• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Garden of Sinners' Atsuhiro Iwakami and Hikaru Kondo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys, but for $400 I'm pretty sure I could get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 BDs. Even in the Japanese market, I'd sooner splurge on Patlabor films/OVAs and Bubblegum Crisis before dropping that kind of cash on something sight unseen. You know, I highly doubt that GoS is so good it's even really worth 200 dollars. Aniplex et al have a lot of nerve if they actually think what they're selling would be worth forgoing what could be bought instead. I'm glad they're interested in making anime for the 21st century, now if they'd only live here with us...

John Casey wrote:
I buy bootlegs because my personal gratification is all that matters.

Edited for brevity. Just face it Casey, you're too punk rock for these ANN squares. They could never understand your insatiable anime lust. Good luck with not letting your dad down, btw.
skchai1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
skchai1 wrote:
In a similar spirit, instead of arguing with extreme words, let's seriously try to work out the numbers. We assume (just for rhetorical purposes, of course) that anime companies are businesses. . . .

No question U.S. sales would go up if cheaper sets were available here simultaneously with the Japanese release. But enough to offset reverse imports?

Assume a scenario where a U.S. BD boxset at $50 street price is released simultaneously with a Japanese versions at 41.6K yen or approx. $500 s.p.. Suppose this causes (conservatively) 30% of the 26K Japanese buyers who purchased the domestic version to instead web-purchase the U.S. version. Assume markup is similar.

Question: What level of increase in U.S. sales would make this a wise business decision? Anyone care to do the math? Change the percentages within reason if you want. How likely is it that such a number would be reached?

US sets get do released a few years down the line if there seems to be enough demand, since, as nightjuan says, this doesn't hurt domestic sales nearly as much. The core audience is too impatient to wait. The time lag does hurt U.S. sales, of course, since the U.S. audience is also impatient and may resort to fansubs instead. Factor that in if you want, and even ignore free legal streaming since that hasn't been available so far in the case of KnK.

If we're claiming that a much cheaper U.S. simul-release would be the smart thing for Aniplex, let's provide some realistic math to show how this would work. . . .

As for reducing the price in Japan, that is indeed a can of worms. But if anyone cares to do take this on with plausible assumptions (including factors such as the current and potential market for different genres, the relationship between price and demand in each market, rental at Tsutaya etc., legal streaming on Niconico etc., illegal downloads and torrents vs. prosecution etc.) to come up with something that resembles an optimal pricing model for anime producers, they are 9000*GARrer than Kenshiro.

Ugh . . . kind of vaguely remember arithmetic . . . so not to spoil anyone's fun, but based on the assumptions above they would need an increase of about 70K units in sales beyond what they would get from a $50 s.p. U.S. substantially-delayed release to make a $50 s.p. U.S. simul-release worthwhile for them financially. Seems very unlikely, but maybe some ANN insider has access to sales data for box sets of similar genre titles so at least we have a baseline . . . . Again, if someone wants to do analysis using alternative plausible assumptions, that's great.

That leaves legal streaming, which is a fine alternative to watching fansubs on pirate sites. But not much help yet for the issue at hand, i.e. making it financially viable to produce and distribute more high-quality anime at an affordable price. We need another 9000*Kenshiro to take that on.

But honestly, Aniplex have no reason to change because 10, 50, or (I remember) 150 people on this thread claim they would buy the KnK boxset if it were cheaper, often throwing in some choice words in the process. I understand why people complain about the high prices. But instead of focusing on our individual displeasure, it'd be better to work together (does this sound like Densha Otoko?) to think of ways that make simul-distribution of much cheaper anime media in the U.S. a financially beneficial proposition overall for an often economically shaky industry. And some reasonably rigorous logic and evidence to back it up would be nice . . . any takers?

Last edited by skchai1 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:01 am; edited 3 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for JC Sad
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

John Casey wrote:
I buy bootlegs because my personal gratification is all that matters.

