• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Filler Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I like Problem Children so far. It's simply just a fun show with a likable cast of characters. I don't expect much, if any, heavy backstory behind the main cast or a dynamic rivalry between the major powers. That said, since it lacks such depth, it's not a show that I'll be singing praises over, but that's perfectly fine too. I just enjoy it for what it is and nothing I've seen has annoyed me yet.

Half of Kotoura-san is also in the same boat. I enjoy the fun little bits that have been thrown into each episode. The funniest moments aren't the typical set-up gags with a well-timed execution. Rather, it's the charm put into the animation and art style.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why does no one see the point of Vividred? 'The plot sucks' isn't really a flaw in a show that doesn't try to have a plot. 'Too much fanservice' isn't a flaw in an echhi show. 'It's too ridiculous' isn't a flaw in a show that aims to be completely ridiculous. For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

Vividred is probably the only show which I've watched that delivers everything it promises without fault. Sure I've watched better shows, but for what it is, it's absolutely perfect. It's literally the only anime I would describe as perfect.

First let me note that Vividred is my second-favorite show of the season. I love Takumura Kazuhiro's character designs, and while the character animation itself isn't extraordinary compared to some other shows, the individual frames are consistently on-model and pretty--you can pause Vividred at almost any time and get yourself a wallpaper.

But I pretty much agree with everything Bamboo wrote. I think it's a matter of taste regarding writing style. Vividred is written in a particular style of ridiculousness that's different from traditional comedy/parody. Instead of being overtly comical (although obviously it does some of that too) it presents ridiculous events and character behavior as if they were perfectly reasonable, and seeks to entertain by deliberately goading the audience into mocking it. Not everybody likes that sort of thing. (I don't much, myself. I can't escape the feeling that it's just lazy.)

I also feel like the characterization is lacking compared to, say, Strike Witches, although I'm having a hard time putting my finger on what exactly's wrong there, since it's not like the characters don't interact with each other. In that regard I found episode 5 the most interesting.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Haganai NEXT continues to impress me every episode with it's hilarious writing and hints at a more serious plot line. Whether it's dirty sex humour or geniunely witty humour, they hit the mark almost every time.

And here's my favorite show of the season. Smile
Doomroar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
come on i can't believe you don't see the point here, since the beginning the showed us an incomplete system full of flaws with little to no intentions of fixing itself, for some reason you have the impudence of insist and defend such a failed idea.

and now that they finally explain why, on a simpler manner enough you get flustered?

really? is a system made by a collective of egos that truthfully believe they are so superior they can have the freedom to judge perfectly their fellow humans actions, now they get to the point the refer themselves as godlike, and in the same point the main antagonist show us the new obvious flaws.

but no, you have to be blind at all this and continue in your delusion, look psycho-pass has some hardcore flaws, but they have give answer to each one of those, but you there seem to miss this...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Granted, the lesbian middle-school fanservice is the star attraction of the show, but there's plenty of other crap in the show for people to like. Giant mecha fighting, super-sentai fighting, friendship speeches, magical-girl shenanigans; those sorts of things. And just between you and me, I don't think you were doing people a favour by accusing them of being paedophiles. I get the feeling they didn't take kindly to that.

There's no doubt the show is terrible and has no consistency or logic. There's plenty here to criticise without bringing out "crazed lolicon" accusations.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Woah there, you're taking this way to seriously. Anyways, the character who's name I'm using is a pedophile, so wouldn't that make me a hypocrite?
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And just between you and me, I don't think you were doing people a favour by accusing them of being paedophiles. I get the feeling they didn't take kindly to that.

Don't worry, I'm not going to take paedophilia accusations seriously when they're factually incorrect. Primary sexual attraction to real-life versions of the Vivids would be classified hebephilia. But then, I'm one of the fans who are in it for the fun, humour, action and transformation sequences (and references to other sci-fi/magical girl series), not for either the butts or the story. Plus I'm in the middle ground between reacting to fanservice by spankin' it and by covering my sullied virgin eyes and fainting dead away in a fit of moral outrage.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not watching Vividred, and don't ever plan to, but to me, a clear reference for a show that is not supposed to be taken seriously and plays that card to perfection is Binbougami Ga! The writers were self-conscious of the type of anime they were doing and had fun with it, it's one of the best comedy anime I've watched in a while.

As for my current line-up

1. Psycho-Pass: Yeah, I thought the twist about Sybil System was weird, but after thinking about it for a while, I've found it brilliant in its own way.

2. Magi. I already caught up with the manga and I'm very excited for the upcoming Zagan arc. I'm a bit surprised by the jumbling up they did of Isnan appearing and the curse, I'm wondering if this means we won't have spoiler[Sinbad revealing his half-depraved state to Isnan]. Still awesome and incredibly fun.

