had a dominatrix paranormal investigator, so why not two lesbians? Japanese like yuri too, right?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Japanese like yuri too, right?

Not as much as they like yaoi, judging from the dearth of yuri anime, and there's not exactly a whole lot of yaoi anime either. Even in hentai there''s only a handful of yuri-centric titles. Easier to find yuri in manga, but it's mostly "yuri for straight girls", which is funny since there's not exactly a whole lot of yaoi/BL/bara for straight guys, though there are straight guys who like yaoi.

I blame the original shounen-ai manga for being, essentially, "yuri in boys' clothing". Just read Matt Thorn's website for the relevant essays. If those had been outright lesbian stories, things would look a bit different in the same-sex themed manga landscape.

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
I assume Despera isn't on here because you know something we don't, right? Right? I'll take that as a yes.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
INS Division 6 wrote:
I'm surprised there was not an option for the poll, "become king of demon/gods or whatever and marry them all". I would have picked that. Does anyone remember the Rodney Dangerfield movie "My 5 wives"? Now that would be awesome if It was made into an anime Laughing

how do you have a harem poll and not have harem ending as an option? Clearly you have never seen anything tenchi, high school dxd, or even to love ru; the former has a harem ending, the two latter probably will have harem endings.

dtm42 wrote:
I'm actually a bit disappointed at the poll. The option for "this is supposed to be a literal harem; choose all of them" is missing. This is what my ideal scenario would be, and as such I cannot in good conscience vote for anything else.

The poll has the option: "This is a harem. The only choice is to choose none of them and keep all their attention as long as possible."

That is the typical harem ending in say, Tenchi. The protagonist never makes a decision, and all the girls go on vying for his attention, thus "all."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The poll has the option: "This is a harem. The only choice is to choose none of them and keep all their attention as long as possible."

I did see that option, but it's not what I wanted, or else I would have voted for it. You have completely misunderstood my post.

I want to vote for an option where the guy picks all the girls, not none of them. You understand the concept? An actual harem ending where he actually has a harem where he either pounds a different girl each night or has orgies with them all at once. You know, what a normal guy with an actual harem would do.

A "Tenchi Solution" is just the guy not having any testicles (figuratively-speaking, although given his disposition, possibly even literally), and therefore unable to make a decision. If a guy has multiple beautiful girls living at his house who are almost universally totally into him, but he never actually chooses any of them, that pretty much makes him a failure. A failure as a man (doesn't he have any sexual desire? Doesn't he want to actually have a girlfriend and be in a relationship?), a failure as a sexual creature (does he enjoy having blue balls? Is he a masochist perhaps?), a failure as a friend (he's stringing all these girls along and making them put their lives on hold for him until he makes a decision; nice going there champ), a failure as a mature person (his childish indecisiveness is not acceptable for someone at the end of their character arc), and a failure as a lead character (it's a cop-out ending designed to keep fans' hopes up that their favourite girl will eventually win, and to ensure more seasons; not to actually resolve the romantic side of things in a meaningful, touching and fulfilling way). Any lead male character who opts for the Tenchi Solution is pathetic, plain and simple.

So no, I'm not voting to be Tenchi. Capiche?

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
3. Alive - Saishū Shinka teki Shōnen Another victim of Gonzo's restructuring, the Alive anime adaptation was announced in 2008 as a joint production between animation studio AIC and Gonzo. Gonzo left the project during their restructure, and despite the staff's best efforts, they couldn't resuscitate the project. The manga's first eight volumes were released stateside by Del Rey until Kodansha USA took over their titles in 2010. Sadly, if the series ever does get an adaptation, the manga's creator Tadashi Kawashima won't be able to see it; he passed away in 2010.

I remember falling in love with this manga, so to hear that an anime was in the works but never made it was very sad. The dedication and love Kawashima had for it remains inspiring; I hope its adaptation goes through someday, if for no other reason than to honor that drive and love for his craft. It was a pretty incredible, fun story too. Still praying for Kodansha USA to release the manga in its entirety.

Though I've yet to experience the Lupin franchise I'm sad to hear of this never-to-be-seen sequel. It has such tremendous fan backing and love for it the world over. It's a shame the only thing stopping it is royalties.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Real shame
motahead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Read all the Alive manga , really liked it . Was disappointed the anime was never made , the story really lends itself to that conversion . Would like to see an anime of Cage of Eden ( with improved ending please ) .
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thinking about all these things that might have been makes me sigh! Some of these are a real shame; I would have liked to see GAINAX build on their Honneamise universe in Aoki Uru. And if we never get the Dreaming Machine then that'll just be a cosmic injustice!!!

