• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Filler Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Interestingly, episode 8 also has someone give up a fight they know they can't win, and they are praised by their comrades for it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I suppose my statement is born from my viewpoint. When I think of someone who is used to winning because they happen to be awesome at whatever, but don't have the maturity to not let their own arrogance get out of hand, I picture a child tossing a checkers board when they know they're going to lose but don't want to go through whatever shame they'd feel if they were to lose. Sure no one likes to lose, and if the aim is to win then giving up might be seen as "smart," but you lose out on the learning experience that losing brings which helps to create a more tempered, humble person. But I guess the bodily harm brings in another dynamic to the whole thing. But even with that in consideration, aren't heroes like Izayoi normally protected by plot armor?

CrowLia wrote:
I don't know anything about Mondai-ji-tachi but according to anime laws, giving up in the middle of the fight is not immature, just lame. It's not about knowing you can't win the fight, but to never entertain the thought of losing. Since it's anime, what you ought to do is scream your lungs out and produce a massive Kamehameha out of willpower alone.

Okay, I see where you two are coming from. Personally, I've always been okay with heroes who don't follow "anime laws" because I find them more intriguing, or more relatable.

A famous anime fandom punching bag is Shinji Ikari, who has been the butt of many, "Emooo!!!" and "Loser!!!" insults. But given the task that he's been handed, and given the fragile emotional state that your average teenager would be in given his dysfunctional family dynamics and life-or-death missions, I think he's more heroic for not being macho. (Then again, he seldom ran away from a deadly fight, either, which by the arguments from above, makes him more of a mature winner than a loser.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
There is a difference between a contest that has no or minor results other than the loss itself and one that has consequences for the hero or others that may be serious. The first is just a game the other is basically combat.

If what you are playing is just a game, refusing to play because you might lose is poor sportsmanship. In combat, living to fight another day when the odds are better is an acceptable tatic. In this case where the results of the loss will affect the community as well as the fighter, it is more important to win than to accept every fight.

The fact that the contest is termed a game does not govern this. The potential consequenses are the determining factor.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
1. Hunter x Hunter - Because it is still deep in tabletop-gaming-inspired geekery. I realize this matters to almost no one but me, but this post is MY rankings, so there.

2. Space Brothers - Because... everything Bamboo said.

3. From the New World - Even though every single episode from the start has been an attempt to answer the question "How can we make this situation even worse?", it's a terrific story and I'm enjoying it. And personally, I think the idea of eusocial creatures attempting to form a parliamentary democracy is fascinating. The villain, less so.

4. Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman - I've reached the point where I want to drop it, but it keeps provoking just enough of a flicker of interest to watch one more episode, and then one more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7