• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Decades of Decadence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
First off:
Quote:
Get that Twin Spica manga now, kids, because it's going out of print!

It's a wonderful manga that tells a compelling and simply heartfelt story that I think almost anybody could enjoy. It's one of my absolute favorites.

Now then...

That clip from Ken the Wolf Boy is a hoot. I recognize a lot of those voices from watching Cartoon Network back when it was Ted Turner's dumping ground for the Hanna-Barbera library. The part where one of the wolves accidentally runs off the cliff then seems to hover in outer space mysteriously without any clear punchline was surrealistic comedy gold, even if that wasn't quite the intent.

8th Man After was one of the first anime I ever saw. It turned up on the Sci-Fi Channel a few times. For some reason, I remembered it as a smoky, moody, slightly somber sci-fi noir piece, which isn't quite accurate, as I found out back in 2011 when I watched it again for the first time in probably 14 or 15 years.

Man... 2003. Those were the days. I had been riding high on the anime hog since catching Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim in '01. Anime was all over the stores, plenty of good stuff was on television, we had a bunch of licensing companies of all sizes and my whole future was ahead of me. Now if you find anime in a store is likely because the stockboys made a mistake, most of what's on TV is dubiously dubbed kid's stuff or the rump Toonami, only a handful of licensing companies are left and I'm bitterly depressed over how my life has turned out, counting the years as I die at my desk, just waiting to retire so I can finish the job in the comfort of my own shabby home..

Oh, hey, I've still got some Crown Royal Black left! Well, we'll just see about that.

Funny thing is, even though it was shown on Adult Swim, I haven't seen Wolf's Rain. At the time I was growing impatient with anime (shame on me) and I started each episode a little annoyed because the opening sounded like a lame Phil Collins song. But if there's a Walrus fight, I just gotta see it.

Man, those were the days.

Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Before I make like a tree and get the heck outta here

*SLAP!*

It's leave, you idiot! "Make like a tree and leave!" You look like a damn FOOL when you type it wrong!

Maybe you realize this and just didn't quite express it, but just in case and as a public service: please be advised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Before I make like a tree and get the heck outta here

*SLAP!*

It's leave, you idiot! "Make like a tree and leave!" You look like a damn FOOL when you type it wrong!

Maybe you realize this and just didn't quite express it, but just in case and as a public service: please be advised

Clip also relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO1w4XZUALA
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Well goddamn me! I had completely forgotten that. Well, don't I look like a silly son of a bitch then?

Mea culpa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Wolf's Rain, or as I like to call it, Keiko Nobumoto's shame. Such gorgeous art, such nice animation, wonderful concepts, and lackluster execution. It squeezed every bit of good will it had via the production values with its dull, uneventful narrative and disconnected themes, and by the end I was just glad it was over. How could the writer of Cowboy Bebop do so horribly on her own? It's a true tragedy of anime.

That's right, Final Yamato did come out the year of my birth! So did two James Bond movies, Octopussy and Never Say Never Again. So with that in mind... yeah, 83 was a pretty lackluster year. Sure, Final Yamato was beautiful, but bringing Okita back just to kill him off again was plain dumb, and Nishizaki ruined the ending with Resurrection. Well, at least the viewer gets to play voyeur during Susumu and Yuki's honeymoon night. LOVE SUPREME...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Good god that Wolf's Rain clip! Laughing The best part is that it's impossible to take it seriously since it makes no sense that a walrus would go crazy and attack four wolves. Still the human parts were well done.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Good god that Wolf's Rain clip! Laughing The best part is that it's impossible to take it seriously since it makes no sense that a walrus would go crazy and attack four wolves. Still the human parts were well done.

Except the entire part where he explains his anger and why he's attacking.

I get the LOL WALRUS LOL thing but the episode is really solid.

Melanchthon wrote:
'I'm going to have the final battle of the apocalypse be a giant walrus fight, animated by someone that has never actually seen a walrus before,'

it isn't the final episode and it isn't the last fight in the show what are you talking about

Last edited by Zac on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
That Walrus Fight redub was the best thing to ever come out of Wolf's Rain. Actually, that sums up a lot of my problems with the show. I'm not going to use the word 'pretentious' because it's a dirty word around here, but there is a certain arrogance in this show, that can say 'I'm going to have the final battle of the apocalypse be a giant walrus fight, animated by someone that has never actually seen a walrus before,' and be completely serious about it.

I was always under the impression that Crusher Joe was a boxing flick. Apparently, I got it mixed up with something else. Huh. I know there is a boxing franchise featuring a kid named Joe, and I must have assumed this was part of it. Now I have to go and watch it, it sounds interesting.
Quote:
Crusher Joe is informed by the success of fare like Star Wars...

It's rather interesting to see the effect Star Wars had on anime of that time. Right after Jedi hit there shores, Urusei Yatsura had a very long parody scene of almost the entire movie, including Megane doing the 'It's a trap!' bit as Akbar. And one scene of Galaxy Express 999, Tetsuro was reading a Star Wars fanzine. I find things that are universally shared between two distinct cultures to be fascinating.

I've always found Ah My Goddess to be interesting, namely due to the fact that what is a essentially an adolescent wish-fulfillment fantasy of a hybrid lover/mother had such staying power. The OVA is clearly the best version of the story, not in the least because it succinctly sums up everything the story has to say into a nice, tight package. Sitting through the TV series re-hashing the same wornout plot devices was excruciating. But the there was something that always bothered me about OMGodess. The three goddesses are named after the Norns of Norse mythology. There's Urd, who sees the past, Skuld that sees the future, and then there is Verdandi, who sees the present. Now, it's rather clear that Belldandy is corruption of Verdandi, but I've always wondered where the mistranslation happened. Did the Japanese insist on it, like the whole Harlock/Herlock thing, or did the English translators not know anything about Norse mythology? See, this is what happens when we remove religion from our schools! This is important, dammit!
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Quote:
Get that Twin Spica manga now, kids, because it's going out of print!

