• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-Otome 0 ~S.ifr~ Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. Except for a few points I have to agree with this assessment of the show.

I think one would be hard pressed to find better animated and more intense fight scenes then this had. They really put me on the edg of my seat and were a joy to watch.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit annoyed at the lack of a dub, but other than that it was fairly enjoyable. I was just happy that I was finally able to complete my Hime/Otome collection.

Also, I was so glad the day this was announced as being licensed, and was finally able to kill the show on my torrent client. I was one of the 3 or so people that were constantly seeding it until that point... It means a lot to me, seeing the few titles I like enough to keep seeding indefinitely finally get licensed! And S.ifr was the last one.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
For the most part I agree with Theron. I really liked My-Otome S.Ifr (some of the fight scenes are particularly cool), but it definitely could have used more time to flesh itself out better.

Of course, my big complaint about this release is that it's DVD-only, but it's not like Bandai has been releasing many Blu-rays, and since they released it with no dub, they obviously didn't expect it to do all that well (though considering how long it's been since the other titles in the franchise were released here, it probably isn't selling well enough to pay for a dub).

I'd also love to see more My-Otome stuff made in Japan (this OVA definitely implied that more was likely coming), but since it's been 3 years now since My-Otome S.Ifr was released, we've probably gotten all that we're likely to get. At this point, we're lucky that Bandai licensed and released this.

In any case, it's a fun OVA and well worth picking up if you're a My-Otome fan. And overall, Theron's review is spot on.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I was a bit annoyed at the lack of a dub, but other than that it was fairly enjoyable. I was just happy that I was finally able to complete my Hime/Otome collection.

Also, I was so glad the day this was announced as being licensed, and was finally able to kill the show on my torrent client. I was one of the 3 or so people that were constantly seeding it until that point... It means a lot to me, seeing the few titles I like enough to keep seeding indefinitely finally get licensed! And S.ifr was the last one.

Unfortunately it's bad news for dubbers like me. I had no problem with the dubs for neither My Hime or My Otomoe. So why would they do this for the OVA???

However I cant be susprised by Bandai Anymore. Their starting to act like Media Blasters cause this is the same thing they did with the Banner of The Stars OVA. AND ESPECIALLY the same thing they did with the Lucky Star OVA what really pissed off a lot of fans.

Cause of the fact that there's no dub I'm skipping it. Though I am not giving up hope that they might do a second release with an eng dub if this one sells well enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
So, does this OAV delve anymore into world setting/history of the series (like the war that preceded it, or where the Otome system came from?), or possibly fills in any connections between My Otome and My-HiMe?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:

Unfortunately it's bad news for dubbers like me. I had no problem with the dubs for neither My Hime or My Otomoe. So why would they do this for the OVA???

However I can't be susprised by Bandai Anymore. Their starting to act like Media Blasters cause this is the same thing they did with the Banner of The Stars OVA. AND ESPECIALLY the same thing they did with the Lucky Star OVA what really pissed off a lot of fans.

Cause of the fact that there's no dub I'm skipping it. Though I am not giving up hope that they might do a second release with an eng dub if this one sells well enough.

Bandai has taken to not dubbing series for which they don't expect to make back the cost of the dub. The sales for Lucky Star were poor enough later on that they dropped the special edition version of the last disc and then didn't dub the OVA. It's pretty much purely a matter of (expected) sales. They were supposedly going to dub Hayate the Combat Butler, but then whatever deals they were working on to get it on TV fell through, so they dropped the dub. Several other series have been released sub only from them. They're just not doing well enough to risk money on a dub unless it's fairly certain that they're going to make their money back. It sucks for us, but if they're not smart about what they do, they won't be around anymore to release anything.

My-Otome S.Ifr is a relatively good OVA (and pretty much must have for My-Otome fans), but for the most part, I'd only really expect My-Otome fans to pick it up. On top of that, it's been several years since My-Otome was released in North America, so the number of My-Otome fans who are even paying attention right now isn't necessarily very high. Much as I'd really have liked a dub, it doesn't surprise me at all that Bandai didn't do one. The risk was likely just too high.

So, yeah it sucks that we didn't get a dub for My-Otome S.Ifr. But increasingly, anime is niche enough and the economy poor enough, that you're going to have to be willing to buy sub-only anime, or you're going to be losing out on a lot. Dubs just cost too much money in comparison to how much an anime company makes from selling a series for them to always be worth the cost.

Shenl742 wrote:
So, does this OAV delve anymore into world setting/history of the series (like the war that preceded it, or where the Otome system came from?), or possibly fills in any connections between My Otome and My-HiMe?

Some. But if anything, it probably raises more questions than it answers. The connection between My-Otome and My-Hime is strengthened a bit but still left very ambiguous, and some additional historical and political information is given, but the OVA is short, and there isn't a lot of information given. So, yes they do add some depth to what was given in My-Otome, but it's nothing like what you really want I expect. It was obviously done with the intent of leaving it open to do more following the prequel. So, it's not like this OVA is really intended to wrap everything up or even fully explain the situation and past of Arika and Nina's mothers. It's a fun story with some awesome fight scenes which fleshes out more of the world of My-Otome - particularly with regards to Arika's mother - but there's plenty more that they could go into, and they definitely leave the impression that they were planning to make more OVAs or do something else to continue the story following this prequel and prior to the main series (though given how long it's been now, that's probably not happening).

So, I'd say that My-Otome S.Ifr is well worth buying for a My-Otome fan, but it's definitely going to leave you wanting more.
Toomuchanimetoolittletime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
I have also passed on this as lacking a dub, as I have the others, i.e., Lucky Star OVA, Kannagi, etc. There is enough dubbed material coming from Funimation and increasingly Section 23 that I have more that enought to view.

I find this interesting. Bandai and Right Stuf have seemingly set their decision for their product lines, while Section 23, while still releasing a lot subbed, is increasing their dubbed output.

As with Right Stuf, Bandai has taken the stand that because they miscalulated in the past, (example: Releasing Lucky Star 1-5 in limited editions, instead of just releasing everything Lucky Star in basic packaging but dubbed), let's not finish a project dubbed, even though 80 to 90 percent of the released related anime has been. I feel that this is a miscalculation again. People like myself, who prefer the dubbed versions, (I don't speak Japanese and having been brought up on quality American animation (older Warner Bros., MGM, Max and Dave Fleischer, etc. ), I prefer my animation clean, not covered up by text), are leaving the subbed product behind. Instead of concentrating on fewer releases that can reach wider audiences by being dubbed, they release more subbed titles that reach fewer people. It's a choice that more titles subbed has more profit potential than fewer titles dubbed. To me this doesn't make sense. You are trying to sell your product in a country that speaks English, and while the subbed titles are in English, they have their drawbacks.

I also find it interesting that Right Stuf has budgets to dub their hentai titles, but not their mainstream ones. Check out their monthly releases.

Yes, I miss out, but I am not a completest. I watch this material to be entertained, not some compulsion to have all related material that exists for a particular franchise.
iDuckie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. One thing though that the review left out (and is a HUGE spoiler for Otome) is that spoiler[Mashiro and Nagi are brother and sister. ]
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
iDuckie wrote:
Nice review. One thing though that the review left out (and is a HUGE spoiler for Otome) is that spoiler[Mashiro and Nagi are brother and sister. ]

I have no idea where you got that idea. I don't recall anything in there that could have told you that. The story definitely didn't get far enough in the time for spoiler[Mashiro to have been born], and I pretty sure that it didn't get far enough along for spoiler[Nagi to have been born] either. So, I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
iDuckie wrote:

Yes, I am also curious how you possibly came to that conclusion from any of the animated content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1