• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Amnesia episodes 1 - 6 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

they usually do express their disconfort with having 5 pairs of oversized boobs shoved on their faces

Ugh! Why I never!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
^ I was thinking, i.e. in Godou from Campione, who had Erica effectively throwing herself at him half naked at least a dozen times (and that only in the 5 episodes I watched before dropping it) and he just kept telling her to stay away. There was also one of those Imouto shows with the little sister demanding her brother to do pervy stuff with her, and the brother downright refusing her time and time again. OTOH, there are other harem protagonists that are perverts to boot, and act accordingly (I didn't watch any of them, but I remember reading that the protagonists from Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica and So I can't Play H were like this).

The problem with this heroine is that she doesn't show or express if she likes or dislikes whatever is happening on screen, if she's unconfortable with Ikki being all over her, she just stutters but ultimately lets him do as he pleases, and when people ask her what she wants, she just... stutters. Like Rebecca says in the review, she's usually unable to speak a full sentence, and it's jarring to no end
lelliel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the swimming scene in question, but I'm just going to leave this here.

How drowning looks like in real life:
Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning
Recognize The Real Signs of Drowning

The More You Know.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
C grade seems pretty generous

I gave it a D at first, but upgraded it after some thought. Mostly that thought was, "I'm still watching the damn thing, so it must be doing something right."
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
^
But of course you don't actually know anything the show is doing right, apart from some decent visuals and having a mystery that might not even resolve well.

My point is, the fact that you're still watching it does not automatically mean it is worthy of a passing grade. I personally have seen several shows that were essentially like trainwrecks; it's obvious they're horrible but I just couldn't look away.

I dropped Amnesia after two very poor episodes, and I'd say your initial gut reaction to give the show a D was on the mark. I think of passing grades as indicating the title is recommendation-worthy, but I wouldn't recommend Amnesia to anyone I know.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I think of passing grades as indicating the title is recommendation-worthy, but I wouldn't recommend Amnesia to anyone I know.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. On that front, I actually do know a couple of people I would recommend it to. (Maybe I just know odd people.) If the mystery doesn't resolve well, there's a good chance I will give the second half a lower grade, but at this point it still gets the benefit of the doubt because, despite myself, I am intrigued. (As opposed to, for example, Brave 10, which I had to force myself to get through.)

In any event, I'm sure we'll revisit this discussion when the series is over. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I do appreciate knowing where you're coming from with your thoughts.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Quote:
Basically feels like watching someone else play the game.

And sucking at it.

Quote:
It is the kind of show that has you saying partway through every episode, “I'm going to drop this,” before ending in such a way that makes you say, “...after the next episode.” How the next six episodes handle the wrap up (assuming there is one) will ultimately determine the worthiness of this series, but at this point, it is the equivalent of the food that is not quite to your taste, and yet somehow you keep on taking another bite.

Thank you for putting into words what I've been struggling to figure out! xD I have no idea why I'm still watching this thing, but I am. Normally I would have dropped a show like this right away, but at the end of each episode, suddenly, miraculously, I feel like I want to watch the next one.

Same here. Though I'm enjoying the unusual artistic elements (the eyes, the actually memorable character designs, etc.) and the underlying feel sense of unease that permeates the show's mystery, I resist the urge to walk away each and every episode, in part because of the nigh-insufferable Heroine and in part because of there being so little forward momentum with the plot. In the case of the former, I get it: You have zero memories, you're disoriented and scared, in a place with strangers who act familiar to you and you have no idea how to act so they won't get suspicious or even dangerous. But that's exactly why you need to be proactive! An annoying, if well-meaning, shota spirit guide isn't going to do much better than state the damn obvious and raise your stress levels even more! Yes, jumping to different timelines is hell and crazier than a bag of acid-tripping cats, but some things are inexcusable (The infamous boat scene. spoiler[YOU WERE NEXT TO THE FRIGGIN' DOCK. ROLL OR REACH OVER. DON'T STAND UP AND DROWN]).

I'm hoping this anime somehow, miraculously, pulls its act together and delivers on a satisfying ending.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
What I was kinda hoping for is that each bishie our unnamed heroine encountered would try to mold her into the woman that they wanted. She's so devoid of personality that it would be very easy to accomplish. The fact that none of them has tried yet (because I could see Ikki regularly taking advantage of her) is testament to the fact that the show is aimed largely at the female audience that Japanese men who usually are in control of such productions think that women want to see.

Had the show gone this route instead of introducing some vague concept of parallel worlds, the scenario would have been quite the mind-mess. Each one says you're dating them, you behave a certain way, etc. that it would be hard to determine if any of them are telling the truth, and, if so, whom.

It's not a bad reverse harem, but I'm sure that, in a season or two, I probably won't recall it. It's leaving the same impression that Hiiro no Kakera left upon me, which, after finishing it a couple of weeks ago, I can scarcely recall any of the character's names.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I went and read the game spoilers, and I'm done with it. If you are wondering, no, there's no epic story, or some grand mystery here. It's just a cliche that's been done so many times before.

Too bad you didn't like Ukyo's route Sad it's really well done and it will answer all the questions..Oh well its your opinion Cool

Oh, I didn't PLAY it. I just read the spoilers. Yes, Ukyo's route did sound a hell of lot more interesting then the other 4. Actually, it was the only fun one, from what I read.
lelliel wrote:
I haven't seen the swimming scene in question, but I'm just going to leave this here.

How drowning looks like in real life:
Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning
Recognize The Real Signs of Drowning

The More You Know.

All of that is correct, but in that scene, she doesn't move, like at all. She just sinks.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the worst shows so far imo for this Winter Season. Hell, even the latest episode had spoiler[Kento] getting only a single episode of highlight.

Quote:
...and rarely speaking in complete sentences.

Lol, true that right there.

I'm still hanging onto this series but it's not my type of show for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show after episode 6, since It wasn't making me feel good. I got tired of the Groundhog Day resets, and the heroine having absolutely no investment in recovering her memories.

Brains Base could have just replaced the girl's head with a giant meat bun.

...but that would have improved it enough to keep me watching. Especially if the guy-du-jour was calling her that name in sultry, dulcet, and seductive tones: "There could be a crowd of beautiful women, but my eyes would only be seeing you, .... Meatbun"

Princess_Irene wrote:
...there's a good chance I will give the second half a lower grade, but at this point it still gets the benefit of the doubt because, despite myself, I am intrigued. (As opposed to, for example, Brave 10, which I had to force myself to get through.)

Brave 10! LOL. Filed in the "So-bad-it's-good" category for me. At least ALL the characters were flapping their lips so I could turn down the volume and create my own dialog.

Rebecca, It's too bad we won't hear your verdict until the end of the series, since I would consider watching Amnesia again if you were participating in the discussion. So far there is only one fan and a lot of (deserved) complaints Wink
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching this thing, for reasons unknown to me. It kind of reminds me of School Days in that it's poorly executed with a pathetic lead character that infuriates me, yet I won't drop it. The Toma arc is perhaps the lowest low for the series, and still I can't look away. Is this protagonist the worst in anime? At least, for shojo she must be!
I keep wishing this series would pull a twist on us and reveal that she died on August 1st, and she's having to go through these different worlds to learn which one was REALLY how she died, and Ukyo is a shinigami or something. Which won't happen. It should, though! That would be AWESOME! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2