3. Zetsuen no Tempest. Rheiders took the words out of my mouth for this one so I'm just going to quote [him/her]

Quote:
3. Zetsuen no Tempest: Still enjoying all the twists and turns, as well as the slightly twisted characters and their various ulterior motives. I don't like Hakaze as much as I used to--I liked that she was quick to realize the implications of her crush on Yoshino and responded aptly by spoiler[confessing her feelings and begging him to make her forget him], but I feel like her actions after Yoshino revealed the actual identity of his girlfriend have been really immature and childish. Seems like kind of an extended out-of-character moment for a woman who used to be so strong and independent. However, I thought the show handled spoiler[Yoshino revealing that he was Aika's boyfriend to Mahiro] pretty expertly and it made me appreciate those characters more. Overall, the show is still really strong, but I feel like I'm starting to see the strings. Here's hoping.

I already ranted at how pissed I was at Hakaze for acting like a complete idiot in the latest episode and how much I loved the Mahiro-Yoshino confrontation.

4. Shirokuma Cafe. The Joukin Panda episode was perfection. Nuff' said

5. Saint Seiya Omega. I lost some love for this show when Mars decided to start ranting about his tragic past in the middle of the fight, and the "revelation" turned out to be so unoriginal I almost fell asleep. But it's still stupidly fun so there it is.

6. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. I was starting to lose a little hope in this one, with all the skipping around and us not actually seeing what happened, just being told it happened, but the last couple of episodes have renewed my interest in it and I'm really looking forward to see how the heretical potato thing plays out

7. Bakuman 3. Bakuman is amazing, I love it to bits. But having read the manga, I know that the best of it is now over and we'll be going to an incredibly egregious and boring final arc that I don't give five cents about. The spoiler[End of Crow] and the Hiramaru episode though, were absolutely gold.

8. The Unlimited. The flashback episodes were a little slow and Fujiko irked me up a little, but I still enjoyed them. I like that they were so fun and innocent just to suddenly turn to the darkest dark. Looking forward to the showdown between Hyobu and Andy

9. Amnesia. Yeah, just watching to see how she will spoiler[get killed next -seriously, the drowning was absolutely histerical-], and because I've been made curious about Ukyo's route. But other than the guys being pretty good-looking there are no redeeming values in this. I'm already done getting mad at the cardboard protagonist
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An entire episode was devoted to a god beating his chest over how strong he and his Demon Lord were, only to have Izayoi just step up and punch the bad guy into oblivion. Sure, he's got an “unknown” power, but he shouldn't be Superman. If there's absolutely nothing that can stop him, then what makes him interesting as a character?

The answer is nothing. Overpowered Mary Sues are of no interest to any of us. Banned from consideration.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
A defence on the part of the viewer, not the show, I'd think. Although if a show's aim is stupid-fun (say, Panty & Stocking or a lot of other comedies-with-plot) it's only natural to enjoy it as such.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I really feel that Sasami-san@Ganbaranai should be given another chance. I do realize that it started off at a really confusing start, and probably should have explained a couple of key details a little bit earlier, but now that all of that has been taken care of, it is actually a really good show. The animation is very amazing, even if it is abstract, which is typical of Shaft. It can alse be a very funny show, on top of being very emotional and dramatic, and the character relationships are done very well. The music is also very good, and the opening is one of my favorites this season.
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to chime in again because I feel like everyone sort of misinterpreted my point about Problem Children:

Well, everyone's points about the show are totally valid and your opinions are just as valid as mine, but the whole thing about perfect heroes vs. flawed heroes completely misses the point. I don't want a perfect hero out of Izayoi. I don't want a hero at all. I want a perfect asshole who goes around and basically makes a mockery of the entire system because he thinks its funny. I wouldn't call that a hero of either type, because a hero has to be.. well, heroic, one way or another. Izayoi doesn't come off as a hero at all, he comes off as an arrogant jerk who is only helping the no-names because he finds it amusing to crush even more arrogant gods for fun. And I love that.

And for the person who said the show lacks any kind of emotional investment.. yeah, that's true. But I'm not looking for an emotional investment. I'm looking for a cheap thrill as I watch some guy basically beat up a bunch of people.

That's not what I look for ALL the time. BUt that's what I want out of this show, because thats what it seems to want to give me, and I'm finding it hilariously entertaining.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
That's funny, the replies from yesterday are all gone. Were they all deleted due to getting out of hand or something?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I wouldn't call that a hero of either type, because a hero has to be.. well, heroic, one way or another. Izayoi doesn't come off as a hero at all, he comes off as an arrogant jerk who is only helping the no-names because he finds it amusing to crush even more arrogant gods for fun. And I love that.

I have to disagree with your characterization of Izayoi here. If he didn't care deeply about the people he's decided to help, he wouldn't go out of his way to try and make Jin Russel the banner cry for their community. He doesn't even brag about his accomplishments-- in the Leticia episode, Izayoi rolls up with these two gifts he got in his spare time and is basically, "Oh, yeah, you should use these. I won them the other day."

If he was completely an arrogant ass, that'd be one thing. But they're painting him to be this ultra strong, smart, generous do-gooder.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I am beginning to wonder if I do have contrarian taste. I think the last popular thing I liked was Tiger and Bunny.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
how do you feel about honey and clover

code geass?

that should give you an answer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7