• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the best anime soundtracks?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijones81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
I am looking for some, because the soundtracks for things like dragon quest( yes i know its a game) and Goemon (movie) there soundtracks are beautiful and i was wondering if anyone else could give me some other good ones from anime or even Japanese movies
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Of the more recent shows I've watched, Fairy Tail comes to mind. Disregarding the OP's/ED's (Which are good), the soundtrack is amazing, its a nice classical + Celtic folk rock mixture. Just hit up Youtube and search Fairy Tail main Theme.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Outside of some music on iTunes, which is mostly J-Pop rather than BGM (although the Arietty OST is available on iTunes here in the UK), there are no longer any anime soundtracks published in the US since Geneon shut down so you'll need to hit CDJapan or Yes Asia.
I don't know why you're asking for recommendations though - all the OSTs I have are for anime where I know liked the BGM from watching them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Find an anime movie or series where you like the background music and just go with that. Listening to OSTs (that's Original Sound Tracks, if you're not familiar with the term) for stuff you have not seen before isn't quite as fun, as you don't get to visualize when in the series those songs come up.

And while English releases of OSTs are now fairly rare, you can still commonly find either them or their import equivalents available through Amazon. This is also one of my favorite things to browse for when I go to gaming or anime 'cons, as there's almost always a few dealers at such shows who have good numbers of them in stock.

That being said, my all-time favorites would be the OSTs for Vision of Escaflowne and .hack//SIGN. The former has a nice mix of orchestrated and electronica pieces and one of the best of all opening themes, while the latter, which features what is arguably Yuki Kajiura's best work, has all but one of its songs with vocals (and there are several of them) done in English, although good luck deciphering the lyrics on the opener. I listen to these all of the time in the car. Another favorite is Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, which is also Kajiura's work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ijones81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
ok i understand i do have a long list on anime i watch, i was just using thos as an example of the type of music that classical feel. And i am not looking to purchase the music on CD just to know because then maybe you could give me a good idea on good anime but i really just want to know some good music because i am a professor and my students were telling me that i should listen to some music from anime because its really good
xXDarkkRignHardtXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Can't believe I didn't think of this before! Look up Shin Megami Tensei:Persona, the remake for the PSP, the soundtrack is great, if you're looking for interesting music, and also look up stuff for BlazBlue, the Fight music is Excellent!
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
The term "best" is very subjective, and it is all a matter of personal taste. However, to throw my hat into the ring on this one I would highly recommend the soundtracks for Studio Ghibli films, especially the Porco Rosso soundtrack, as it has many pieces that just evoke a light whimsical feel as denoted by the fact that it does take place mostly in the air. The Princess Mononoke soundtrack is also very good especially the vocal piece, also come to think of it, the vocal pieces in Porco are also fantastic.

I may come under some heat for saying this, as Yoko Kanno has recently come under fire for possible plagiarism, but I still like her music, particularly her work in Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, the former which has wonderful jazz and blues pieces while the latter gives you some good techno mixes and some excellent Russian vocals. I'd also back up Key's claim of The Vision of Escaflowne as it is also a wonderful soundtrack.

It video games are your fancy then I would say anything by Nobuo Uematsu will not steer you wrong (he was the composer for the Final Fantasy games after all) and for those with a more hard rock inclination there's the Devil may Cry 3 soundtrack.

Finally for soundtracks that are not anime related, I can't recommend the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack from the recent movie enough as most anything from Harry Gregson Williams (the composer for the Metal Gear Solid series).
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
Actually a lot of great ones have already been mentioned, but I'll specifically go ahead and second a few that have been mentioned.

.hack//sign - Is probably Yuki Kajiura's best score, like Key said, with the possible exception ofNoir, which I also highly recommend. She's really really good at Gregorian Chant like flavor. Probably the best at it. A lot of her work in Noir is a tad different, much more a a Hispanic flair to it.

Someone mentioned the Persona Portable OST. I really enjoy that one. More of a hip hop flair going for it. It's really fun to listen to.

Probably my personal favorite score is Yoko Kanno's (she might come close to plagiarizing from time to time, but her stuff is some of the best) work on Arjuna. It is stunning mix of music, a lot of it has roots Indian music and some Celtic flavor. It also has music with a more modern spin and a few mostly orchestrated

The other Yoko Kanno compositions I like the most are Wolf's Rain (world oriented) and Darker than Black (more jazz oriented). I think some of Wolf's Rain's vocal tracks are the best anime has to offer.

Someone mentioned Cowboy Bebop. While I think most of it is just okay, I would highly recommend all of the tracks on CB's Blue Soundtrack.

Actually I stand correct it, my favorite scores mostly come from Joe Hisiashi, who I consider anime's number one composer. Like someone mentioned his Princess Mononoke Suite is amazing. There are a bunch of albums from it, but in particular, I think the Princess Mononoke Image Album has some of the most stunning compositions (Ashitaka Sekki, my favorite Joe composition, is played in this version with the enru, a Chinese Instrument that fits more than just perfectly).

