• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vice Versus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll never understand what Cave's thinking is. They seem to release their arcade ports mostly to the Japanese XBLA as far as I've seen... that's a pretty stagnant market to focus on.

Been playing MvC3 this week and it is pretty disappointing. Very flashy, but there's so little in the way of content and options it feels like Capcom deliberately shortchanged us to force more purchases of the inevitable "ultimate edition" next year.

Ah well, Killzone 3 to look forward to this week, so one game that should prove satisfying.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Yeah, I'm enjoying this one quite a bit as well. It sounds great and on the 2D side of things it's very clean and colorful, but I've got issues on the 3D side. For a PS3 game I expected more out of the 3D rendering, it's very sluggish and choppy. When we first see the goddesses duke it out the first thing that came to mind was Final Fantasy VII, only cleaner. That's not really a good thing. It's still fun to play, but my expectations were pretty high considering how many companies were involved. Hoping Ar tonelico Qoga does a better job on the 3D since the battles are in real time, but Atelier Rorona was a little sluggish in the 3D, too, so I'm not so sure.

Well the battles in AT3 are a tad mild when it comes to what you can do, but it doesn't set any new goals outside of switching turn-based to real-time. Have you see any gameplay vids? I think you might be disappointed.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GospelX wrote:
Skies of Arcadia took me a couple of attempts to get into, but after that I had trouble putting down the controller. It's one of those games that has a horrible first 1/3. I get why people may not like it, but it's far from a game worth hating.

The random battles get old fast (not saying I hate all old-school style games like that, but I think Arcadia's ratio of appearance could have been a bit lower. Of course ironically, whenever I'm trying to level up, they take longer to occur. Nice how that works, huh? Confused ), but other than that I thought it was a great game. Just wish the Wanted-bosses weren't so irritatingly difficult since they level up as much as you do (I'm a firm believer in "level grinding = pwnage on the enemy except maybe the final boss and hardest optional bosses").

Of course, I need to get a new copy eventually, my Gamecube copy has started freezing occasionally the last time I played it, and in a game where sometimes save points are far apart, that can be irritating to say the least.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
I'll never understand what Cave's thinking is. They seem to release their arcade ports mostly to the Japanese XBLA as far as I've seen... that's a pretty stagnant market to focus on.

First, Cave has only done one XBLA game, which was Guwange, and XBLA games are released all over the world. What you mean is that they release their arcade ports on the Japanese Xbox 360, not XBLA.

Second, the 360 is by far the "otaku" and arcade-port console of choice over in Japan. Unlike the original Xbox the 360 has carved its own niche over in Japan and the kinds of games Cave develops are just a small portion of that niche.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
On Xenogears:

Quote:
button-mashing battles

You weren't playing it right. Every button press you made put you on a specific combo path finisher. Now you didn't have all the finishers early in the game, but there's definitely not button mashing going on.

Just to let peeps know who haven't played this yet.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah the Dreamcast. If they were going to do a collection they could have at least put the first Space Channel 5 and the original Jet Set Radio. I don't particularly care for Jet Grind Radio since it's more of a updated version of the first one. Sure the first one is pretty primitive by the later version's standards, but it has some great music and gameplay. Even the 2nd games soundtrack wasn't all that great. That's just my opinion but it had some great tunes. Just not as good as the first.

Man if I got a million dollars for everytime Xenogears was released or FFIV (as well as every other FF release) I'd be rich. I still have yet to play Xenogears. I still have my old copy but never gave it a spin. It's funny I mean I was just hearing about this game last year being put up on PSN JP.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sad to see I was right about what would happen with Sentinel. Why did Capcom feel the need to purposely keep the unbalanced nature of Marvel Vs. Capcom? There was a reason why Street Fighter III was considered the best competitive game until Street Fighter IV came out.

SNK's Mark of the Wolves is probably more balanced than SF 3, but of course everybody outside of the SNK diehards passed over MOTW.

And I think SF 3 is still a better overall game than IV. Wow, did SF IV (and SSF IV) get overrated real fast. I mean, it's not a bad fighting game by any means, but come on...

Anyway, I like the MvC series for what it is, a pure, unadulterated slobberknocker franchise. It's something you play with your friends during a party, a "chips and pop" type fighting game. It was never meant to be a game for the diehards who obsess about balance and mechanics and whatnot.

As for Skies of Arcadia, I really liked it. It's very reminiscent of the original Grandia for me, though I played the GC version which did have slightly less random encounters (slightly!). On the flip side, the DC soundtrack has much better sound quality, given that it was spread over two discs compared to the GC's cramming into one. But I can see how the game can turn off those typical JRPG fans who always first ask, "So what about the story?"

(Yes, it has a story, but the game is more about the experience of exploring the world. Kinda like the DQ games.)

Last edited by bravetailor on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Yeah, that Dreamcast Collection is pretty much the worst collection ever, especially when you consider that both Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi are already available on XBLA and they haven't exactly aged well, to put it mildly. After the excellent SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection I was expecting something a lot better. Here's hoping they'll give some more thought to Dreamcast Collection 2. Of course, Saturn and Mega CD would be nice too.

