• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host Otaku Blogger/TV Host Danny Choo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy the Culture Japan series. I wish someone would license the series and put it out on DVD/Bluray. Danny Choo only has the "digest" version on his Youtube account which is edited. There are many chapters like the visit to Good Smile or Shibuya that are cut down. I guess the full version is several hours long since the Youtube version is over an hour.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime Expo to also host voice actor Vic Mignogna at Guest of Honor

Excuse me, gonna punch a Koala.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
This has been brought up before, and others can say more than I, but suffice to say Danny Choo is quite a controversial figure, and it has come under question exactly how much of a "pop culture Japan" expert he actually is, so much as just self-promoting both himself and an idealized Japan otaku-paradise of his own creation.

Particularly, the whole "dancing in the street in a stormtrooper outfit" as if the entire city of Tokyo is an endless anime convention....when in reality that would seem just as weird as if he did it on the streets of New York City.

yes, many of us enjoy cosplay...at conventions, which are essentially designated costume parties. But just wearing the costume in the street? He passes it off as if people think its cool there when really he elicits a lot of stares.
Erilea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
whoo! I've always wanted to meat Danny Choo!
I read off his site like every day
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm a big fan of Danny Choo. He's real good at self promotion though, I'll give him that. Still, he must be popular enough if AX is gonna bring him back again. So, good for the people that like him I guess.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Better warn girls not to cosplay as Ed.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Excuse me, gonna punch a Koala.

^This. Seriously, how many conventions is he going to do this year? Aren't people getting tired of seeing him?

As for Danny Choo, _v_ can you point me in the right direction in regards to those controversies. I'm curious to read them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You people are getting your panties in a notch. You don't like them, then don't go to the convention. Simple as that. Very Happy
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
You people are getting your panties in a notch. You don't like them, then don't go to the convention. Simple as that. Very Happy

How come we have to like them to attend the convention? Confused

I don't like Vic yet it wouldn't stop me from going to AX. I just don't want to have to deal with his rabid rangers.

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of hard since he goes to so many conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nagashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE VICAR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
This has been brought up before, and others can say more than I, but suffice to say Danny Choo is quite a controversial figure, and it has come under question exactly how much of a "pop culture Japan" expert he actually is, so much as just self-promoting both himself and an idealized Japan otaku-paradise of his own creation.

Particularly, the whole "dancing in the street in a stormtrooper outfit" as if the entire city of Tokyo is an endless anime convention....when in reality that would seem just as weird as if he did it on the streets of New York City.

yes, many of us enjoy cosplay...at conventions, which are essentially designated costume parties. But just wearing the costume in the street? He passes it off as if people think its cool there when really he elicits a lot of stares.

I will give you that he is eccentric. Is he that far off base to the general anime fan base. If we compare ourselves to people who do not watch anime, we are just like Danny Choo. I know many non-fans find anime fans odd. So watch who you call "weird." Cosplayers go around town during a convention all of the time. I was at a Walmart during an convention weekend and found several people in costume.

From your comment, I take it that you have not seen the Culture Japan video. Try watching it. Japanese high school, Edo Wonderland, fans showing off there collections, how figures are made are just a few of the things shown in his show. Yes, it is geared more toward anime fans (FYI this is an anime site.)

I find Choo far more entertaining than Jeff Corwin (don't know if I spell his name right...care less), and his animal show. On top of the fact, there are few shows who show off Japanese culture (even if he focuses more toward otaku stuff.) I do not think he really finds himself any more of an expert than anyone else does on this forum. There are A LOT of EXPERTS here Wink
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, Vic freakin' Mignogna as a guest of honor? I thought Guest of Honor slots were usually given to guests that actually took some effort to lure out to cons, not a guest that you can get at your con pretty much just by existing.

On the other hand, I remember a time when it was hard to get Anime Expo to admit that English-language voice actors even existed, so there's that.

------RM
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote

It is a mistake cons should learn not to make - unless they enjoy subjecting their gophers to his showman tendencies. Good luck, guys.

If he ever comes to AnimeBoston again, I will have to control my urge to attack him. My boyfriend was one such gopher at a smaller con, and Vic was beyond rude to him. And really, my bf has a personality that is such that if you're nasty to him, I can only assume that you kick puppies for a living.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
midnightshinigami wrote:
As for Danny Choo, _v_ can you point me in the right direction in regards to those controversies. I'm curious to read them.

Perhaps the inability to find these controversies on your own be a clue one man's opinion may not be accurate?

The only "controversy" I've seen attached to him was his work on his anime, to which he's using non-paid talent while looking for distribution outlets to earn revenue from it? I ask it as a question because I've not seen Choo say so (unless I missed it).

Choo, for the most part, is entertainment. You can take what he says in the same manner people take what they hear of Glenn Beck (who blames Google for Libya's revolution).

Personally, I've nothing against the guy and actually enjoy his articles. They're just fun to read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3