• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sega Asks for Fan Support for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F in the West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sega, and that stupid Mage commitee they put together for the "live" concerts, should pull their collective fingers out their arses and do more concerts around the world to promote it better. Wink

Mage commitee? You mean MAGES (formerly known as 5pb) the company.

Well, the CEO of Crypton hopes to get more concerts to other parts of the world. Whether that happens or not is another story.
Yeah them too. forgot the "s". Laughing
Itoh-san can hope all he wants, but he's only one vote in the commitee, but squeaky wheels and all that. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
If they really want to market to the West and establish Miku as a legitimate franchise instead of just an exotic Japanese export, it's better to go multiplatform nowadays. Western gamers typically play more PCs and 360s than Japanese, plus the PC version can be more easily ported to the PS4 when it comes out.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If they really want to market to the West and establish Miku as a legitimate franchise instead of just an exotic Japanese export, it's better to go multiplatform nowadays. Western gamers typically play more PCs and 360s than Japanese, plus the PC version can be more easily ported to the PS4 when it comes out.

You're assuming some things here. 1) You think SEGA wants to make these games a big deal in North America (because in Europe by large, the PS3 is a more successful platform than the 360), rather than just some additional money on a completed project, 2) the super weaboo audience willing to drop $60 on a Japanese-music rhythm game are on 360/PC, and 3) that a port to those platforms would make money.

If SEGA did a 360 version and wanted to go retail with this game they'd be forced to do at least 40,000 copies. That's way too much for an experiment. Frankly, SEGA does the PS3-only releases with Yakuza, and that's a franchise that would be much better suited towards multi-platform releases.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
the PC version can be more easily ported to the PS4 when it comes out.
What makes you think that? Porting something typically has less to do with the systems architecture than the APIs involved - a DirectX-based game would port easier to the 360 than either OSX or Linux. In the same way, it'll probably be easier to port a PS3 or Vita game to the PS4 than a Windows game.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why you guys outright think they'd sell physical copies of this. It screams digital download via whatever console they decide to release it on, if they do at all. Not much of a risk in loosing money making copies of an obscure Japanese game, full of Japanese music with that.

I'd buy it for my Vita.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You're assuming some things here. 1) You think SEGA wants to make these games a big deal in North America (because in Europe by large, the PS3 is a more successful platform than the 360), rather than just some additional money on a completed project, 2) the super weaboo audience willing to drop $60 on a Japanese-music rhythm game are on 360/PC, and 3) that a port to those platforms would make money.

In Europe, I'd say 55% PS3 / 45% 360, but the West overall 47% PS3 / 53% 360. And of course PC goes without saying. Either way, that's a large chunk of the market to ignore. And yes, I'm assuming they (not just SEGA but also those companies involved with Miku) want to make a bigger deal out of this franchise (not just the game) in the West. The Toyota ads, the concerts, the upcoming English versions, etc. They're already going thru all the trouble. When establishing a legitimate franchise that people won't dismiss simply as an exotic export, yes they have to spend money to court non-weaboo audience to make money. SEGA doesn't have to shoulder all the costs in development and marketing; the other sponsors could subsidize too. Though the J-music would still be a huge challenge for many, so it may be wiser to wait for the international versions.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
[Though the J-music would still be a huge challenge for many, so it may be wiser to wait for the international versions.
This is what people have been barking at Crypton at Miku's facebook site, but it still a work in progress even though they just released Kaito on Vocaloid3 with a very coherent English VB.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I don't see why you guys outright think they'd sell physical copies of this. It screams digital download via whatever console they decide to release it on, if they do at all. Not much of a risk in loosing money making copies of an obscure Japanese game, full of Japanese music with that.

I'd buy it for my Vita.

Yeah, I pretty much assumed it would be digital only since theres no way they would dub this, and Sony of America doesn't allow subbed only titles to get a physical release.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though the J-music would still be a huge challenge for many, so it may be wiser to wait for the international versions.

Enurtsol, people are listening to K-pop worldwide, if people can handle K-pop, then J-pop wouldn't be any different other then it's a different language. What do you want? Miku Hatsune to do Gangnam Style, and singing Girls Generation and Wonder Girls songs (I can't imagine Miku singing Wonder Girls "Nobody", and dancing to SNSD "Gee" and "Oh!") to appeal to the western market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though the J-music would still be a huge challenge for many, so it may be wiser to wait for the international versions.

Enurtsol, people are listening to K-pop worldwide, if people can handle K-pop, then J-pop wouldn't be any different other then it's a different language. What do you want? Miku Hatsune to do Gangnam Style, and singing Girls Generation and Wonder Girls songs (I can't imagine Miku singing Wonder Girls "Nobody", and dancing to SNSD "Gee" and "Oh!") to appeal to the western market.
Imagine no further. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Imagine no further. Laughing

Yeah it was inevitable that Miku was going to dance to Girls Generation. Here's her doing Gangnam Style. Yeah looks like Miku got K-pop fever too. Laughing

Hm maybe they can release a DLC where Miku to K-pop tune for the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, I pretty much assumed it would be digital only since theres no way they would dub this, and Sony of America doesn't allow subbed only titles to get a physical release.

Well, exceptions have been made like the Yakuza series. Considering PJDF is a rhythm game with nary a voiced speech, an exception could be made. But, I feel like this probably going to be a digital only release considering the nicheness of the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3