SEGA continues to hold a strict patent on Saturn's archtecture and continues to protect its trademark and IPs, there will likely NEVER be a Saturn collection release on Xbox or Playstation.

Also the DC collection is just a rehash for 360 consmuers not into DLC. I'm once again dissapointed by Todd's anti-Sega cynism.
(blah,blah things are getting better and better at SEGA, quit your bitching.)

As for Skies Of Arcadia, anyone who hates this game is either RPG illiterate or someone who's just plain Zelda or Final Fantasy bias.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
SEGA continues to hold a strict patent on Saturn's archtecture and continues to protect its trademark and IPs, there will likely NEVER be a Saturn collection release on Xbox or Playstation.

That's a shame. I'd love to finally have a chance to play Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga.

On Skies of Arcadia, it's a great game, but I can certainly understand why some would put off by it. For a game relying on atmosphere and exploration it had an annoyingly high encounter rate and the battle system wasn't anything special either (a bit broken in fact, IIRC).
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

That's a shame. I'd love to finally have a chance to play Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga.

On Skies of Arcadia, it's a great game, but I can certainly understand why some would put off by it. For a game relying on atmosphere and exploration it had an annoyingly high encounter rate and the battle system wasn't anything special either (a bit broken in fact, IIRC).

One of these days, the next arcade board from SEGA could have a console to go with it. You never know what the future holds, when that happens you see Saturn IPs get a DLC application release of some sorts.

As for Skies of Arcadia, well its sort of a casual style RPG game thar reqiures a bit of simple know how.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sad to see I was right about what would happen with Sentinel. Why did Capcom feel the need to purposely keep the unbalanced nature of Marvel Vs. Capcom? There was a reason why Street Fighter III was considered the best competitive game until Street Fighter IV came out.

I also agree about Akuma his overhyped, and overused for a character whose supposed to be this badass loner . You named a couple of characters like Jon Talbain, Lynn Kurosawa, or Strider who could have been much better characters to use.

i was expecting the kind of balance we saw in SF4 and SSF4, but boy was i surprised. You'd think capcom would learn some things, that it makes your game incredibly un-fun when no skill hacks can win a game by spamming the same attacks over and over again. It wouldn't be so bad if 90% of the player base didn't include sentinel in their comps.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
That dreamcast collection is pretty pathetic. 4 titles makes it just seem like a cash in that's been quickly and poorly done. The dreamcast disc was only 1.2gb, and like most disc games, I'm sure that it wasn't full. I would have expected 6-8 titles, though 10 would have been a nice round number.

I only played Skies of Arcadia on the GC, but I'm surprised to hear such disdain for the title as I don't think much was changed from the DC version. As an RPG player I really enjoyed it and found the airship aspect very well done and fun to play. Though I couldn't care less personally if it was in a Dreamcast collection since I can play the (improved) version on the Wii Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Henry Jones:
Quote:
BUT...... it has problems. Major problems.

Yeah, yeah... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
In fact, problems so major, I sometimes question whether the people who hail it as the greatest game ever made actually love it for the game it wants to be instead of the game it IS.

The people who love it for what it is were most likely disgruntled Final Fantasy fans who hated 7, and wished it would go away.

Quote:
and LONG cutscenes (Especially before hard boss fights)

Meh, compared to MGS 3, they're a walk in the park.

Quote:
made almost intolerable by slow text speed that can't be changed,

Ok, I'll give you that, but at least it's not Lunar 2 slow.

Quote:
The graphics are ugly, and while people may rush to defend it for "being pretty good at the time," no. I was there.

Uh, the graphics were fine. Especially when you compare them to- once again-FF7, not to mention that Front Mission game which came out the same year and just has talking heads and robots you can't even see connect their attacks with other robots.

Quote:
Then there's dealing with the RIDICULOUS encounter rate. I actually began to get stomach pains from the sound of the PS1 loading because there were so many battles. I don't care how good of a system you have. Even when I LOVE a battle system (Resonance of Fate), at 40, 50, 60 hours of being constantly bombarded, anything becomes too much

Yes, but the encounter rate works for you, not against you, which is what a good rpg should do.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It wouldn't be so bad if 90% of the player base didn't include sentinel in their comps.

I keep hearing that, and yet I've run into far fewer Sentinels than Spencers, X-23s and even MODOKs online.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I only played Skies of Arcadia on the GC, but I'm surprised to hear such disdain for the title as I don't think much was changed from the DC version. As an RPG player I really enjoyed it and found the airship aspect very well done and fun to play. Though I couldn't care less personally if it was in a Dreamcast collection since I can play the (improved) version on the Wii Wink

I think the general consensus is that the GC version doesn't sound as good because the entire game was crammed onto one mini-DVD and apparently the game doesn't look as good because it doesn't support progressive scan, so the game can only look its best when played through the Dreamcast's VGA output.

Other than those I don't really hear much difference between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3