• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

TsunaReborn! wrote:
Haha, true - my opinion is flawed unless I can understand the other 99% of the Japanese language.

Your opinion is not really flawed. I was just being anal.
There are a few things that I tend to overreact to and "the way it was intended to be watched" just happens to be one of them.Sorry about that.

Ha no need to apologise, its true and it made me laugh because I had never thought of it that way, when like you I can be quite anal with specifics in other peoples logic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kookykonata

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
I would have to say that out of the to I certainly prefer to watch a dubbed version of an anime, although now-a-days it seems as if certain companies (i.e. Funimation) are getting really lazy with their voice acting abilities. Shows like "Is This A Zombie" killed me to watch in english because of the main male character. It was absolutely dreadful.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:

How much Japanese have you learned this way? Razz

I don't know about other people, but I learned enough Japanese from anime to automatically enter Level 2 in my University's Japanese classes, with very basic grammar self-studying -and my teacher insisted that I should've skipped to level 3 instead- Up to this day (I'm currently on level 5) I'm amongst the top of the class, without much extra studying because I learn a lot of vocabulary from anime and the grammar that I learn in class, I hear it in subbed anime and understand its uses better.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
English-dubbed animes are the worst to watch...Thank you...
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The most amusing aspect of this whole "debate": it's been moot ever since DVDs. And that's well over 10 years ago.

You pay the same amount for a single language DVD as multiple language ones.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Re: KyuuA4 While I agree that DVDs rendered much of the debate moot, anyone who's ever been part of an anime club knows that the conflict rages on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
When I started out not long ago, I obviously was watching stuff in English. But as I discovered more things I wanted to watch that weren't in English yet, I wasn't going to wait, I could definitely watch anime in Japanese.

Eventually I found myself 50/50, and now, I watch anime in Japanese about 75% of the time. Still, there are very few times where I actually "cringe" at an English dub - I think the worst I've ever heard was Utena. Listening to some things in English are actually a better experience; well, for me at least. B Gata H Kei was so much more hilarious in English than in Japanese, but it wasn't because of the English voice actors. It was the English script, which was headed by Jamie Marchi and Leah Clark. They brought out the true nature of that series.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I like subs more because it's good Japanese practice I like seeing if i can tell what their saying and if it matches the subs or if the subs have mistakes . Since i've been doing it a long time to i kinda got use to watching subs i only watch dub if it's on adultswim
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
I prefer to listen it in my own language - you know, just as the Japanese get to. Wink
Gwiazdeczka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Subs only.

I think english dubbing fans native language is english,
so for them english subbing doesn't sound strange.
and I think most of them watch foreign movies (not only anime)
with english dubbing.

I, for example prefer watching French/Italian... movie with original dubbing and with subs, even if I don't know French/Italian and without subs I have no idea what they say.

For me one of anime charms in Japanese dubbing.

Mangaka sometimes pick seiyuu without audition,
because making it he already know which seiyuu voice fit to character.

Even no after all these years watching anime,
I don't even learn Japanese, but still can watch raw anime or listen drama cd, watch event without subs,
and I understand alot, because of this.

I give a chance to english dubbing but it seems to be like another 'anime alike' cartoon,
whole anime charms was killed because of dubbing.

I so happy that in my country anime like; Death Note, Bleach, Tsubasa Chronicle... and some others have subs, because I can watch anime in TV and still can have original dubbing Smile
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Re: KyuuA4 While I agree that DVDs rendered much of the debate moot, anyone who's ever been part of an anime club knows that the conflict rages on.

Which says more about the intolerance of such people than the debate itself. For a lot of people it's no longer about what they think is best, but rather what they think of others who don't agree with them. Media that gives people the choice has made the debate obsolete, and it only continues because some people are too closed-minded and rigid and intolerant of those who don't see and do things the way they demand. It's sad really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Truth.

Most of the people in my group are tolerant, and overall I would estimate we watch 65% sub and 35% dub. Every once in a while we have the complainer that isn't happy with the particular choice that was made, but most people are okay with that. Part of the reason the sub percentage is so high is that a fair number of the titles nowadays, on Crunchyroll or some physical media, are sub only. But I'm sure at least about half of our members would like to watch shows dubbed if possible.

So as the person basically in charge of things, sometimes I have to make the call to watch a show or movie one way or the other, and I know I can't always have it according to my preference (sub).

But I don't really consider myself anti-dub, I'm just more pro-sub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
larinon wrote:

Which says more about the intolerance of such people than the debate itself. For a lot of people it's no longer about what they think is best, but rather what they think of others who don't agree with them. Media that gives people the choice has made the debate obsolete, and it only continues because some people are too closed-minded and rigid and intolerant of those who don't see and do things the way they demand. It's sad really.

I have to concur. Nobody should have to tell others how they "should" watch an Anime. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on whether a dub is good or not, but to call that person wrong for not seeing things their way is borderline disrespectful and rude. Now I am not totally innocent of that either; I have stood up for dubs which I felt were being unfairly trashed while some may take it as a case of me putting them down when I'm not trying to.
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
I prefer dubs for the sole reason that when I have attempted watching subs, I spend more time reading the dialogue then watching the actual show. Need to improve my multi-tasking abilities haha.
ZeroXSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Dubs. No offense against Subs, but i just prefer not to read while i watch. Although once in a great while i might watch an anime with Subs when there isn't any version available with Dubs. Openings i'm pretty flexible with, just so long as they're good.

Overall i prefer Dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15