Edited for brevity. Just face it Casey, you're too punk rock for these ANN squares. They could never understand your insatiable anime lust. Good luck with not letting your dad down, btw.

Actually, yes. I mean, why else do we buy anything if it isn't a living necessity? Personal gratification. I can count the number of people I know on one hand who buy DVDs and video games solely for charity or supporting the industry. If we buy a piece of entertainment, it's ALWAYS for our self gratification.

If you buy DVDs for enjoyment, you can't EVER deny that.

nhat wrote:

True but you're not helping the situation either. If you wanted a physical copy, just burn it on disk.

Are you trying to prove something to yourself or to the people at Aniplex?

If you want to prove Aniplex a point, send the bootleg to Aniplex office or something with a letter.

You know what? I think I just might do that after I'm done watching it with me dad. :3

Truthfully, I already have the series downloaded... But converting MKV files down is a massive loss in quality, not to mention you have to hardcode the subs, then go with a format that will work on a PS3. It's a huge hassle, and results in a very great loss in quality.

Now, just cause I don't own any bootlegs, doesn't mean I wasn't exposed to it. :3 Worst case scenario, the subtitles are a hatchet job, but from what I gathered, they've massively improved them in the last...er, ten years or so. When it comes to pirating stuff onto DVDs, I'll leave it to the professional pirates. Unlike them, I don't have stolen studio software and equipment on hand which smooth-ens the transfer. Wink

But, you know what man? Sending in a bootlegged copy alongside a letter is a pretty strong way in protesting Aniplex's business "strategy." If that doesn't tell them "you're doing it all wrong" and they just don't get the hint, then they're just idiots.

But yeah, I think people are getting the wrong impression here. I'm not buying the bootleg to spite Aniplex - I bought it so I can have the series in a tangible form that I can play anywhere, and just have a good time with my dad. If I wanted to spite Aniplex, then I would send them the bootleg.

Which is a very open option.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
JC. You and your dad should split the cost of the import.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

But, you know what man? Sending in a bootlegged copy alongside a letter is a pretty strong way in protesting Aniplex's business "strategy." If that doesn't tell them "you're doing it all wrong" and they just don't get the hint, then they're just idiots.

Probably not quite as strong a message as a $400 box set completely selling out on the first day of an extremely limited release.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
JC. You and your dad should split the cost of the import.

That sounds nice.

Only, I can't justify even $200 for a Blu-Ray set, and neither can he, considering I bought my dad this this Christmas.

Then of course, there's the fact it all still amalgamates to a mere 8 disc set for $400 dollars.

It's kind of like...even a gold plated turd is still a turd. A little sprinkle of gold dust won't change that.

Also, it isn't entirely just about watching it with my dad. That's part of the reason. The other part is, as someone pointed out, personal gratification. I want the set for myself. And I'd have to be out of my gourd to spend even half the cost for something so little. If I'm going to pay for a DVD or Blu-Ray set, I'm paying a DVD/Blu-Ray price. Not a Rolls Royce.

Zac wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Probably not quite as strong a message as a $400 box set completely selling out on the first day of an extremely limited release.

...Did you even notice the fact that you yourself pointed out the irony...? "Limited release."

...Things in limited numbers usually tend to sell out faster, since, you know, they aren't that many of them? It's not like we're talking "theatrical limited release" here...

Anyways, honestly, I don't want to talk about this. It's bullshit, and it pisses me off, and I too feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I refrained from mentioning anything like this in the last two or so articles. And even in here, I said not a word of how utterly pompous and pretentious, and frankly, dickish, Iwakami and Ko sounded when they basically said a nice big "fudge you" towards a cheaper release. I could go on all day about that. But I'm shutting up now. It's obvious it won't happening, so I'm settling for the next best thing. What the rest of you do is your business, but my issue with this....erm, issue, has concluded. I got what I wanted, even if it isn't what I really wanted. I would pay up front any day for a reasonable legit release, and I'd turn the other cheek regarding the sheer arrogance of this if they ever got around to finalizing a proper release. But I have to face the music: It's not happening.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
@John Casey:

Charity is a seperate issue. Incidentally, charity has no business with the way I do business; if it wasn't clear before, it'll be a cold day in hell before I fork over four big ones for anything less than a special edition including the narcotics requisite to deal with the loss.

