• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Garden of Sinners' Atsuhiro Iwakami and Hikaru Kondo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
The movie is extreme niche as it is, I'm glad that it didn't go up to $1,000. Here's crazy Japanese video pricing back 14 years ago. When Tokuma released all of Studio Ghibli films except Princess Mononoke in Collector's box set (Ghibli ga Ippai) in laserdisc, it was almost $2,000. We're talking about all of Miyazaki and Takataha movies produced in Ghilbi before 1997 priced at almost $2,000!

Actually, it was priced for 98'000 Yen, IIRC. I bought the box 14 years ago in Switzerland for around $1'500.

So when I hear today's fans complaining about too high prices, I can only snear.

Quote:
Only extra it had was Miyazaki interviewing Akira Kurosawa. Extreme it maybe, but all of hardcore Ghibli fans pre-ordered and bought the box sets. Thank god I didn't buy the box set.

You forgot the making of Omoide Poro Poro, the On your Mark clip and all the short animated clips produced by Ghibli up until that day. And some of the movies like Kiki and Porco Rosso also contained the old English Dub by Streamline. These were all exlusive bonuses. Finally, the box itself had a nice surface finish, like smooth silk. I'm glad I bought the box but would I have bought it if I knew that two years later Ghibli would start releasing its movies on DVD for a cheaper price.... I don't know, maybe yes, maybe no. Fact is, the Ghibli ga Ippai LD-Boxset was the only way to get all of the Ghibli movies in best quality for the same price as if one would have bought all the individual laserdisc, plus the aforementioned bonuses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
ALL HAIL FATE/ZERO! But honestly, the original game had so much spoiler for Zero......
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
I really don't want to get into this too deeply, but it does seem we are headed (or basically there) towards casual v. collectors when it comes to anime. Some just want DVD-only, and some want the whole nine-yards of the Japanese market. (with the latter group finally starting to grow)
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I really don't want to get into this too deeply, but it does seem we are headed (or basically there) towards casual v. collectors when it comes to anime. Some just want DVD-only, and some want the whole nine-yards of the Japanese market. (with the latter group finally starting to grow)

Well, some of us actually want Blu-rays because of space issues and high-definition. Others want DVDs because the price is usually lower and the quality isn't that much better than the high-definition.

In this case though, each movies was made into a blu-ray disc and if it were on DVD, it would take up the same space. So, no advantage to DVDs in space. But price would be the other factor because DVDs are generally cheaper. So, until they stop making DVD players, DVD sales will continue.

I'm still complaining about that damn price of over $350. The average hollywood movie comes out at about $21*8 movies= $147, now if it were a blu-ray release, $36*8 movies= $288.

The thing that surprises me though is that the Aniplex's release in the US is currently sold out. So, it proves that there is a market for this pricey release, even if we think otherwise.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
The thing that surprises me though is that the Aniplex's release in the US is currently sold out. So, it proves that there is a market for this pricey release, even if we think otherwise.

Oh man, Rightstuf took it off their site this week. (don't know if it was already sold out before that) There goes my "maybe I'll get down the road" plan.

Actually, I'm pretty happy that the limited release did well here.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
reanimator wrote:
The movie is extreme niche as it is, I'm glad that it didn't go up to $1,000. Here's crazy Japanese video pricing back 14 years ago. When Tokuma released all of Studio Ghibli films except Princess Mononoke in Collector's box set (Ghibli ga Ippai) in laserdisc, it was almost $2,000. We're talking about all of Miyazaki and Takataha movies produced in Ghilbi before 1997 priced at almost $2,000!

Actually, it was priced for 98'000 Yen, IIRC. I bought the box 14 years ago in Switzerland for around $1'500.

So when I hear today's fans complaining about too high prices, I can only snear.

Quote:
Only extra it had was Miyazaki interviewing Akira Kurosawa. Extreme it maybe, but all of hardcore Ghibli fans pre-ordered and bought the box sets. Thank god I didn't buy the box set.

You forgot the making of Omoide Poro Poro, the On your Mark clip and all the short animated clips produced by Ghibli up until that day. And some of the movies like Kiki and Porco Rosso also contained the old English Dub by Streamline. These were all exlusive bonuses. Finally, the box itself had a nice surface finish, like smooth silk. I'm glad I bought the box but would I have bought it if I knew that two years later Ghibli would start releasing its movies on DVD for a cheaper price.... I don't know, maybe yes, maybe no. Fact is, the Ghibli ga Ippai LD-Boxset was the only way to get all of the Ghibli movies in best quality for the same price as if one would have bought all the individual laserdisc, plus the aforementioned bonuses.

In the US, it was almost $2,000. I kid you not. Anyway, it was very expensive. I made mistake on bonus materials because it's been ages since I looked at the Animage advertisement.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that they point out that KnK was made with non-fans in mind, and the Tales of Symphonia OAV wasn't. Because, as someone who knows the game, I find the ToS OAV far too jarring and deviating from the game's story to enjoy. It seems to me that the edits made to the ToS OAV are very much geared toward someone who hasn't played the game, and therefore won't be staring at it going "what the hell? How did they get that from the game?"
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Good to see they'll put a lot of effort into Fate/zero. With the same staff from Garden of Sinners (and character design, even!) this is bound to be awesome.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Giving us the same thing the Japanese fans get? That's still no legitimate reason to bleed us Americans dry like that and alienate those of us who just want DVDs instead of Blu-ray!

Until Aniplex U$A wises the hell up and starts doing things right, they aren't getting any of my money unless it's for Durarara!!. No dub, no sale. No cheap DVD release, no sale either! They need to realize that the American DVD market is not and never will be the same as it is in Godzilla's homeland. Hence, until they wise up, I'll only watch Garden of Sinners via rips and fansubs.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Your observation is right. I'm not going to judge the interview content, but it gets ugly when someone brings up pricing issue.

No matter how vocal casual fans get on cheaper versions, does it represent demand from all casual fans? Not likely. How many casual fans in the US or Canada either seen or heard this about the movie? Again, not much.

If casual fans want cheaper regular edition DVD's, then they should get enough petition signatures to justify their demand. Growling about it won't get anywhere. It's all numbers game. The movie has been out for almost 3 years. I'm surprised that no one did anything to ramp up the interest.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kara no Kyokai already released on dvd format in Japan. You can always import those if you want it. Of course, the price is the complain, not the format itself.

KnK is a big success for them to try to sell expensive items in US.
I don't see how they can make more money by selling it cheap.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather see more high margin high value blu-ray-and-tons-of-nice-extras releases with English subs than more cut-price el-cheapo licensed DVD releases. The former actually add something over whatever will end up floating about on the internet, but the latter will invariable be worse. The cheap end can be better served with downloads and 'burn-your-own' discs and actually compete with fansubs, and actually nice physical releases can offer what downloadable versions cannot.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Spiderman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, An American Tail, Blue Dragon, Smash Bros. and Grandia 3? Wow I'm quite impressed there. Such a variety :0

I wonder if they'll ever do an anime of Type-Moon vs Godzilla.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

alot of people who claim to only want the dvd and don't want anything extra that's on the blu-ray and special edition. They lied, They clearly want those extra. They always find a way to watch those extra illegally.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
But calculating the costs, we couldn't make the same package [at a more normal U.S. price] that we made in Japan. But we recognize the expense.

So why not just make a cheaper package? I mean, do we even need all that junk? Look what happened to Working Designs when it went that route with games. The die-hards were the only ones buying their products by the end.

Working Designs went under because Sony kept blocking their releases. Their Collector's Edition releases sold well and it's what kept them afloat without releasing a single game for the last two years of their existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7