I didn't know about the t.A.T.u anime! I hope it would have at least looked better than the reeeeeeeeeeeeally cruddy "anime" music video they did once...
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Who could forget the Termination, a series of vignettes taking place during Judgment Day in the Terminator universe.

sainta wrote:
I think there was a Transformer OVA that was cancelled.

Zone? It was originally meant to be a new TV series, but got axed. The first episode was completed, and released as an OVA.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

I did see that option, but it's not what I wanted, or else I would have voted for it. You have completely misunderstood my post.

Actually, you've completely misunderstood the poll, which imitates itself off of harem television anime (thus the whole "episode 12 confession" preface), not hentai.

Unless you want me to write a School Days option in there, because that worked out well.

Also, in the future, try to keep your vulgarity to a minimum. I'm not a prude by any means but I could of happily gone the rest of my life not knowing that you want to "pound" however many women.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Actually, you've completely misunderstood the poll, which imitates itself off of harem television anime (thus the whole "episode 12 confession" preface), not hentai.

I wasn't talking about hentai, I was talking about a normal show where the guy ends up with all the girls. That's possible you know. To paraphrase Yang, there is no rule of the universe saying that harem romantic comedies can't end up like that.

And I wasn't saying there should necessarily be sex*, only that it should end up with him clearly in the position where the viewer can be confident that the male lead will eventually have sexual relationships with multiple girls. You know, a harem, not yet another season of The Bachelor.

octopodpie wrote:
Unless you want me to write a School Days option in there, because that worked out well.

As if the only possible outcome of having a harem is that you're gonna have a School Days-type ending. Yeah, sure, whatever . . .

octopodpie wrote:
Also, in the future, try to keep your vulgarity to a minimum. I'm not a prude by any means but I could of happily gone the rest of my life not knowing that you want to "pound" however many women.

That's not what I was getting at whatsoever. I thought it was clear from my post that I was rallying against how unnatural the lead males and the endings are in harem titles. Such shows rarely have a lead male guy with a healthy libido (but who is not a perverted loser) actually deciding to take the third option and choosing all the girls instead of one* or none.

Me? I'm personally a hopeless romantic who believes (or at least, wants to believe) in true love and soulmates and all of that happy nonsense. When I was talking about "he . . . pounds a different girl each night" and "has orgies with them all at once", I wasn't getting across my personal fantasy. More like my wish to see characters being more like actual people and doing things that people actually do. I used graphic language to very bluntly get across the point that I don't want to see people chastely holding hands after two years of dating (coughBakumancough), but actually engage in a sexual relationship with one another like real people do.

Although, there are those titles which feature on-screen sex scenes and yet are not actually hentai; Ninja Scroll, Yosuga no Sora, Aki Sora, Futari Ecchi and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, to name a few. There are also the scores of titles where characters have sex during the show but off-screen, like Gundam SEED (and its sequel), Neon Genesis Evangelion, the RahXephon movie, Sword Art Online, ef: a tale of memories, High School of the Dead (yay for spoiler[a teenage lead male who actually acts his age]), Say, "I Love You", Natsuyuki Rendezvous, and so on and so forth.

The presence of sex does not a hentai make.

Usually the main girl who has the most presence in the OP and whose victory is obvious right from the first episode.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
I suppose in different terms, you'd rather the harem stay together as a true polygynous polygamy relationship? Or is that over-simplifying to the point of offense?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I suppose in different terms, you'd rather the harem stay together as a true polygynous polygamy relationship? Or is that over-simplifying to the point of offense?

That's likely accurate. Fans often call this the "true harem end" and it's pretty rare in anime, manga, or novels (can't really say for games). I heard a rumor that the guy who does the High School DxD novels wants to do a true harem end though.

The one place I might argue: I'm not sure that all fans who like "true harem end" restrict the fantasy to polygyny (or, for the ladies, polyandry) versus "everyone's kind of married to everyone" (i.e. "group marriage"), though.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
See, what dtm42 is missing is that "This is a harem. The only choice is to choose none of them and keep all their attention as long as possible" and "This is supposed to be a literal harem; choose all of them" are one in the same depending upon the point of view. Y'see, he would THINK that he has chosen us all, but what's really happening is that we're just stringing him along until we decide to dump his pathetic butt. Razz And on the chance he's trying to play us all and we're ignorant to the situation, once we find out the truth we snap and murder him and then joyfully sing the "Cell Block Tango." Wink

In terms of "everyone's allowed to hook up with anyone," I actually know about a Free Love Colony in my state. I was surprised to find that out considering how conservative the state is. Some liberal married friends went to check out the place after hearing about it, and though they've decided they're strictly in a monogamous relationship they fully supported the idea of the place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7