• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Filler Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Please, enlighten me as to the "entire core concept of the show," which I seem to have missed.

Making yourself ashamed of watching anime? Dunno.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

Having a crappy plot is a criticism that doesn't apply to some comedies and some slice of life shows. It totally applies to a sci-fi magical girl show - where the plot is obviously defending the Incarnate Engine from the Alone and Homura's subplot. It's not silly enough for the acquisition of additional Vivids to be really justified, but the show's lighthearted and fun enough that that you don't care.

How is it not silly enough for that, precisely?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why does no one see the point of Vividred? 'The plot sucks' isn't really a flaw in a show that doesn't try to have a plot. 'Too much fanservice' isn't a flaw in an echhi show. 'It's too ridiculous' isn't a flaw in a show that aims to be completely ridiculous. For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

Having a crappy plot is a criticism that doesn't apply to some comedies and some slice of life shows. It totally applies to a sci-fi magical girl show - where the plot is obviously defending the Incarnate Engine from the Alone and Homura's subplot. It's not silly enough for the acquisition of additional Vivids to be really justified, but the show's lighthearted and fun enough that that you don't care.

Basically, "but it's not trying to have a plot" is a cop-out. If they'd said "Akane, as the central Vivid, your innate powers of friendship can unlock three further Keys" or something, that would have justified it (... enough, probably). As Bamboo said in the article, the way they suddenly doubled their forces with no difficulty is a flaw in the writing. Vividred's plot is silly enough for its tone and genre but not as well-done as it could be.

Questioning logic in a show that isn't supposed to be logical? Brilliant. The entire write up only serves to prove my point.

I don't know much about professional reviewing, but calling something 'a slap in the face of anime fans' because you don't fall within the target audience doesn't sound very professional to me. I think the show's just slapping Bamboo in the face for taking it seriously. When in this situation there are several things you can do. You can:

a)Learn to go with the flow and start enjoying it for what it is

b)Realise that the show isn't for you and drop it with respect for those who enjoy it.

Or in Bamboo's case:

c)Drop it, throw a huge hissy fit and call the show an undeniable abomation that should not have existed.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

While I can't put my finger on how exactly it's the case, there is something about people preaching, "cartoons are not meant to be taken seriously", that I feel adds to the problem of anime and even most animation in general recieving whatever stigmas they get in terms of appealing to a very limited amount of people.
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
I feel like Space Bros. almost does its job too well. I want to watch it, and yet I don't, because I feel like I might get way too involved with the show. I watched the first 20 or so episodes and loved it, but when spoiler[I started hearing that later in the show Hibito's life is in danger and that he might die] I stopped watching. By that point I was already so involved with all the characters that even thinking about such a thing just sounded painfully sad.

I'll pick it up again in the future, for sure, but only when I can marathon the whole thing. I can't deal with its pacing when its dealing with intensity like that.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
@Polycell: Maybe it's not contradicted in the mechanics of the plot, but Akane instantly befriending and creating two more allies cheapens the strength of her friendship with Aoi, which the story had painted as being this great, wonderful thing, and the value of the two sole warriors-type thing. They should be able to increase their forces greatly just by introducing friendly people to Akane and making them kiss her. I don't know why she hasn't created a key for Momo yet (for one thing, the loli incest angle with their Docking would be strong fetish material, and of course I say this only as a matter of academic interest regarding otaku). It's a more than acceptable gap in logic considering the type of tone Vividred Operation wishes to convey, but it's still a flaw in the show's writing if you're going to look at it objectively. You could say episode 2 overplayed it and presented it too seriously - but then it was better than the others, unless you're going to deny any worth as a legitimate series.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
stuff
How is it not silly enough for that, precisely?

It has a real, legitimate story is all. It's not a disposable parody plot like, say, Puni Puni Poemy or Ninja Nonsense or whatever.

There's a line between taking a show seriously "at all even slightly" or "never". Whether a plot hole is a flaw or not depends on where the show is designed to be placed. I see Vividred as a show that can be taken seriously and thus consider a flaw in the plot to be an actual flaw. I don't actually care, but I dislike the argument that "being fun" invalidates all criticism.