Really, you can't go wrong with anything from Joe. Spirited Away and Nausicaa were excellent as well.

Oh oh oh, and Koh Otani's Haibane Renmei is really awesome. It's sort of a nod off to the Baroque era of classical music. It's really really relaxing if that's what you are looking for.

Oh a few more, just because I'm having fun.

Umm..

Twelve Kingdom's soundtrack is a great. It's got a lot of Chinese influences to be had and a great mix of suspenseful and calming tunes.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode's OST and Nujabes's tracks from Samurai Champloo (Hip-hop, mostly beats) are really good too.
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
Nujabes's tracks from Samurai Champloo (Hip-hop, mostly beats) are really good too.

I'm kicking myself right now for forgetting this one, it's just too bad that Najubes died a year or so back.

Another one I just thought of that's great is the Paprika soundtrack, such wonderful slightly trippy at times music, but the main theme is so light and wonderful.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
ijones81 wrote:
ok i understand i do have a long list on anime i watch, i was just using thos as an example of the type of music that classical feel.

Given your interest in a score with a "classical feel," I'll recommend one of my favorites, Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for Dennou Coil. Unfortunately, other than listening to the CD, there's no other way legally to hear this lovely score, nor watch one of the anime masterpieces of the past decade.

You might also enjoy Kawai Kenji's score for Moribito, which is available here. It's also streamed here at ANN.
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
Thinking over some of the soundtracks I have (which is a lot) I came across one that although it isn't an anime or movie, you did say soundtracks in general it seems. With that in mind I'll put forth Harry Gregson-Williams work as the composer for the Metal Gear Solid games, particularly two three and four. They each have wonderful orchestral scores with a very recognizable main theme. I love listening to the main theme and writing some portions of my book out, the music really gets the juices flowing.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
ijones81 wrote:
ok i understand i do have a long list on anime i watch, i was just using thos as an example of the type of music that classical feel. And i am not looking to purchase the music on CD just to know because then maybe you could give me a good idea on good anime but i really just want to know some good music because i am a professor and my students were telling me that i should listen to some music from anime because its really good

If you want something with great classical/Modern symphonic feel the Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode OSTs (01 and 02) are great. It's not all classical/Symphonic, but about half the songs are. My favorite anime OST of all time.

Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode OST - Track samples for disc 1 Check out samples for tracks 6(UCHUU HANZAISHA), 10(BILUGEBA), 11(KANOJO NO KOKYOU), 12(OLIOTEIRA), 15(RENPOU SOUSAKAN NO SENTOU), 17(COSMIC CRISIS), 18(WONDER WOMAN), 20(RYUNKA), and 21(ANOTHER STAGE)

Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode 02 OST - Track samples
Check out samples for tracks 4(USUREYUKU OMOIDE), 5(NATARU -HIMETA CHIKAI-), 6(THE WORLD IN RUINS), 7(SENSEN FUKOKU), 11(SOREZORE NO RIYUU), 12(BLUE FANG), 17(BERSERKER), 18(MAIN THEME -SIDE:02-), 19(MIRAI HE), and 21(MAIN THEME -SIDE:02 BALLADE-)

The cool thing about the Tetsuwan Birdy: Decode OST's is they encompass a wide variety of music: OP/ED themes, orchestral, piano, electronic, ethnic, bass driven, rock, and eclectic. That's why it's my #1 favorite.

Princess Nine also has great stuff as well - soundtrack for that anime was done by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
zzeroparticle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
Where do I even start with this...

Well, if you go through all the soundtracks that I've loved from the 2000s, you'll find quite a handful. For instance, Red Garden is an absolute beauty with Akira Senju really turning on the emotional expression. What really raises it above though are KOKIA's additions at the end, which draw the gamut of emotions ranging from suffering to euphoria. Definitely an album to check out.

If you're looking for something more relaxing, I'd recommend ARIA just because the soft guitar music really sets things flowing smoothly and calmly. You just can't beat the watery feel if you're looking for some quiet, easy-listening.

For exciting stuff that stays in the realm of classical, I'd definitely push for Gunslinger Girl. A lot of people prefer Simoun for their dose of Sahashi, but I've continued to be enamored with the way Gunslinger Girl carries both the calmer moments as well as the intense stuff but still keep to the classical European style I love so much.

If you had to ask me what my favorite soundtrack of the now is... I'm leaning towards Fairy Tail since the use of Celtic rock just leaves me dazzled by the entire experience, bringing the badassery to a head.
Bumble_Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
You should really check out the Pandora Hearts soundtrack (and the anime or manga itself for that matter).

I think it's all composed by Yuki Kajiura. Her work is absolutely beautiful.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
To this day I like the entire soundtrack from Haibane Renmei. It's so moving and tender. Makes me wish I can play a piano.

I also Liked GTO soundtrack. It's upbeat and varied. It complimented perfectly to such a show that explored so many themes.

Seriously if I think about more there are plenty like Princess Tutu just because I enjoy classical.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei soundtrack is another one I enjoy. It seems to have cultural influences. For some reason I do remember hearing the music that sounds French. It's very stylish and classical at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4