• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Timely Paradox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tochiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
this week is all about Macross 30 for me! Am 3 hours in and loving it! good new characters, fully voiced story missions, the ability to fly freely around a semi-open world at leisure in a Valkyrie... dont think I'll be needing another game for a few months or so Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Very funny.

But seeing you intending to buy a sports game (anime fans are nerds, and nerds tend to not be into sports--I'm not, e.g besides motorsports) was kind of surreal.

You just don't seem like the kind of person who would by an MLB game.

I'm actually a big sports fan, as weird as it might seem. Like just today I went from finishing the newest episode of GJ-Bu to turning on my local NBA game.

I'm probably a real rarity though.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to the new Disgaea game. But if they were going to introduce a younger sister character named Sicily, wouldn't it make more sense for her to be related to Etna instead of Laharl?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So, you don't actually read GameFAQs, huh? Most of the posts on the Ayesha forum have been the opposite: "You stupid weaboo, if the Japanese track is so important, why don't you just import it?"

Actually I do. I go there daily. I haven't scoped out the Ayesha boards yet because I'm waiting for the day the game comes out. Plus, I'm just making fun of a certain collection of users on there known for their outbursts. And yes, I've seen posts like the one you just quoted for Tales of Xillia and many others. So don't presume I don't read anything on GameFAQs, mkay?

animefan425 wrote:
Why not?

You're missing the point. It's just my opinion. I said for me personally, it's never a part of what determines whether I buy a game or not. A voice option is just that to me, an option. But I understand that as a now broken trend for localized Gust games, this is going to hurt sales severely. TK may end up getting very hated in due time because of this choice. I'm not bashing anyone who wants the original voices. I was making fun of specific GameFAQs users in the first part of my post.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
I never understood why English speakers play games or watch anime in Japanese. I always felt that I don't get the full experience with a language I can understand. It being in a language I can't understand, and having to read the translation anyway, feels bizarre. Like how I only watch anime a it was intended to be seen: without yellow words at the bottom of the screen.

Still no word on Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations 2. Perhaps this is the exact point to give up all hope.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm actually a big sports fan, as weird as it might seem. Like just today I went from finishing the newest episode of GJ-Bu to turning on my local NBA game.

Well, there's at least two in this boat; as I'm pretty much the same way as well. Easily switched between SAO to NFL on Sundays.

Although I rarely buy sports games.

RE: Ayesha - I'll probably wait till I find it cheap it somewhere...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, Kenji Eno DIED?! I just met him in December and he seemed to be doing fine! I met him at the Ilca Show symposium, along with Yutaka Yamamoto... http://www.hikarie8.com/court/2012/12/ilca-presents180.shtml

I'm really shocked... I really can't believe he's gone.

About Atelier Ayesha... SOME fan ire? More like 90 percent of us jumped ship and 50 percent of us went for the imports. What Koei Tecmo did is ridiculous.
dark-kyon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
the lack of japanese track is injustifiable when the dub have less of the 50% voices what el Japanese track have.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Very funny.

But seeing you intending to buy a sports game (anime fans are nerds, and nerds tend to not be into sports--I'm not, e.g besides motorsports) was kind of surreal.

Not around our parts. Heck, we belong in several fantasy leagues. If ya guys think how much geeks could rage regarding RPG stats, wait till they get into sports stats! They remember e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g! Laughing
(And some of us play too, and pretty well at that.)
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Very funny.

That makes two of us. I'm a big hockey fan, in particular.

I'm a little bummed that Eternal Punishment will not be seeing a physical release. At this time, I do not buy digital-only console games, unless it's for the PC. This will probably change in the future, but not quite yet.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'm a little bummed that Eternal Punishment will not be seeing a physical release. At this time, I do not buy digital-only console games, unless it's for the PC. This will probably change in the future, but not quite yet.

It already has a physical release... the PS1 version, which plays identical on PS3 to this version. This release of Eternal Punishment is just a digital version of the old game that can also play on PSP/Vita when they fix the issues, just like any other PS1 Classic on the service.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Very funny.

Eh, it's not that strange. I'd buy MLB The Show this year if I made it a rule not to buy the same sports game in back-to-back years because it's expensive and they don't really change much. I miss MLB Power Pros, though. VERY Japanese game with RPG elements and a new story mode every year. THAT I would buy every year. Sadly, no one else did, so they stopped making it. It doesn't help that my baseball team, the Marlins, dumped most of their talent, so they wouldn't be a fun team to play as.

I was also in three fantasy football leagues a year until I forced myself to take a year off because it was consuming too much of my life even if I was winning most of them (When I cared more about the health of the Indianapolis Colts' tight end than I did about my own, it was time to make a change. But he did get me some mad points....). Now I'm just on college bowl picks and March Madness. Much more manageable, though do they HAVE to start March Madness the day I go to a Distant Worlds concert and meet Nobuo Uematsu? I'm going to fight the need to look at my cell phone the whole time....
Donpablo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
dark-kyon wrote:
the lack of japanese track is injustifiable when the dub have less of the 50% voices what el Japanese track have.

This is what gets me in the end. I don't mind the single language track but not dubbing the entirety of the game is what irks me.

Lazy.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair92 wrote:
I never understood why English speakers play games or watch anime in Japanese. I always felt that I don't get the full experience with a language I can understand. It being in a language I can't understand, and having to read the translation anyway, feels bizarre. Like how I only watch anime a it was intended to be seen: without yellow words at the bottom of the screen.

How is it hard to grasp that people enjoy watching foreign movies in the language they were in? Even for things that are live-action, I enjoyed watching things like Pan's Labyrinth and Let the Right One In, in their original languages. I actually ENJOY hearing a variety of other languages, and honestly, I feel like it's more weird when people think it's weird to hear a different languages. I LIKE trying to pick up words in others languages, as well.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see a defense for not having the original audio. Its pretty much not acceptable for a foreign language DVD to not have the original audio (see all the outrage about the Persona 4 BD), so why is it okay for a video game to do the same? Especially since PS3 doesn't have size issues since the discs can fit over 25 gigs.

Its just being cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4