• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vampire Knight Manga to End in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember this series starting in Shojo Beat way back. I had no idea it'd been so long. Shocked I'm curious about Hino's next work. I still need to go back and finish VK though...
sarofski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I have the opposite feelings, as in I hope Zero dies a pathetic death, alone and unloved. I didn't like him much in the beginning, and he did nothing to improve my view of him throughout the series.

Couldn't agree more. Just what could you find interesting in Zero?!!! really!!!!!!! He's just so annoying, pathetic with nothing to offer personality-wise.
But I have a feeling He's gonna live (unfortunately) and Kaname will die in the end.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
sarofski wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Just what could you find interesting in Zero?!!! really!!!!!!! He's just so annoying, pathetic with nothing to offer personality-wise.
But I have a feeling He's gonna live (unfortunately) and Kaname will die in the end.

He's not self-centered and dangerously possessive to the point of borderline abuse. At least, he wasn't when I dropped the manga. Something may have changed after that, but I wouldn't know about it.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Zero's still pretty decent, but Kaname has been revealed to be worse than imagined. I didn't start off totaling hating him, if fact I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he's just like you described him. Of course, his fans will claim he did it for Yuuki and the greater good, but he comes across as cold and callous to me. spoiler[Plus it's revealed that there was a woman he loved ages ago (literallly) long before Yuuki.]
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The end:
Turns out it was all a Mary Sue OC fanfic terribly based on some popular vampire story written by the same person who wrote the "My Immortal" fanfiction.

I wouldn't even have to double take on that ending.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Zero's still pretty decent, but Kaname has been revealed to be worse than imagined. I didn't start off totaling hating him, if fact I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he's just like you described him. Of course, his fans will claim he did it for Yuuki and the greater good, but he comes across as cold and callous to me. spoiler[Plus it's revealed that there was a woman he loved ages ago (literallly) long before Yuuki.]

To be honest, though the earlier volumes are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, I can't elevate them higher than that because I get the creeps whenever he and Yuuki are in the same room together. Now that I've read more shoujo manga (I got into VK in middle school, when I was first getting into manga), he reminds me a lot of Takumi from Nana, who is a pretty textbook abusive boyfriend. The only difference is that Takumi's actions aren't treated as positive or romantic.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well now that the manga's ending hopefully we'll get a third season of the anime soon.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
The end:
Turns out it was all a Mary Sue OC fanfic terribly based on some popular vampire story written by the same person who wrote the "My Immortal" fanfiction.

I wouldn't even have to double take on that ending.

Yeah, it's that bad.

Wink

I think it's inevitable that both of those guys will die at the end, since Hino stated early on that this was a tragedy. I hope she doesn't end it with a cop-out, though it hardly matters.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I think it's inevitable that both of those guys will die at the end, since Hino stated early on that this was a tragedy.

I wasn't aware of that. So the question becomes exactly how big of a tragedy it's going to be, considering how many characters there are to be concerned about. Personally I hope everyone comes out okay except for Kaname, who can take a flying leap.

I'm following the English translation, and at this point the character I see the most immediate cause for concern for is Ruka. There's been quite a bit of foreshadowing about her lately and Kain just can't get Kaname's hooks out of her. We'll find out more when the next volume comes out next week.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
They're all vampires so they're already dead anyway. 'tis the reason I gave up at 3.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They're all vampires so they're already dead anyway. 'tis the reason I gave up at 3.

Actually, they're not undead. spoiler[They evolved from humans thousands of years ago during a climate change. Yes, it sounds stupid but that was the explanation in the story that is eventually revealed.] And not only that spoiler[they can be turned back into humans, but only the purebloods like Kaname and Yuuki.]

And they can procreate like humans with either other vampires or humans, too. Of course, only purebloods can convert humans into vampires.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The Shipping Wars ruined the series. I can't wait to enjoy it without fans fighting over who Yuuki should end up with.

spoiler[Ideally Kaname will die and Yuuki will sacrifice herself to turn Zero human. I've been predicting that ending since Volume 8 and I'm sticking to it.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I think it's inevitable that both of those guys will die at the end, since Hino stated early on that this was a tragedy.

I wasn't aware of that. So the question becomes exactly how big of a tragedy it's going to be, considering how many characters there are to be concerned about. Personally I hope everyone comes out okay except for Kaname, who can take a flying leap.

Yeah, Hino made a comment early on that this was her first time doing a "tragic love story". Question is, if she remembers saying that.

Personally, I think it is a given that Kaname will get a sad ending since he is such a manipulator. Frankly, I never liked either of the two guys very much, but I stuck around because I was curious about Kaname's "master plan". I dropped out because I never could develop a decent dialog with other fans about the plot developments without the discussion degenerating into a ship-war.

I never could understand the attraction to Zero, since he always seemed rude to everyone, standing around making lemur face and glaring at people. Particularly, his rudeness and disrespect to Kaien Cross, who spoiler[provided a home for him, rather than let the hunters kill him outright.] From what I saw from the fans, the main appeal for Zero was his character design. Confused

When I dropped Vampire Knight, the only character I liked was Kaien Cross. I sort of wish Hino would do a spin-off manga about his backstory.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I love this series, even the latest chapters because the later stuff has made me at least appreciate where Kaname is coming from, even if I'm not a huge fan of him overall. Plus, Yuki has had to take a more active role, which is also good.

That said, I am glad to see things wrapping up because, while I still have enjoyed the most recent stuff, it isn't quite as good at the earlier volumes.

And yeah, I'll join the group hoping for a good ending for poor Zero, since he is one of my favourite characters of all-time.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Actually, they're not undead. spoiler[They evolved from humans thousands of years ago during a climate change. Yes, it sounds stupid but that was the explanation in the story that is eventually revealed.] And not only that spoiler[they can be turned back into humans, but only the purebloods like Kaname and Yuuki.]

And they can procreate like humans with either other vampires or humans, too. Of course, only purebloods can convert humans into vampires.
Oh? Well that's alright then! And on that bombshell I guess we're in for another evolutionary change then! Rolling Eyes

Jaymie wrote:
spoiler[Ideally Kaname will die and Yuuki will sacrifice herself to turn Zero human. I've been predicting that ending since Volume 8 and I'm sticking to it.]
To which he will justspoiler[top himself over the his loss of her, by either getting re-bitten, or doing the usual human Japanese thing for topping one's self in a fit of blind remorse and dispair. ] Oh, the possibilities are endless! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3