Enjoyment is fine, but it would be a gross oversimplification to say this is an expense limited to your pocket; the collective pocket of Aniplex and friends takes a hit, if but a small one. However, you throw additional dirt in their faces by monetarily rewarding someone else for their efforts. What's more, you're probably funding organised crime. What happens to the money beyond that point is irrelevant to the fact that you did so knowingly and people like yourself make it possible for them to continue and prosper.

$400 is a bargain in comparison.

You have a world of alternative decisions before you, and yet you choose one of it not the most destructive means to consume anime. I'm not even convinced you have the apologetic werewithal to justify it to yourself, much less a forum of people who more or less despise that nonsense. No wonder you're upset.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Catering to the otaku super-collector market is fine, but they're not the sole market that might be interested in a product, and incidents like Kara no Kyoukai's apparent release model honestly have me more worried for the anime industry than upset about my own selfish wants. They seem to be actively and deliberately cutting out the casual market in favor of solely pursuing the otaku that cuts food out of their budget for the hottest moé hug pillow or $500 super-package of K-On! tchotchkes with a DVD buried somewhere under them, and I worry that such a single-minded pursuit is only going to lead to a massive loss of potential revenue and bigger financial troubles down the line. There has to be a happy medium somewhere; perhaps release the big $<life> bundle-box first and have it exclusively available for the first six months, then follow that up with the economy package for the casual market. It's not a market to underestimate, much less exclude or try to force into the otaku mode of making purchases.

And yes, yes, they're well within their rights to sell their product any way they so choose. But as I continue to pick my teeth up off the ground after getting socked in the face with the realization I will likely never, ever own a copy of one of my all-time favorite movies (well, movie serials), I also worry about whether or not they're in the process of shooting themselves in the foot selling it in such a way.

I think they are playing the exclusive nature of this set for all they can right now. It sold well, better than they probably expected. They probably will make some more of these "limited" items while the wave is at its peak.

The thing that amuses me is that this scarcity is artificial. This product is marketed (and received by the consumer) as a highly allocated item, much like 1st growth Bordeaux. Unlike the wine, which is a truly allocated item since there is only so much juice from one harvest's worth of grapes, this is something that can be copied and sold as bootlegs or made available through download.

Sure, the packaging can be attractive, but I have no doubts that if they really think there is a larger, casual market for this show it will be released in a more affordable package down the road. They're just not going to say so now. Maybe a couple of years, when the discussion dies down a bit but the casual market has identified themselves and is still viable. We'll see, I guess.

That being said, I can't blame them for exploiting their market in any way they can. It's business. They have pretty much confirmed that there is an otaku market here in the "west" that is willing to spend the same as in Japan. I expect that there will be more of this kind of thing, but it will be done only with otaku or extremely niche shows. This will never fly with shows that have identifiable mainstream appeal. I am interested to see how this will play out, and what kind of collectors mentality will develop. This show is more attractive to me at this point as a reseller, than any interest i may have in the show itself. (Wine buying is still a safer investment in comparison)

In the meantime, I am very happy with the (four) NIS collectors boxes I bought, which seem like a real value in comparison.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
their efforts. What's more, you're probably funding organised crime.

The way you put that, I have this eerie feeling that I should build some elaborate underground base underneath my house. And come time, have a giant blimp emerge from it while I bellow out an evil laugh while counting money.

What started as a simple DVD purchase from a random Canadian eBay vendor, turned JC into a diabolical criminal mastermind with ties to the Triad...! Tune in next week, and witness further descent into darkness...and PURE EVIL!
skchai1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
JC: Apologies; but don't think anyone is seeing you as the Penguin. Equiv. is more like someone paying several bucks to buy warez from some small-time hoodlum.

