• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vampire Knight Manga to End in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
...And yeah, I'll join the group hoping for a good ending for poor Zero, since he is one of my favourite characters of all-time.

Maybe you could explain the appeal to me, since previous Zero fans I've asked could only specify his character design, and couldn't refute his unpleasant gloomy, rude behavior (or the fact that spoiler[he promised to kill Yuki]. I always thought that Yuki was the center of a love triangle with two fairly crappy choices.... not that I ever felt that sorry for her.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't deny that the character design doesn't hurt but I just find him to be the most complex and compelling character in the cast. Mostly because he's a vampire hunter who hates vampires, yet is a vampire himself and spoiler[in love with another vampire, even if he didn't know it at first] (very old spoiler, FYI). While he certainly isn't the first or last vampire character to hate what he is, he does manage to perhaps be the most conflicted about it, or at least the most likeable while doing it, IMO (sorry Louis).

I guess I just find self loathing an interesting trait for a character to be defined by.

It also doesn't hurt that he is voiced by my favourite seiyuu, Miyano Mamoru, though I did love him from the manga already and it was this role that helped solidify Miyano's place as my favourite.

And he's pretty.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I like Zero for the reasons marie-antoinette described, but also because of his sense of morality. He cares about doing the right thing, often coming across as the only member of the cast who does. At least up until the point where I dropped the manga, he always tries to do what he thinks is right, and angsts over the fact that, because of his situation, he often can't. Sometimes he gets confused, sure, but let's be honest--he's in a pretty confusing situation. I think its admirable enough that he tries so hard to be a good person despite overwhelming odds stacked against him.

That said, I didn't find him that interesting until I watched the anime, because Mamoru Miyano is just that good. I often joke that it's Miyano's fault I had to suffer through twelve volumes before I finally quit, because he made me care about the character. Razz
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think Zero is the best character also. As for him being rude to Kaien Cross, well, he's not exactly been the most responsible parent. And Zero didn't like the fact the he let vampires attend school, especially since it was his job, his and Yuuki's alone to make sure the humans and vampires didn't get too close to each other.

@ Jaymie: I don't think Zero can be turned into a human. I believe that can only be done for purebloods. At least, she's never mentioned any vampires except for purebloods being turned human. spoiler[At this point, near the end of the story, Kaname wants to sacrifice himself to be the "new metal" in the furnace that creates the hunter weapons and rejoin his beloved mate from the distant past. Yuuki wants to sacrifice herself to turn Kaname into a human. Also, she erased Zero's memories of her human self so he'd forget about her.]
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I like Zero for the reasons marie-antoinette described, but also because of his sense of morality. He cares about doing the right thing, often coming across as the only member of the cast who does.

That's interesting. The way I read the series, pretty much all of the night class are utterly committed to protecting their human counterparts from the actually dangerous vampires with as little mental trauma to the humans as possible - even the ones who are there just because of Kaname. True, some of them occasionally go about it slightly condescendingly, but when things have gotten serious they've all put themselves at considerable risk to do what they know is right.

What I will give you is that various factors make Zero's struggle more difficult than the others, which evokes our sympathy for him. We want him not to cross certain lines as much for himself as for any person in question who he might wrong while not thinking clearly.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
See, that's what I liked about Vampire Knight, the characters seemed to be more developed and have evolved over time. Except for Kaname, who IMHO, has gotten worse, and Yuuki, who can't seem to ever make up her mind. But like I posted earlier, this whole love triangle thing has gone on for too long and is starting to bring the series down. So I'm glad it's ending with hopefully everyone getting what they deserve and/or want. I just hope Ms. Hino doesn't pull a Twilight on us.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
That's interesting. The way I read the series, pretty much all of the night class are utterly committed to protecting their human counterparts from the actually dangerous vampires with as little mental trauma to the humans as possible.

They other vampires eventually get to this point and I would say a lot of them do the best with the cards they are dealt (even Kaname). I actually really enjoy the vampire world that the series has created and always look forward to seeing more of it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
In regards to liking Zero more, well, it's kind of a no brainer when he's standing next to Kaname.

Kaname has everything. Everyone adores him and he can basically get whatever he wants... Yet doesn't and then angsts over it. Seriously, even with all the stuff with the senate and whatever, he could have killed them whenever he wanted. The only actual problem he had to deal with was spoiler[being unable to kill Rido], and it's not like Kaname couldn't at least keep spoiler[Rido] incapacitated indefinitely.

Zero on the other hand actually has a legitimate internal struggle to deal with. Being a total grouch is just how he deals with it.

At any rate, Sayori is the best character and Kain/Ruka is the best couple.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
That's interesting. The way I read the series, pretty much all of the night class are utterly committed to protecting their human counterparts from the actually dangerous vampires with as little mental trauma to the humans as possible - even the ones who are there just because of Kaname. True, some of them occasionally go about it slightly condescendingly, but when things have gotten serious they've all put themselves at considerable risk to do what they know is right.

What I will give you is that various factors make Zero's struggle more difficult than the others, which evokes our sympathy for him. We want him not to cross certain lines as much for himself as for any person in question who he might wrong while not thinking clearly.

When I think about it, I suppose most of the Night Class at least have their hearts in the right place eventually, but I was mostly thinking about Yuuki and Kaname (Kaname in particular), since those three get by far the most focus. Zero's an angel in comparison to Kaname xD
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks for answering. I must have different criteria for what I consider hot in a guy. Both those guys angst way too much. I think too much self-loathing is a character flaw. Guys like that tend to be easily frustrated and abusive - but then I'm talking about RL, and nothing about this manga resembles anything like that.

It has been a while since I've looked at the manga. Back when Rido met his end. I remember Zero spoiler[told Yuki he would kill her]. That was pretty bad. I can't think of much worse ..Maybe rape, then murder? Has Kaname threatened her like that? I know he is a manipulative bastard, and highly unlikable in his own right, but he always struck me as more calculating than abusive.... It's been a while. urgh. It's hard to like anyone in this thing.

Wow, that Yuki has bad taste in guys. I don't think I can handle going back... Anime dazed
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
Well Zero also had his "Must kill the vampires" thing and since Yuki spoiler[was now a vampire] he couldn't really make an exception. Yuuki was all too happy for it, though, spoiler[since hunting her will give Zero a reason to live.]
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Plus, Zero has never followed through on his threat, despite having threatened Yuuki several times since then. He's also never made much of attempt to go after Kaname. This is because he truly loves Yuuki but can't admit it. But she's also so hung up on Kaname that he feels he doesn't really have a chance anyway.

Meanwhile, Kaname has all the purebloods after him because spoiler[ he went on a killing spree against them because he personally also wants to get rid of all of them. And turn Yuuki into a human, though he's since changed him mind about that.]

And I think Kaname once said he would kill Yuuki if he had too.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, being a vampire hunter definitely gets Zero a pass from me on his threat. Also, I definitely wouldn't consider self-loathing to not be a flaw but it's still interesting to watch him come to terms with it.

When it comes to just hotness, it is mostly the character design. When it comes to being interesting though and a character I enjoy watching, it's 100% about the personality. A character doesn't have to be a good person to make for interesting entertainment (see Severus Snape).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3