• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: True Grit Producer in Live-Action Star Blazers Talks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing is sometimes studios buy rights to movies so other studios can't get their hands on them, or sell them to other studios for even more money.

Also, I liked Speed Racer. Flopping means lack of sales, not quality.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:

Flopping can result in producing a subpar product and putting that out as the final cut. Just because you have some big names attached to a production and have a budget to boot doesn't mean the finished product is gonna be sunshine and lollipops.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
well I cannot go back to the star blazers side, nor will I ever go back to voltron, or robotech, or any other chopped up, edited out show, why??????????? because I have been spoiled buy the uncut uncensored original versions of these and other shows from japan,

granted, if it were not for these shows being brought over to america, I might not have ever gotten in to anime, nor would I have wanted to watch more, so they will have a small place in my heart, but that is it.... they will not have a space on my shelf, my anime shelf's are reserved for uncut uncensored anime,

and I for one think that if you are going to make a live action movie based on an anime, then you should stick to the content, not change it, keep akira in tokyo, stop changing things, if they want us to watch star blazers, then just give us a subbed titled version of the movie that just came out in japan, did they re-shoot spider-man for the japanese audience, or how about iron man, come on, some things are just best left the way they are,

making an american version of yamato, is as bad as getting a tattoo that says welcome aboard, and then getting on a submarine with a bunch of men, and only one woman,

opps, did I just do a down para-scope reference....... yes, yes I did Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
stararnold:
Quote:
do you ever think for a moment that maybe Hollywood is doing these live-action movies as alternatives for North Americans who don't watch anime, hoping to largely increase the anime's fanbases in North America because most North Americans aren't into anything anime, whether they assume that all animation on Earth is strictly for children and the immature at heart or that they don't relate well to what they see in them?

No, they're doing these movies because they think we're stupid enough to watch and pay for anything. If they cared about introducing non-fans, they'd try to retain as much of what made the source material so good in the first place as possible.

Quote:
I'm sure Hollywood is carefully adapting only anime where Japaneseness has no importance to what the stories in them are meant to be about.

Then what the hell's Akira? Rolling Eyes

ninja:
Quote:

Christ, even the Tron sequel was more engaging than Speed Racer, and that thing was almost as pointless as the original film.
reynardine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

reynardine wrote:
Well, if they actually make this movie, they must keep the English-version Star Blazers theme. Because it was all kinds of awesome.

Have you heard the original Yamato theme 'cause that's pretty cool.

Yes, of course I've heard the original.

But I was a kid when Star Blazers was first shown (I used to run home from school in order to catch it on TV) and the English version was really catchy. To the point that even decades later, I could remember some of the verses.

I was just saying that if they made an American version of Star Blazers, they should keep the English lyrics.
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
and I for one think that if you are going to make a live action movie based on an anime, then you should stick to the content, not change it, keep akira in tokyo, stop changing things, if they want us to watch star blazers, then just give us a subbed titled version of the movie that just came out in japan, did they re-shoot spider-man for the japanese audience, or how about iron man, come on, some things are just best left the way they are

Japan did a live-action "Spider-Man" T.V. show back in the 1970s, only to have its cast pure Japanese with its protagonist being a Japanese motorcyclist maintaining the Spider-Man mantle, not Peter Parker. Plus, there's already an "Iron Man" anime made (which I haven't seen yet), and the Japanese "Witchblade" maintains the Witchblade armor concept but with a different set of characters in place of those from the U.S. "Witchblade" comics (ex: Japanese cop Masane Amaha is the Witchblade heroine, not Sara Pezzini from the comics). Thus Japan does remake American things with story changes to suit Japanese tastes just like Americans remake anime with story changes meant to suit American tastes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

and I for one think that if you are going to make a live action movie based on an anime, then you should stick to the content, not change it, keep akira in tokyo, stop changing things, if they want us to watch star blazers,

Star Blazers is the American version of the Japanese Space Battleship Yamato, so it's American to start with. Just like the live-action Speed Racer movie is based on the American Speed Racer, not the Japanese Mach Go Go Go. It had already changed things to start with.

mudduck454 wrote:

then just give us a subbed titled version of the movie that just came out in japan,

No, that sucked! Keep that crap on their shores! Laughing

mudduck454 wrote:

did they re-shoot spider-man for the japanese audience,

Yes, yes they did, with his giant robot: Laughing

mudduck454 wrote:

or how about iron man, come on, some things are just best left the way they are,

There's even the Japanese version of Transformers and Stitch. Laughing

mudduck454 wrote:

making an american version of yamato,

Like I said, there is already an American version of Yamato, and it's called Star Blazers - and that's what the movie would be based off, not Yamato.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
and the Japanese "Witchblade" maintains the Witchblade armor concept but with a different set of characters in place of those from the U.S. "Witchblade" comics (ex: Japanese cop Masane Amaha is the Witchblade heroine, not Sara Pezzini from the comics).

