• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Decades of Decadence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Funny, I have the opposite impression. Many tv shows back then were kids shows, based on some popular and long running shounen manga or somewhat obscure science fiction/fantasy OVAs, but nevertheless I find their stories and character`s usually more interesting and engaging than the average good-looking but somehow bland light novel/fantasy output of recent seasons.

You're thinking of the more popular shows like Galaxy Express I take it, but I mean unwatchable kid anime with zero budget, stuff that will never be subbed because no one cares to even hunt down raws. I'm talking about those, not the World Masterpiece Theaters and such. I just don't have any personal interest in cheap 50 episode series meant for 8 year olds, even if they're not all that bad.
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
What! You talk about 2003 and you don't mention Human Crossing? Confused You disappoint me Mike! Razz Wink

but seriously this was a great article, a lot of my favorite anime came out in 2003. It's such a shame L/R never get a lot of recognition. Sure it wasn't perfect, and it was silly at times, but it was a lot of fun.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
2003's anime was pretty much when I really started getting into anime (in 2004). Anime Unleashed on TechTV really helped with R.O.D. TV which is still one of my favorite anime. It wasnt for another 5 years or so that I watched Gunslinger Girl which has become another favorite franchise of mine. I also remember the all-day Last Exile spree Anime Unleashed did on Christmas 2004. That was an awesome year for anime IMO, 2003. I hope 2013 becomes as memorable.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Animatrix was aso 03, and some of those were REALLY well animated.

Thanks for putting me on to Munto and Dallos. I'm going to track those down now, as they seem pretty interesting.

I think I'll also get around to finally watching Crusher Joe. I'm a real big fan of Venus Wars (same director) and I hear that they have a lot of similarities in their execution and style.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Swissman wrote:
Funny, I have the opposite impression. Many tv shows back then were kids shows, based on some popular and long running shounen manga or somewhat obscure science fiction/fantasy OVAs, but nevertheless I find their stories and character`s usually more interesting and engaging than the average good-looking but somehow bland light novel/fantasy output of recent seasons.

You're thinking of the more popular shows like Galaxy Express I take it,

Actually I'm thinking of early nineties shows because that's what you originally were talking about, weren't you? (Galaxy Express is from 1979). I'm thinking of shows like Aoki Densetsu Shoot!, a well-made sports anime from Toei with some decent character drama and character designs from the duo Shingo Araki/Michi Himeno, the super popular Slam Dunk or the niche sf show Captain Tylor. Kadokawa on the other hand produced some pretty theatrical animation like the Silent Moebius movies, Arslan or The Weathering Continent.

All I want to say is that the early ninenties had some pretty good stuff if you look at the overall output. As for unwatchable kid anime with zero budget, I wouldn't know by heart what shows would fit your description from that era. Shows like Jungle King Ta-chan, Nintama Rantarô or your average Sunrise mecha/yûsha-show, maybe? But these are still made today.

Meh, to each his own Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Too late, volumes 9 and 10 of Twin Spica are already rarer than hen's teeth by the looks of it. Oh well.

That monochrome Ken clip had 1965 as copyright, also I think I recognised the other Yogi Bear series voice of Bobo with the second wolf cub twin there.

OMG OVA is still played at our house during the Christmas season, like some people play "Miracle on 49th. Street", "White Christmas", or "Wizard Of Oz" featuring Judy Garland. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it. One of the best thing, (if not the only best thing) AnimEgo ever released dubbed. Laughing
VinceA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
So glad Mike brought up Dallos. I digitized a copy of it late last year to show at this year's AnimeNEXT and now one of our guests just did an 'ad' for it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Ocean Waves is available with English subtitles on region 2 DVD from Japan.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8026

This and Only Yesterday are the only two Ghibli features that were not released on DVD in the US. The region 2 DVD of Only Yesterday also has subtitles, as do the various Studio Ghibli documentaries.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:

This and Only Yesterday are the only two Ghibli features that were not released on DVD in the US. The region 2 DVD of Only Yesterday also has subtitles, as do the various Studio Ghibli documentaries.
It's also available from Amazon.co.uk too.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Gilles Poitras wrote:

It's also available from Amazon.co.uk too.

Amazon.co.uk is a good place to look for anime with English subtitles. You can get a DVD of the early Takahata/Miyazaki work, Horus, Prince of the Sun, Tatami Galaxy, and a few other things available for some reason in England, but not here (all Region 2 DVDs). Also, the shipping rates are generally very good.

If I had a multi-region player (or an additional player to dedicate to region 3), I'd also explore some of the Australian releases (Kuuchu Buranko, Dennou Coil and I think Kaiba. There's a DVD-company-owner down there who brings these things out as a labor of love.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
All I want to say is that the early ninenties had some pretty good stuff if you look at the overall output.

I agree. Very Happy Some of the all-time classic anime series were releasing during the early 90's, shows like Dragon Ball Z, Ranma, Tenchi Muyo, Sailor Moon, Nadia of the Secret Blue Water, Lodoss War, G Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho and Slam Dunk, as well as some of the Patlabor incarnations and Ninja Scroll. There were also the lesser known but still memorable works like Captain Tylor, Giant Robo, Pizza Cats, Nuku Nuku, You're Under Arrest, Oh My Goddess!, 3x3 Eyes, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Moomin, Yawara!, Moldiver, Ushio & Tora, K.O. Beast, Kishin Corps, Nuku Nuku, Mahoujin Guru Guru, Plastic Little, Shin Cutie Honey, Phantom Quest Corp., Ryu Knight, etc., and by the mid-90's we were getting El Hazard, Slayers, etc. The spirit and feel of the early to mid 90's seemed a little more light-hearted and fresher than the sort of works coming out during the 80's, and less philosophically heavy than some of the shows that came out towards the end of the 90's and early aughts, so for me it holds a special place in my memories. There was less anime releasing back then, but the spirit and nature of the shows was great too.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Amazon sells Phillips DVD players for around $60 that can easily be set to all regions and that do PAL/NTSC conversion. (Read the review comments to be certain that a particular player is capable of both functions.)

With one of these (I have an older DVP5140 player) you truly can play just about any DVD from anywhere.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to watch Munto TV for years now, but I had no idea that there was an OVA as well. I'll have to check if I can watch that online somewhere before watching Munto TV.

Gilles Poitras wrote:

I still don't understand why Only Yesterday hasn't been released in the US. It's easily one of my favourite Ghibli movies and it should be made available everywhere if you ask me.

Oh and since dm mentioned the R2 release of Tatami Galaxy... If anyone wants to buy that one, better get it before it's completely unavailable. It was released by Bandai's European branch, Beez, and they've stopped releasing dvds as well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh and since dm mentioned the R2 release of Tatami Galaxy... If anyone wants to buy that one, better get it before it's completely unavailable. It was released by Bandai's European branch, Beez, and they've stopped releasing dvds as well.

No need since Siren Visual is also releasing it in Australia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

No need since Siren Visual is also releasing it in Australia.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4