Whatever . . . but the following does piss me off, especially the moralizing:

John Casey wrote:
It's bullshit, and it pisses me off, and I too feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I refrained from mentioning anything like this in the last two or so articles. And even in here, I said not a word of how utterly pompous and pretentious, and frankly, dickish, Iwakami and Ko sounded when they basically said a nice big "fudge you" towards a cheaper release. I could go on all day about that. . . . I would pay up front any day for a reasonable legit release, and I'd turn the other cheek regarding the sheer arrogance of this if they ever got around to finalizing a proper release. But I have to face the music: It's not happening.

Pompous, pretentious, dickish? Unreasonable and not legit? What they're doing is the following the only strategy that been demonstrated so far to make non-mainstream anime genres financially viable. It's not beyond the realm of possibility other strategies with lower prices even during initial release might work, in fact it would be great, but I haven't seen any clear logical argument showing this to be the case, especially when you consider releases across the board, not just the biggest hits. If someone can demonstrate otherwise, she/he would be much garlanded. Until then, calling people dickish because they're trying to stay in business while producing high-quality, non-mainstream stuff . . . . is not very impressive.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm sure any anime production company would love to have the same relationship with U.S. fans that it does with Japanese fans, but that unfortunately overlooks the differences in both markets.

More to the point, US fans aren't going to be willing to pay the same comparatively outrageous DVD or BD prices that Japanese fans are forced to pay.

By not releasing a cheaper version, Aniplex seems content to leave money on the table. I suspect that despite what they've said in this interview that they will eventually release a disc only version, but probably long after it has been pirated to death and would generate any meaningful sales.

Aside from that point, I also found the candor of the studio guy to be refreshing. Thanks for bringing us this interview, ANN!
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Forget all these emotional outbursts. It's the cold, harsh reality of math and statistics determines the pricing anyway.

Even if the price has lowered to $40 DVD format, there is no guarantee that it'll sell 250,000 copies to make $10 million in given time frame. I wonder how many licensed anime titles here that made at least 10,000 mark?

tuxedocat wrote:
I think they are playing the exclusive nature of this set for all they can right now. It sold well, better than they probably expected. They probably will make some more of these "limited" items while the wave is at its peak.

Sure, the packaging can be attractive, but I have no doubts that if they really think there is a larger, casual market for this show it will be released in a more affordable package down the road. They're just not going to say so now. Maybe a couple of years, when the discussion dies down a bit but the casual market has identified themselves and is still viable. We'll see, I guess.

That being said, I can't blame them for exploiting their market in any way they can. It's business. They have pretty much confirmed that there is an otaku market here in the "west" that is willing to spend the same as in Japan. I expect that there will be more of this kind of thing, but it will be done only with otaku or extremely niche shows. This will never fly with shows that have identifiable mainstream appeal. I am interested to see how this will play out, and what kind of collectors mentality will develop. This show is more attractive to me at this point as a reseller, than any interest i may have in the show itself. (Wine buying is still a safer investment in comparison)

In the meantime, I am very happy with the (four) NIS collectors boxes I bought, which seem like a real value in comparison.

You just said the all the right things.

You know it's kinda funny when casual fans treating their niche anime movie as same level as mainstream flick and getting emotional over pricing. Japanese casual fans are no different from casual fans from the west. If Aniplex relied on some vocal Japanese fans instead of serious math for pricing, they would gone out of business long time ago. The movie content is niche as it is, their regular edition DVDs didn't sell by 10,000's.

Last edited by reanimator on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

What started as a simple DVD purchase from a random Canadian eBay vendor, turned JC into a diabolical criminal mastermind with ties to the Triad...! Tune in next week, and witness further descent into darkness...and PURE EVIL!

I'd be a little more enthused if you would see to restoring the Ming...
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I'd be a little more enthused if you would see to restoring the Ming...

Gah! Anime hyper Dammit, you're right. And I was just rewatching Flash Gordon like two weeks ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7