@SquadmemberRitsu: Yes, I can ignore the flaws and enjoy the series. Anyone can. I'm just explaining a flaw that I am ignoring is all. I'd rate the story aspect of the anime thus: "serves the series by providing a scenario for fun, spirited adventures. A tad lacking in logic at times, and not as good as it could be, but in the end, who cares?"
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

While I can't put my finger on how exactly it's the case, there is something about people preaching, "cartoons are not meant to be taken seriously", that I feel adds to the problem of anime and even most animation in general recieving whatever stigmas they get in terms of appealing to a very limited amount of people.
Watching anime is a hobby. You're supposed to enjoy your hobby. If you get enjoyment out of the serious side, so be it. But that doesn't mean everyone thinks like you. If I took each and every aspect of anime seriously, I wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place.
Kaizaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
What about Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai NEXT, it's a pretty good show but I have never seen it on the rankings.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
The start of episode 15 from Psycho Pass has to be one of the most violent parts I've ever seen spoiler[I mean, criminals burning a civilian, beating others to dead resulting in society going crazy and killing everybody.] I'm surprised this article mentioned nothing about Makishima.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Must say that I'm enjoying Robotics;Notes a hell of a lot more than I expected. I honestly can't pick a fault from its 18 episodes so far, it has the best cliffhangers I've seen in a long time. I haven't seen S;G or C;H yet but as the former is so well praised I can't wait now.

Also still watching and still enjoying Senran Kagura.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Watching anime is a hobby. You're supposed to enjoy your hobby. If you get enjoyment out of the serious side, so be it. But that doesn't mean everyone thinks like you. If I took each and every aspect of anime seriously, I wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place.

Sorry, but nope.
Anime, like books, movies, manga, sports, or every other "hobby" can be as serious as they want.
Unless you think that anime, by itself is not to be taken seriously. Then I suppose you think that Ghibli -among others- are wasting their time. And then I wonder why did you got into anime in the first time.

A comedy show is one thing, an awful comedy show is another. If someone cannot understand it, it's not the reviewer's fault.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Watching anime is a hobby.

I don't know about you or anyone else, but the idea of sitting on your butt all day to watch certain things doesn't register as a hobby to me. Sorry.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I'm pretty sure taking serious aspects seriously is the normal way of doing things. Not least because it's the intent of the work itself. Or do you subscribe to the whole Death of the Author thing and think that the only true meaning is what the viewer him/herself takes from the anime (in which case there's no meaning in arguing against other people's interpretations/experiences of the text)?

Look, I enjoy anime more when I find the fun aspects fun and take the serious aspects seriously. Watching best friends Akane and Aoi fighting the sinister Alone to protect their beloved world made possible through the triumph of science that is the Incarnate Engine is much more satisfying than watching two cute teen anime chicks fight aliens with awesome weapons and having explosions and stuff yeah man epic Anime hyper. It comes with having to acknowledge the very minor point that, no, the plot isn't quite as well-written as it could be. But that doesn't bother me, because I like the series.

I see taking a work's plot seriously as a compliment. AKB0048 is an anime I never really got into. I can appreciate the earnestness its characters express towards being idols, but I could never take their singing J-Pop while flying around on hovering stages and fighting robots with lightsaber microphones at the same time seriously. So I appreciate the fun, over-the-top concert scenes as such. That's my personal reaction to the series, and it's no different than what you're saying. But there's no way I'd belittle someone for daring to take the series seriously and becoming personally invested in each character's quest to become a star and express their love to their fans and so on. Partly because I'm not a dick who refuses to countenance appreciating a work in any way except finding it "entertaining", but mostly because that's all right there in the show itself.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Just a few comments -

I agree with Bamboo about Oreshura, I actually commented to my girlfriend as we were watching the last episode that 'it may be a typical harem show in its setup, but at least its actually /funny/", and I continue to find that to be true.

I have to disagree about Pet Girl, though. I find that show as engaging now as I did 10 episodes ago. The recent resolution of Jin and Misaki's storyline I thought was especially powerful and well-done.

As for Problem Children, I absolutely love that series, for the reason one other poster said and most other people seem to /dislike/ it for. It's essentially about an unstoppable, invincible asshole messing up the system because he can. That appeals to me so incredibly much. I said earlier on, "I hope this series is just about Izayoi messing with everyone and then wrecking everyone he fights" and guess what! It is! The fact that he is A) totally invincible and B) a total a-hole is exactly what makes the show so awesome. I'm tired of heroes with flaws and sympathetic personalities. I'm ready for a show about a guy who doesn't give a crap about anything and just goes around knocking down buildings because he can. I mean sure, he's helping the no-names, but the total impression he gives off if he's just doing it for a lark. And I find the whole concept completely amazing. I just hope they /don't/ give him a weakness he has to overcome - that would spoil the whole thing.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
:
2. Magi: Well, it passed my test. It made a filler episode entertaining. That's proof enough for me that this is quality shounen, though I hope the animation quality picks back up when the plot does.

Last weeks episode was not filler it was in the manga as was everything in the anime so far (well the first arc was heavily changed from the manga and their still rushing everything by cramming 4-7 chapters in a episode).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7