• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Time to Make the Doughnuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

But you did unironically brag about being on 4chan before someone else, which I found hilarious.

Only because he keeps bringing it up as some sort of justification of his offensive opinions.

Also, seriously, thats not a moddable offense? For real?

People can get their posts deleted for having one too many layers in the quotes, but him calling all Otaku violent and misogynist (not to mention his comments in the Qwaser thread accusing everyone who liked the show of having severe sexual psychosis) aren't even worthy of comment?

For real?

You really need to examine your moderation staff's priorities.

We also have users who think women are dumb animals controlled entirely by emotion and hormones, people who think racism can be cultural-relativism'd away, people who think literally everyone who enjoys moe shows are pedophiles, people who bash the hell out of fujoshi every chance they get.

I may vocally argue against the more dire takes on social issues, but I don't ban people unless they're getting personal and aiming direct personal attacks at another user. Having stupid, uninformed, terrible myopic views of the world isn't really a bannable offense in nearly any forum you're going to come across, which I think can be proved by visiting nearly any forum anywhere.

I personally think Chagen's view is ludicrously incorrect, unfair, and basically prejudiced, but so far he hasn't directly insulted you or anyone else, so he gets to have his stupid opinions just like you or me or anyone else. If he crosses the line, out he goes. Right now he's just walking right along it.

Which is more than I can generally say for you, really. I don't appreciate Chagen's participation here whatsoever, but you're the last guy who gets to complain about someone else being a nuisance. I mean, I haven't even banned you once yet and you routinely scream obscenities at other users. I should've banned you by now, but I haven't, largely because I think you're a mostly-harmless irritant who has let the entire community know what precise kind of crappy behavior to expect from you and you rarely deviate from it. We tolerate you just like we tolerate Chagen.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you think I ban people for disagreeing with me, by the way. Absolutely hilarious. It's entirely an invention inside your own mind.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
But /a/ is where true Otaku reside. They're practically western versions of Japanese Otaku.

/a/ is nothing at all like "true otaku", whatever that means. They can be just like any other anime forum, only with anonymous posting which leads to amazing amounts of trolling. If anything the community there is pretty schizophrenic: you make a thread on One Piece or Naruto can it can get spammed and tormented because those are "casual pleb shows that ruin the name of anime" but then you make a thread discussing how awesome old TV dubs like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors were and you get tons of positive replies and praise for them. I'm not sure how "otaku" it is to like those kinds of dubs.

I also go to 2chan, which I guess qualifies as "Japanese Otaku" and I can assure you the anime threads on 2chan are nothing like they are on /a/. 2chan is far and away a much nicer and more quality community. About the only decent theads on /a/ I find are the Pretty Cure ones, but those seem to becoming fewer and fewer these days as the fanbase moves to other places to discuss the franchise. Well, I guess Yu-Gi-Oh threads can be decent so long as it's about the anime. Threads about the cards tend to just be people nostalgiaing about playing them as a kids and nothing more.

Last edited by TitanXL on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I may vocally argue against the more dire takes on social issues, but I don't ban people unless they're getting personal and aiming direct personal attacks at another user. Having stupid, uninformed, terrible myopic views of the world isn't really a bannable offense in nearly any forum you're going to come across, which I think can be proved by visiting nearly any forum anywhere.

Maybe the community would be better if ANN had a more active moderation policy regarding certain elements you mentioned (namely, the misogyny and racism that creep up from time to time). I read a lot of news sites so I realize it's present almost everywhere--and often much worse. Where it's not present--is because a lot of work goes into keeping it out (thinking Ta-Nehisi Coates blog's comment section, for example). But it's your forum and your rules.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
As far as Fujoshi and Moe Otaku unite concept it'd be great but there's I think some differing meanings of what is meant by Moe when dealing with Moe Otaku or Fujoshi so it's a diffrnce of terms in those two groups.

That won't happen. In order to be an Otaku, one MUST have a violent and misogynistic, almost worrying hatred of real-life women. Just stroll on over to /a/ and you'll see plenty of proof.

Otaku and Fujoshi will never unite. One wishes to see the other DEAD.

Chagen46 wrote:
You truly have never been to /a/. The term "3D Pig Disgusting" isn't just a joke.

Chagen46 wrote:
But /a/ is where true Otaku reside. They're practically western versions of Japanese Otaku.

Is that all you got? /a/? Right, because /a/ is most certainly representative of otaku culture, right? At best, /a/ makes an attempt at emulating the worst elements of Japanese otaku culture, but how much do you, I, or any given person on /a/ really know about the entirety of otaku culture?

I'm not talking just the most extreme cases that you see on Sankaku Complex, or that /a/ attempts to be a simulacrum of. I'm talking the average, everyday otaku indulging in otaku culture?

Where exactly do you get off making massive, sweeping generalizations about an entire fanbase based on the actions of a group of fans interpreting and emulating the worst parts of said fanbase from an overseas perspective?
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Draneor wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
You truly have never been to /a/.

Not every passionate fan goes to 4-chan. I'd in fact argue most don't. The culture for /a/ only speaks for /a/.

saying that /a/ is where true otaku reside is a lot like saying that the westboro baptist church is where true christians reside, or that a white supremacist meeting is where true republicans reside.

You are judging an entire sub-culture by the anonymous internet postings of a few of their members. It's called stereotyping and it's a sh*tty argument.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
while it is true in japan otaku is used as a insult that does not mean people called otaku have to fit that sterotype. and it does not mean they are at war with anyone.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Akage no Anne is fansubbed. So are several other WMT shows.

Glad someone stated this in the first post here, I was going to state so too since I did get all those episodes back when they were coming out.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I went to see TOP GUN in IMAX 3D and it was pretty good. Due to the age of the film, some of it was a bit grainy when projected on IMAX, but it mostly just looked great. In fact, it was probably my favorite 3D movie I've seen, which may sound odd. But I think it's because the post-3D effects were rather subtle and became more of a visual style than a gimmick, such as in something like Friday the 13th 3D, where objects are hilariously dangled in front of the object to give you a jump. In TOP GUN, it was a more realistic depth of field, but it did make the experience a little strange at times. If they do anything close to that in Jurassic Park, I think it will be amazing. That being said, I'm a huge F-14 fanboy, so take that into consideration.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:
Justin, I went to see TOP GUN in IMAX 3D and it was pretty good. Due to the age of the film, some of it was a bit grainy when projected on IMAX, but it mostly just looked great. In fact, it was probably my favorite 3D movie I've seen, which may sound odd. But I think it's because the post-3D effects were rather subtle and became more of a visual style than a gimmick, such as in something like Friday the 13th 3D, where objects are hilariously dangled in front of the object to give you a jump. In TOP GUN, it was a more realistic depth of field, but it did make the experience a little strange at times. If they do anything close to that in Jurassic Park, I think it will be amazing. That being said, I'm a huge F-14 fanboy, so take that into consideration.
The blu-ray.com review was also quite favorable towards the conversion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8