Minor nitpick, but Given the sheer amount of wielders, it would be logical to assume the manga does share some canon with the US comic in some respects.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Star Blazers is the American version of the Japanese Space Battleship Yamato, so it's American to start with. Just like the live-action Speed Racer movie is based on the American Speed Racer, not the Japanese Mach Go Go Go. It had already changed things to start with.

Star Blazers is as much American as Ankronikka (Duck Tales) is Finnish. Just because you change the title of the show and character names and censor some content doesn't change its country of origin. By your logic Supercop is also an American movie because it cuts some footage that's in Police Story 3 and has a different soundtrack.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Star Blazers is as much American as Ankronikka (Duck Tales) is Finnish. Just because you change the title of the show and character names and censor some content doesn't change its country of origin.

Those changes would also be reflected in the American movie. And we're not debating about country of origin (like the Japanese word "anime" is not Japanese in origin neither, but it's a Japanese word now).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
star:
Quote:
Japan did a live-action "Spider-Man" T.V. show back in the 1970s, only to have its cast pure Japanese with its protagonist being a Japanese motorcyclist maintaining the Spider-Man mantle, not Peter Parker.

Well, first off, how many white people do you think they could find who could look presentable and speak Japanese back then? Secondly, they don't have an open policy of casting Japanese over minority actors, simply because they think the market is not there for anyone who's not Japanese? For example, that My Darling is a Foreigner movie thing. They could've easily gotten some Japanese pretty-boy with more pull for the white husband. But no, they wanted authenticity, so they went for that hippie guy. Over here, you got effing movies like Harold and Kumar, Fast and Furious, and Tyler Perry Dresses in Drag 100 making money, in spite of predominantly black, Latino and Asian casts, and yet our studios still can't hire them for more lead roles. Third, Marvel and/or Stan Lee wanted a Japanese version of Spider-Man so they could attract more Japanese fans of the comic in general. I don't think Shueisha wanted the monstrosity that was DB:E, though. And even if they were ok with the all-white cast, they sure as hell didn't appreciate its low-rent look.

enurtsol: Well, the thing about Starblazers was that it was "neutral" in how it Westernized stuff, while the idea that you'd turn Yamato into, say, the U.S.S. Arizona, totally destroys the context of the original series. And Mach! Go Go was barely "Japanese", so the only failure of the Speed Racer movie was the godawful pacing and writing.
fire_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Those changes would also be reflected in the American movie. And we're not debating about country of origin (like the Japanese word "anime" is not Japanese in origin neither, but it's a Japanese word now).

check any Japanese dictionaries, it will tell you that anime is a shortened form of アニメーション (animēshon), which is the English word animation transcribed in katakana. so it is a Japanese word. the shortened form was made up in the Japanese language and doesnt come from a foreign one.

It doesn't come from the french noun "animé", if that's what you're referring to.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
For example, that My Darling is a Foreigner movie thing. They could've easily gotten some Japanese pretty-boy with more pull for the white husband.

No they can't, because My Darling is a Foreigner is semi-autobiographical. In fact, you'd be surprised how the "actor" for the husband was cast:

"Saturday 27th February, 06:53 AM JST
TOKYO — Actress Mao Inoue, 23, and actor Jonathan Sherr, 35, who play the role of girlfriend and boyfriend in “My Darling Is a Foreigner,” attended a preview of their film this week, along with author of the original comic series Saori Oguri, 43, and her American husband Tony Laszlo, 49.

Sherr, who first met Oguri while teaching at an English conversation school five years ago, plays the role of Tony...."

He's literally her English teacher, not really an actor. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: Well, the thing about Starblazers was that it was "neutral" in how it Westernized stuff, while the idea that you'd turn Yamato into, say, the U.S.S. Arizona, totally destroys the context of the original series. And Mach! Go Go was barely "Japanese", so the only failure of the Speed Racer movie was the godawful pacing and writing.

Every culture has their own "Yamato" equivalent in their history; nothing is unique despite what the Japanese keep believing among themselves. And I won't go into how much Japanese or not something is because that's a matter of perspective.

fire_ wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

check any Japanese dictionaries, it will tell you that anime is a shortened form of アニメーション (animēshon), which is the English word animation transcribed in katakana. so it is a Japanese word. the shortened form was made up in the Japanese language and doesnt come from a foreign one.

It's a Japanese word like a lot of English words based on Latin, German, French, etc.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
No they can't, because My Darling is a Foreigner is semi-autobiographical.

Yeah, and Akira alludes to Hiroshima, but they're still making the cast allw-white. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
He's literally her English teacher, not really an actor.

Yeah, well, being able to teach still requires a good "performance" in keeping people's attention; so it's not that different from acting.

Quote:
Every culture has their own "Yamato" equivalent in their history; nothing is unique despite what the Japanese keep believing among themselves.

Well, if you wanna go there, you could compare it to The Odyssey. But Yamato's still unique in that, again, it's a post-war occupation metaphor. Our version of it would basically amount to "Red Dawn in Space", which is obviously not the same thing.
Deakc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Nice update once again.. Eboy is a champ good to hear he kncoked off Dre hahaha
Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2