• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Garden of Sinners' Atsuhiro Iwakami and Hikaru Kondo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Truthfully, I already have the series downloaded... But converting MKV files down is a massive loss in quality, not to mention you have to hardcode the subs, then go with a format that will work on a PS3. It's a huge hassle, and results in a very great loss in quality.
You and everyone else need to go grab an MKV player at Target. Or wherever they sell mass amounts of electronics. They are like $50 now. Stop living in the past with the ridiculous restraints of physical media. Free your mind, educate yourself.

And for F- sake, don't watch Kara no Kyokai with your Dad. It an engrossing seven movie story not marathon family hour at the Casey's.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Truthfully, I already have the series downloaded... But converting MKV files down is a massive loss in quality, not to mention you have to hardcode the subs, then go with a format that will work on a PS3. It's a huge hassle, and results in a very great loss in quality.
You and everyone else need to go grab an MKV player at Target. Or wherever they sell mass amounts of electronics. They are like $50 now. Stop living in the past with the ridiculous restraints of physical media. Free your mind, educate yourself.

And for F- sake, don't watch Kara no Kyokai with your Dad. It an engrossing seven movie story not marathon family hour at the Casey's.

Firstly, as someone who once owned an MKV player, I can guarantee you that they be horseshit. I owned three in the past, and they all ended up at Goodwill's due to various, frankly retarded problems, ranging from not being able to read USB sticks, to constant video fizz outs, to HDMI cables not working, to remote controls not functioning at all. Etc etc etc. I guess they all in general are built like crap. And even if they aren't, I'm not bothering with them anymore. Three times is way more than enough.

Secondly, you don't know my dad, so shut the hell up and get disappeared. It was his idea anyway - one which I fully support. If you assume that he's a "Disney dad", then you haven't been on these forums long enough, didn't see too many of my posts, and therefore would jump to stupid ass conclusions without any sort of basis. It was my dad who introduced me to anime. And his idea of introducing his kid to anime isn't watching some shit like Pokemon. It was Escaflowne, Lodoss War, and Berserk.

Did I have a slightly screwed up childhood as a result? Possibly. But it's almost assured it was helluva lot more fun than yours, if that's what your direct assumption is.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:

People who are currently working and not going to school, can afford $400 for a seven Blu-ray movie collection. It's not a problem.

Not everyone who works can afford a $400 BD set. Hell I don't bring home $400 a week to afford that. Even if I did I probably wouldn't buy this set, since I know nothing of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
To the moderator who deleted the last few posts including my own, thank you!

I've already stated this before, but I'm done confronting people, especially zealots and hypocrites, over my decision. So don't bother posting your disapproval over how pure evil I am.

Oh, and just for clarification... Random Canadian eBayer who sells mostly kitchenware and random music equipment, with a single DVD listed =/= Chinese Triad bootlegging evildoer. Just wanted to set that record straight, for the, I dunno, third time now?

Like I've said a million times now, when Aniplex releases a reasonably priced set, I'll be all over it. I love this series. I'm a self-confessed fanboy, even. But until then....
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Censorship. Damn. (2ways)

I wonder what was cut when they made the discs?
citizenplain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Probably not quite as strong a message as a $400 box set completely selling out on the first day of an extremely limited release.[/quote]

I was very happy to read that bit of news when it broke. I was hoping Right Stuff would sell out of those box sets, as it was a sign of two things: an improving economy (for hardcore buyers at least), and a sign that there are still people who appreciate collector's editions in this digital age. I just wish they'd couple it with a lower priced release, or maybe even distribute it digitally somehow.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought it was crazy to pay 400 dollars for this. Only the most crazed fans would drop that much money for it.

Now, I have been watching "Puella Magi Madoka Magica", and I have realized that I would pay anything for this series. Especially, if the series will not make it over here.

I don't believe I am crazed, but perhaps I am.
gwdone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked the interview. I also am one that likes good packaging for my taste and shelves.

