• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Decades of Decadence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I've been meaning to watch Munto TV for years now, but I had no idea that there was an OVA as well. I'll have to check if I can watch that online somewhere before watching Munto TV.

Do note that the Munto TV series comprises of both OVAs stitched together plus added new content so you're better off with just the TV series.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTebbetts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Just saying that I'm happy to see the influx of visitors to the Golden-Ani site! This thing will be running until July, so feel free to visit as we touch all of the bases with some of the bigger names in aniblogging!

The Golden Ani-Versary of Anime
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mike - I gotta respectfully disagree over Patlabor 2 being Oshii's finest film. Not that it's a bad movie - it's great. I enjoy it immensely. Unfortunately, it's also slightly dour - all of the humor from earlier installments in the franchise is completely gone, never to return - made more depressing by Oshii's (IIRC) earlier involvement in New Files, which had, frankly, some of the most absolutely hilarious moments I've seen, well, television in general (I can't even think about the bathhouse episode without smiling).

If I was gonna make a pick for Oshii's best big-screen work, I'd go with either Patlabor I (due to it being probably the funniest Oshii film I've seen - though I admit I haven't seen his Urusei Yatsura films), or Jin-Roh, based on the Kerebos Panzer Corps universe being Oshii's baby (even more than Patlabor was), and thus wanting to do right by it.

(That last paragraph was really clunkily worded, and I'd like to apologize.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
CountZeroOR wrote:
Mike - I gotta respectfully disagree over Patlabor 2 being Oshii's finest film. Not that it's a bad movie - it's great. I enjoy it immensely. Unfortunately, it's also slightly dour - all of the humor from earlier installments in the franchise is completely gone, never to return

The humor's completely gone from P2? You didn't chuckle when Goto Kiichi was commenting about the spoiler[song lyrics when he, Nagumo Shinobu, and Arakawa are looking at the video tape], or when spoiler[Instructor] Ohta was spoiler[ranting at the trainees and then demonstrating how to kill the target]? I was also amused by Det. Matsui, spoiler[when he broke out of confinement, carrying the pipe that he'd been secured to].

I love the film, and probably still have it at the top of my list of favorite anime. It wasn't stuffed with gags, but there was sufficient humor in Patlabor 2 and it's got a great story.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:
Mike - I gotta respectfully disagree over Patlabor 2 being Oshii's finest film. Not that it's a bad movie - it's great. I enjoy it immensely. Unfortunately, it's also slightly dour - all of the humor from earlier installments in the franchise is completely gone, never to return

The humor's completely gone from P2? You didn't chuckle when Goto Kiichi was commenting about the spoiler[song lyrics when he, Nagumo Shinobu, and Arakawa are looking at the video tape], or when spoiler[Instructor] Ohta was spoiler[ranting at the trainees and then demonstrating how to kill the target]? I was also amused by Det. Matsui, spoiler[when he broke out of confinement, carrying the pipe that he'd been secured to].

I love the film, and probably still have it at the top of my list of favorite anime. It wasn't stuffed with gags, but there was sufficient humor in Patlabor 2 and it's got a great story.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Patlabor 2 immensely, and if we get a Blu-Ray release in the US, I will definitely pick it up, but I've always felt that the Patlabor series was at its best when it was a comedy/dramedy franchise, and Patlabor 2 felt more like a conventional drama, and a definite break from the rest of the series - almost like a total shift.

WXIII fixed that for me though - spoiler[With the death of the monster being done by Noa, and the monster's creator killing herself shortly afterwards, I could kind of see how Noa would fall out of love with Alphonse - leading to her views on Labor piloting from the start of Patlabor 2.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
This was a great article. I learned a lot today.

I didn't know anime was that new. 1963? The 60s even? In the west we've had stuff like Warner Brother's Bugs Bunny cartoons since the WW II days. (and, of course, proto-Mickey mouse since the 20s). Japanese guys were way behind the US animation, it seems.

That Chargeman Ken link was...priceless. The best 5 minutes of my life. Now, I want to see the whole series.

