• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: ADK, Toei, Aniplex, Sunrise, TMS, NAS, Dentsu to Stream Anime Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I got mixed feelings with this as I do like CR's system. Otherwise, I hope it will work out well and satisfy customers with its various titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Doesn't bandai channel in japan already do something like this?

they even stream simulcasts straight to your iphone

http://www.b-ch.com/
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Doesn't bandai channel in japan already do something like this?

they even stream simulcasts straight to your iphone

http://www.b-ch.com/

The difference is that they are pooling in order to (they would hope) get enough scale for the venture to work. The market is thicker in Japan, but international licensors doing it one at a time would not have enough scale.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
This might turn out like Kodansha and Del Rey, except digital.

You mean, in how Del Rey pulled out of the manga biz and Kodansha to support the already struggling industry took over most of those books and kept most of Del Rey's staff... Sounds interesting. Wink
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
This might turn out like Kodansha and Del Rey, except digital.

You mean, in how Del Rey pulled out of the manga biz and Kodansha to support the already struggling industry took over most of those books and kept most of Del Rey's staff... Sounds interesting. Wink

Except then they decided not to continue most of the series Del Rey had, even when they had 2 volumes or so left.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I got mixed feelings with this as I do like CR's system. Otherwise, I hope it will work out well and satisfy customers with its various titles.

One way for the new venture to get out of the gate faster might be to do a package deal to put all of their simulcasts on Crunchyroll at a week delay for premium members worldwide. Crunchyroll could pay a lower MG and still leave a higher net revenue than these firms have been getting from Crunchyroll for streaming, because of the reduced contracting costs. And Crunchyroll would get a better foundation for streaming to their under-50% areas ~ Europe outside of Northern Europe, the Middle East, Africa outside of South Africa, and Asia outside of Japan ~ complemented by whatever broader streaming rights they can pick up from the international licensors who are not part of the new system.

When added to worldwide ex-Japan distribution of their back catalog titles, it would see some current Crunchyroll subscribers outside of North America double dipping for two subscriptions, as some in North America do for Crunchy and Funimation Elite, or some US members do for Crunchy and HuluPlus ... which would surely be good for building the subscriber side of their membership.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5