'Garden of Sinners' is doing something right because after seeing how crisp the artwork was, and the fact that it looked like a pretty heavy series of movies, I decided to take a dive and get it. .. Well, it's sold out in the U.S. and in Japan. At least it is at the places I shop.

I also like the 'Persona' / 'Toradora' / 'Pandora Hearts' packaging with the hard cover books in each box set.

Single Blu-ray packaging has not been my particular cup of tea. Even the blue plastic holder is very weak. And even the booklets are tiny, not much room for extras. I do have 'Freedom' in blu-ray and it is actually pretty decent packaging, but nothing like the above described.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I hear people talking about the "presentation" of this set making it worth the obscene price tag, but take a step back and think about it...what in this set actually makes it cost $400? The fancy packaging? We know it can't be that, when you compare it to other collectors' sets out there. The hardcover artbook? Do yourself a favor...go walk into a local bookstore and tell me how much your average color hardcover of comparable size goes for. The Blu-ray disks themselves? Obviously not. So where is that price coming from? Just from the artificial scarcity of the release, that's where. I utterly loathe the concept of objects becoming super-expensive just because of externally-imposed market forces, whether it's in this case or in the case of ten-year-old used single DVD volumes of an obscure series. I feel like we as consumers have the right to not get bent over a table by prices that are at least twice as much as any rational appraisal would set them at.

And I hate to tell Mr. Kondo, but I get a "happy feeling" even when a $15 bargain-bin thinpack shows up at my doorstep, thank you very much. It's the possession itself that counts, not how much I got ripped off in the process of buying it. It seriously does sadden me that this thing managed to sell out, because it states that some number of overseas fans are willing to fling themselves into the exploitative (hell, I'd even argue unethical) Japanese home video market. Seriously, we can't let them perpetuate this crap.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:

People who are currently working and not going to school, can afford $400 for a seven Blu-ray movie collection. It's not a problem.

I work 35-40 hours a week, and after rent, utilities, car payment, food, gas, student loans, insurance, and a couple other disparate bills, I wind up with just slightly more in my bank account at the end of the month than I had at the beginning of the month. And that goes to savings in case something goes wrong, as well as my rather minuscule "vacation" every year (three days in September for AWA, basically). If I were financially irresponsible, then oh yeah, I could definitely spring for a $400 ripoff box. But as it stands, the only way I'm dropping any kind of money on Kara no Kyoukai is if they release an economy copy that I could squeeze into my budget without going hungry and having no water or power that month. Don't assume that everyone who works has the same overly generous amount of money to throw at recreational widgets and such, because it's really not the wisest generalization in the world to make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Nagisa, you obviously don't want the collectors box. If you did you wouldn't find a way not, to like you just explained.

Go about 4 days without eating. It's a shock, I know. You will save enough money each week to get it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Good....lord...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Good....lord...

OtakuExile's reasoning makes more sense then buying a bootleg.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Good....lord...

OtakuExile's reasoning makes more sense then buying a bootleg.

No...no it doesn't. At all.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Nagisa, you obviously don't want the collectors box. If you did you wouldn't find a way not, to like you just explained.

Go about 4 days without eating. It's a shock, I know. You will save enough money each week to get it.

Like I said, financial responsibility. Needs come before wants. I want Kara no Kyoukai on DVD. I need nutrition and I need to have bills paid. Yes, there's finding a way to get the wants in life by cutting back a little here and there, but there are responsible, reasonable ways to do that. In fact, I do it all the time so I can have enough money for recreational odds and ends without breaking the bank (like, say, anime DVDs that aren't priced by madmen). But going most of a week without food, or skipping out on gas until you can't make it to work, or canceling insurance for a few months just for something purely fun and nonessential is irresponsible at best, potentially dangerous at worst.

People who are working and not going to school also have genuine responsibilities dogging their bank accounts. Without those, yes, affording a $400 toybox with a couple blu-rays in it would be a cinch. But in the real world, those responsibilities have to be tended to, and sometimes that doesn't leave enough remaining to be able to spring for optional fun things like that within reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7