Oh, and there's so much stuff I haven't seen. Good stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, there was Japanese animation alright - the first being in 1917 - but it wasn't a proper industry except for use in government propaganda. Plus, according to Wikipedia, it was hard for the Japanese to compete with foreign works, as cel animation was expensive to make. Then after the war Japan had to rebuild and get its economy going again. It's interesting - but not at all surprising - that Anime only really became an industry in the sixties when Japan entered its boom years.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain is one of my favourite anime series, though like many anime I love, I've only watched it once (combination of ADHD and large backlog), well, my DVDs of it skipped so I'll have an excuse to watch it again with my replacement copy, yeah the 4 recaps are unfortunate but it's a beautiful series, the animation and design hold up well IIRC and as you say the characters are unconventional and interesting.

I love Disney's version of The Jungle Book, and would really like to see the Russian version which was released with an English dub narrated by Charlton Heston, I've seen some clips and the design and animation are good, I can't really think of an anime version of that particular story that looks worth watching.

Panda! Go, Panda! I'm not a big fan of, it's cute but it's practically an anime for pre-schoolers, and it's nowhere near as good as say, The Clangers or Sesame Street or Dogtato-kun as far as exceptional preschooler programming goes.

Would like to see Cleopatra and have seen Belladonna of Sorrow which I thought was fascinating, wish there were more anime movies as ambitious and unique and otherworldly as that.

Aim for the Ace! is of interest to me as I enjoyed Osamu Dezaki's Rose of Versailles, though I don't know if I'll enjoy the former as much as the latter.

Quote:
Kids flocked to fare like Aura Battler Dunbine and Captain Tsubasa and Kinnikuman and Creamy Mami, shows that would become standard-bearers for their genres.

I've heard of all of these but haven't seen any of them and probably never will. I haven't seen Urusei Yatsura: Only You, I've only seen Beautiful Dreamer as that's got the best reputation of all the UY movies, I like Beautiful Dreamer but I don't really feel compelled to watch the rest of the movies or the series after seeing it (I have seen a few episodes of the series though). Really want to make time to watch at least one whole Leiji Matsumoto show (I'll probably go with Space Pirate Captain Harlock). Unico in the Island of Magic is a must watch for me, but I haven't seen it yet, can't wait to as Unico is just so utterly adorable, gonna get the first movie and the manga too.

Quote:
But for me, two movies really stand out in 1983. One of them is Crusher Joe; the other one is Noel's Fantastic Trip.

I'm lucky enough to own the Crusher Joe movie and OVAs set put out by Animeigo, though I'm not a massive fan of the movie, I do like it, it's certainly fun. Noel's Fantastic Trip sounds cute and very, very 70s actually, even if it did come out in the 80s.

Armored Trooper Votoms - I own the show in those four sets that don't have anything to keep them shut that CPM put out, haven't watched it yet but am looking forward to doing so eventually, the first few episodes were interesting and I really like the opening theme, though the DVD quality isn't great, I doubt a remastered edition will be released in the u.s. though.

As far as Casshern goes, I'll probably end up just watching the recent Casshern Sins and leave it at that, I keep on stalling on picking it up and am now wondering whether that recent S.A.V.E. Edition BD set is Region B compatible or I should just buy the cheap u.k. set? I have Orguss 02 and the original Macross series so I'll watch Macross before Orguss 02

Would like to see Irresponsible Captain Tylor, but it's hard to find now, Please Save My Earth is utterly wonderful even if it only covers less than half of the manga, I hope my DVD of it doesn't start to malfunction from age.

Quote:
The aforementioned Oshii was at it again with arguably his finest film, Patlabor 2.

Personally my favourites of his are Angel's Egg (which incidentally makes a great double bill with the french animated film Gwen, the Book of Sand) and The Sky Crawlers (also Jin-Roh if you count films he wrote but didn't direct), I do like Patlabor 2 quite a bit though, maybe I should watch it again. If I ever get round to Slam Dunk it'll probably be the manga rather than the anime. Battle Angel Alita is good for what it is but way too short, but I'm glad I own a copy of it and Dragon Half I found a little too stupid and crude to really enjoy but I love the ending theme, actually I think it was two episodes of a TV series that they didn't continue rather than an OVA? Not really into Oh! My Goddess, but the character designs are just lovely.