Oddly enough, Planetes did come out over here, wonder why that came over, but not Twin Spica... I was unaware it had a foreign English dub. If it's anything like Fantastic Children's dub though, it will be horrible to sit through.

That one's easy enough to answer. Planetes is a Sunrise show and went to Bandai. Also, the art style doesn't make the series look like something aimed at elementary school children. Which is something Vertical has said they heard a lot of complaints about with the manga and as much as I love Spica, I can't say that isn't justified.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I know someone who got into the Munto manga when she read scans of it online. I had never heard of it, but I managed to track down the OVA in English, and she watched it, and seemed to enjoy it. The series unfortunately has never been brought over here.

You mean the nine episode series from a few years back? The first two thirds of it were actually the first two OVAs which did come out here just cut up for a tv airing and then the last three were the new ova minus an introduction scene so I can't say you're really missing out, although I can see why people want the series for completions sake.

*looks gulitly at her half finished Twin Spica set* I'm working on it I swear!
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The number of anime series and movies that come out in any given year these days that I enjoy is about 2 or 3...4 tops. Looking at that list from 2003 with so many titles that I not only enjoyed but actually loved is rather mind-boggling by comparison.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anything could round off that box of crap better than a DVD titled "Doggie Poo."
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
It's probably closing in on too late to collect Twin Spica already. I mean, volume 9 is currently going for $80 on Amazon, as is volume 11. I'd expect volumes 5 and 10 to start spiking in price as well since they're both delisted from RightStuf and presumably becoming harder to find. Thankfully I listened to classicalzawa and was able to get all the volumes either on RightStuf for cheap or at MSRP, maybe a dollar or two more. But hey, maybe you can luck out and find it on eBay for cheap, or hidden away in some comics shop.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Coo isn't completely forgotten.

There are a couple of English-subbed releases of it, one using the LD-release of it that came out in Japan, and another using the DVD released in Italy(with the Italian audio stripped). Both using the original subs from an earlier VHS-fansub, which coincidentally also can be found ripped out there.

Oddly enough, Coo was also dubbed in German and broadcasted a few times in the mid- to late nineties on television. I still have my VHS copy somewhere in the attic and was lucky enough to find the original japanese soundtrack used for a few hundred yen.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I was only looking at a whole 1993 anime chart a day or two ago in a thread about the differences of that year and this, and it's fairly clear the standout anime is Patlabor 2. Other than that there's like 20 TV anime total and a whole bunch of dumpable OVAs with only about 15 salvageable ones, or at least ones I can recognize and remember. As much as everyone reminisce about the past, I'd take today's anime seasons over the early 90s any day. You may have a couple of good shows a year, but that's it!

Funny, I have the opposite impression. Many tv shows back then were kids shows, based on some popular and long running shounen manga or somewhat obscure science fiction/fantasy OVAs, but nevertheless I find their stories and character`s usually more interesting and engaging than the average good-looking but somehow bland light novel/fantasy output of recent seasons.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:

From 1983's titles i've seen the first Urusei Yatsura movie, the second Unico movie and the Creamy Mami magical girl series, all of which were very enjoyable.I have the first two on DVD and would love to get the opportunity to someday purchase a release of Creamy Mami (though this will probably remain wishful thinking on my part).

You might get the opportunity very soon, though the streaming won't be available outside North America as far as I know: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-07/new-service-to-stream-tekkaman-creamy-mami-yatterman
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's a list of things that came out in 2003: ... Angel Tails...
Every single one of these came out in DVD in North America.

Not quite. Bandai released the original Angel Tails series from 2001 on DVD. The sequel series aired in 2003, but was never released over here.

2003 was definitely a key year for me, a year I consider to be my first "in the fandom," 2003 anime were foremost in some of my earliest DVD and fansub acquisitions, and still populate a fair portion of my favorites list. But even without those personal associations, I still think 2003 would stand as a landmark year, thanks to the wide variety and diversity of its output. Just off the top of my head, there was plenty of...

Space/sci-fi: Planetes, Twin Spica, Stellvia, and the mixed merits of Divergence Eve

Otherworldly settings: Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, Fullmetal Alchemist (which due to nostalgia I still see as better than the 2009 reboot), Last Exile

Dark/Experimental: Shadow Star Narutaru, Texhnolyze

Episodic/Family Dramedy: Human Crossing, Rumiko Takahashi Anthology (sadly forming two massive bombs in Geneon's arsenal)

Harem/Fanservice/b00bZ/etc.: Popotan, Happy Lesson Advance, Ikki-Tousen, UFO Princess Valkyrie 2, Green Green (despite its many flaws, the central supernatural romantic thread was charming enough), Midori Days, Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi

Drama/Romance Eroge/VN Adaptations: Da Capo, Rumbling Hearts

More chaste and low-key romance shows: DN Angel, Nanaka 6/17

Nods to the American audience: Kaleido Star, Chrono Crusade

Period Drama: Mermaid Forest, Peacemaker Kurogane

Gag/Random comedy: Dokkoida, Cromartie High School, Wandaba Style (yes, it was cheesy and dumb, but it had its moments)

The only thing I really see as missing are shoujo and Magical Girl anime; there was the Ultra Maniac series, but Toei was doing Tomorrow's Nadja in its off-year between the end of Magical Doremi and the beginning of Pretty Cure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4