• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: ADK, Toei, Aniplex, Sunrise, TMS, NAS, Dentsu to Stream Anime Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hybridbloodszak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
First I want to say it's still WAY TOO EARLY to see how this will plan out as we have limited information.

Unless Japanese studios are stupid, I don't think they would do anything to cannibalize sales in overseas markets in regards to people worried about Crunchyroll streaming acquisitions. Also Crunchyroll is part of the Japanese Animation Union over there in Japan(One of the few non Japanese companies I might add). They would speak up if this would affect their business

The IDEAL situation would be for this new website to go into the areas where countries are locked out to easily accessible streaming services like CR, VIZ, and Funi.

My personal wish for the industry to head is for Crunchyroll and this new website to be the "Steam" of the anime market(CR kind of already is but even more so). Where CR pick up shows for streaming then once the shows finish, respective companies in their countries buy home video rights as they see fit to dub and release
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Count me in! Hopefully the subtitles will be correct (no typos, grammatically correct, etc).
SonDavid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think everything we come up in here is pure speculation based on the information that was posted by ANN. There may be new information or details that could arise until June. There is still time. Moreover, I believe the anime Japanese market is not oblivious of the fact that Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, and others have had a huge impact on how Anime is received in the United States. They know streaming in high quality lowers use of fansubs and boosts sales of series that normally would be having a hard time having an impact here in the states. I cannot watch anime series on low quality. That's a NO NO for me. That's why I pay, at least (and to support the industry). I know the U.S DVD sales and profits don't compare to those they expect to have in Japan (price difference is so great), but popularity is something that is equal everywhere, even though the sale "figures" don't show it. Streaming has given Anime more accessibility. I don't see why they would do something that would jeopardize all that when we've come this far. But, that's just my opinion, anything can happen. I would hold on on speculations, though.

What would be cool, for me, would be 'real time' streams (out of Japan, of course) where we would be able to see shows as they air in Japan, subtitled. I literally mean AS THEY AIR. I don't know, for some reason, I would really like that. Having the feeling of watching, for example, Attack on Titan episodes this spring at the exact same moment Japan does, since I have never been to Japan, would be special. It may be really dumb since it is so much better to watch the show commercial-free when YOU want, but for some reason, I would like to see how that feels. xD
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
SonDavid wrote:
There may be new information or details that could arise until June.

Just a quick correction. The service itself starts in April, but the "Online Commerce Service", as they put it, will begin in June (which is essentially Merchandise and what not).
SonDavid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
SonDavid wrote:
There may be new information or details that could arise until June.

Just a quick correction. The service itself starts in April, but the "Online Commerce Service", as they put it, will begin in June (which is essentially Merchandise and what not).

That's right, miss read that. Thought June included everything. My bad.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm this could go either way truthfully.

On one hand, it could help bring over titles that never would be brought over. Also, it could mean alot more anime in general.

But like others said, it could really screw up some of the streaming websites simulcasts and streaming rights in general. More so crunchyroll than anyone else. Funimation could technically still do dubbed streaming, but it would still mean they would have to actually dub the thing first.

Worst case scenario is, is that it really pisses alot of people off: fans and corporations, and could really hurt, at least the US anime industry.

3 million subscribers from all over the world isnt a bad goal. A ton of people watch anime.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
It remains to be seen just what any of this will entail in terms of what is offered and its success, such as whether region-locking will be in play and what the quality of their videos, service, and community functionalities will be like. 500+ titles is enticing however you slice it, and it would be truly great watch to titles that have never been shown in North America and elsewhere. It sounds like the kind of venture that could make Crunchyroll develop beads of sweat, too, but execution and follow-through is everything and the recent English niconico anime try has, at least for now, fizzled, despite its good sides.

Even with their resources, ADK & Co. are more of the ones facing an uphill battle in trying to conceive a viable and attractive-enough service. As for pre-existing venues like CR (in particular, as a chiefly-streaming company), FUNimation, and The Anime Network, I'd say there could be problems, but why deny yourself some extra, in-place revenue (unless consolidation is the point)? There is already cross-coverage among them, Hulu, Crackle, YouTube, and elsewhere, so there is still some hope…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for Crunchyroll and Funimation... This might turn out like Kodansha and Del Rey, except digital.
Togame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
In before Not available in your country
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
I want to be positive about this. I'm really trying to be positive about this. A unified streaming service for anime could be a really good thing for fans. But man...this is kinda terrifying. I mean...that list is pretty much everybody. Almost all the major players in the industry. And the fact that all these companies are actually buying ownership tells me it isn't just an experimental "throw a couple shows on there and see how we do". This is something they're pretty serious about. How this works out will have an absolutely massive impact on the anime industry. Hell, as far as streaming goes this could basically be the anime industry. Which is terrifying because I have virtually no faith in the Japanese companies ability to understand the western market and otherwise not fudge this right up the wall. I mean...remember what a mess Funico is/was? Shocked
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
I am sorry but I can not see this ending well for anyone involed except maybe the people who make money off this business that would not have otherwise.

When has something like this every go well just ask funimation that quite literally exploded in their faces by forcing sentai and crunchyroll to band together a lot more.
Caloris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
Why is streaming such a "big" thing?

I have no desire to stream anime (or anything else). I would much prefer to have the file stored locally to watch, and not require an active internet connection draining limited bandwidth quota.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
In before Not available in your country

If the companies involved are smart enough and willing to act, they should be able to avoid a lot (though not all) of that.

Why? Because this time around the studios themselves will own the contents as well as operate the streaming service instead of having to deal with a foreign company like Crunchyroll, which is forced to acquire separate rights to stream a particular anime title in each region or territory.

I realize that this doesn't really mean the new service will automatically start out as being truly worldwide for every single thing, unfortunately, but on paper it sounds like providing wider access to many shows should be easier, comparatively speaking, if they are willing to go that route.

Last edited by nightjuan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
This sounds badass, looking forward to seeing what they've got to offer and further details like how much they want for a fee.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I feel sorry for Crunchyroll and Funimation... This might turn out like Kodansha and Del Rey, except digital.

Sunrise's already took down all the Gundam in Crunchyroll in Jan this year. If one day we see all the Aniplex titles(Blast of Tempest, Fate Zero, Bakemonogatari, ect) gone in CR, then this thing it can be bad for CR.

500+ titles with subtitles, i'm in. I will still keep CR for simulcast.
Once they have most of the simulcast too, then i;m bye bye CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5