Quote:
Here in the ‘states, we're also still waiting for a DVD release of Studio Ghibli's Ocean Waves, an artful, wistful little TV movie about kids in high school that first aired in 1993. It's directed by Tomomi Mochizuki, a man who specializes in turning natsukashii, that sweet nostalgia for a time that may not have existed, into a physical thing that you can watch on your television. I hope we get a video release eventually, because I'm starting to feel natsukashii for the one time I saw it at a film festival, years ago.

For once it's a plus to be an anime fan living in the u.k., I own the Optimum release and it's one of my favourite Ghibli movies, also nice because Tomomi Mochizuki doesn't tend to direct standalone movies, so it's a change from his usual (excellent) TV work and franchise films.

I've seen and enjoyed all of these: Someday's Dreamers, Kino's Journey, Last Exile, Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tokyo Godfathers.

Apart from SD and FMP: Fumoffu they are among my favourite anime of all time.

These are all in my DVD backlog: Gad Guard, Kaleido Star, Scrapped Princess, Stellvia, Gilgamesh, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, Planetes, R.O.D -The TV-.

I'd like to see all of these: The Big-O series 2, Nanaka 6/17, Gunparade March, Munto, D.N.Angel, Texhnolyze, Avenger, Bottle Fairy, Peacemaker Kurogane, Tsukihime, Godannar, Bo-bo-bo-bo Bo-bo-bo, Chrono Crusade.

The Cromartie High School anime is decent but the manga is so much better that I couldn't watch it, and Dokkoida is painfully average IMO.

Quote:
Almost every 2003 anime got some sort of commercial release, but you know what didn't? Twin Spica.

Unfortunately, as from what I've seen it's a good show Sad

Quote:
Get that Twin Spica manga now, kids, because it's going out of print!

I bought the whole thing when they announced that it was going OOP, haven't read it yet but I will one day *determined face*.

Quote:
the rest would show up instead for manglobe's Samurai Champloo the following year

Which is another one of my favourite shows, the visual design is gorgeously unique and colourful and graffiti-hip-hop styled and it's just so freakin' good, my only complaint is that the violence in the first episode is considerably more disturbing than that in subsequent ones so if you show someone the first episode they might be really put off even though the rest of the show doesn't have anything as Tarantino-esque as the first ep, I'm not arguing in favour of censorship, it's just that I had to put up with my dad's wife going on about how awful it was and how the people who made it must be disturbed (and this is why I don't watch anime with "normals", I don't even enjoy violence in entertainment usually but I can't put up with that kind of dramatized outrage at cartoons).

And I am disappointed that you didn't talk up the original FMA anime, as it was utterly incredible, but it's your column, so you get to choose what you write about, and it's not like Wolf's Rain is a minor footnote by comparison.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Man that whole thing with Wolf's Rain, was a hoot. It was a little long though. Man haven't heard that song in ages. I'm suddenly reminded of my days of pre-Elmo, non-PC Sesame Street and OS Electric Company.

For a minute I was going to hold your feet to fire about BGC until I saw you mention it. BGC is a phenomenal piece of anime history for what it presented during that time period.

As I read over the list I remember my days of living with the little exposure to anime. In the 70's for me I got my taste of 'Speed Racer'. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't try and catch a moment of the show. Then it got moved to the mornings and I was constantly being berrated because I could never get my socks on for school without being distracted. The weekends were held with much anticipation as I awaited the one weekend where I would get Godzilla gracing my B&W TV or Gamera. As the 70's began winding to a close Gatchaman was on the air as Battle of the Planets. At one point in time the 3pm time slot was owned by Bullwinkle to Underdog and Tennesse Tuxedo. Now it was all about 5 man bird crew with awesome skills, a ship that turns into a flaming bird fighting mechanical monsters controlled by a bat-eared villain and a giant face within an eye. Ultraman graced my summer mornings.

In the 80's we saw Starblazers. I couldn't get into it because I wanted Battle of the Planets. That's what happens when you move from Fla to NY. Years later after when I would visit other states with family you'd see other shows. Like Sebastian, Candy Candy, Tranzor-Z (aka Mazinger-Z). My first exposure to the insanity of Go Nagai. Then came Robotech. By HS it was all everyone talked about. Then you found out the truth. The guys that I hung out with who loved anime and talked about it every morning before class would critique Voltron, and the Voltron team-up movie. During my HS years I began attending anime clubs. Prefectural Earth Defense Force (which was released by the late ADV) was the first OVA I had ever seen. Dallos was the 2nd OVA I saw. I fondly remember the room filled with teens and middle-aged fanboys talk about how well the bullets were animated. Again that was the same year, the mid to late 80's where mecha was a taking off. Mecha a term later coined. Fans would find Japanese specialty shops around NYC. Hobbylink Japan and Newtype along with other anime magazines such as Animedia, Animage, The Anime, and MyAnime would grace the shelves. More wartime genre anime would come out of the 80's era of the 70's, but more into the whole wartime genre. Sure we knew Robotech but we'd know them by Macross, Mospeada, and The Southern Cross. And of course there's Gundam. Never knew what the deal was. I could never sit still for sci-fi type anime but I knew a whole mess of people who could. L-Gaim, Mobile Suit Gundam, Orguss and Dirty Pair were what the club screened every 2nd week of every month. Yes, then there was Crusher Joe. I'd never seen this film. I finally purchased it for my collection but have yet to sit and watch it. I remember watching the OVA feature some years ago raw, but now it's time to actually sit and watch the whole shebang. And then there's Project A-ko. I watched quite a bit of anime raw.

By the late 80's studio AIC was the name I would remember. Iczer-1 was the 2nd OVA I saw at a anime club. Then came Johji Manabe's Outlanders. Then came BGC. Friends and I would talk about this all the time. It would be years later that I would actually sit down and see the series for what it was. But I remember how much it had an impact on fans who saw it for the first time. The first OVA opens with a concert while hell is going on in another scene. It would spawn fans that wanted to see the show go further. But we all know what happened with that project. Dangaioh was new, more OVAs, Birth, Harmagedon, Wicked City, Black Magic M-66, Appleseed, Birth of the Overfiend, and more Kawajiri goodness. But let's not forget Windaria which I'd been curious about but had never seen. I know it was released on VHS some years ago. Who knows it may see a comeback. When I was in college and after I met more people who introduced me to much of the older shows of the 70's. I started getting into Go Nagai's robot shows. Once again I would revisit his work. Then came Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira, Robot Carnival, and the first half of Giant Robo. All of which are grand pieces of work during the last half of the 80's to the 90's. Then came Miyazaki and such films as Castle in the Sky Laputa, Totoro, Kiki and taking a journey back in history Nausicaa. urely folks know of the Devilman OVAs, I hope that one day they will be released again. Discotek I'm talking to you. I would find out years later that Ghibli at the time who used the name Totoro Studio's was involved with the animation on those films.

We've continued to watch the scene from the 90's and onward to the 2000's. It would be years before I finally sat down to watch Evangelion. I remember when it was talked about but didn't know the extent of it. I was more afraid that it was going to be so deep and complicated that I wouldn't get it. Tenchi, Cowboy Bebop, the Big O, then to Wolf's Rain. Y'know I found it interesting that some folks couldn't get Wolf's Rain. They wondered if the wolves were wolves or humans. It seems that every year carries with it a certain nostalgia. It's like a "had to be there moment". There's still quite a films that I never seen or have seen and didn't know they were anime features. Thanks to Discotek I've had the opportunity to have that ability. You have to admit it's been quite a journey. I have a backlog as well. I need to catch up with a lot of shows I collected. Some of which have been listed here. I just hope that one day I will get the chance to see some of the older films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4