• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Time to Make the Doughnuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You...you do realize that paleo dieting, and basically all dieting, it pure pseudoscience that doesn't work, right?

Justin, I would expect a man of your intelligence to not be conned by woo.

Thanks for your Internet condescension and bullshit Wikipedia link, but the 55 lbs of fat I lost last year, plus the inch of gut diameter I've lost in the 3 weeks since this diet began, are all the proof I need of how ignorant I'm being.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chagen46, you may have not been trying to insult Justin. But, by saying that his dieting didn't work even after Justin said that he lost 55 pounds in one year through a combined dieting and exercise program, you were essentially inferring that Justin is a liar. That may have not your intention, but that's how it came across to me.

The chance of that diet actually doing anything is immensely slim. The exercise alone probably accounted for 99% of the actual weight loss.

Also, debunking woo and promoting rationalism is a bad thing now? Our society is truly doomed.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much looking forward to more interviews with people who were part of the early anime scene. When Toren Smith died, I immediate thought that it would have been nice if he had been interviewed on ANNCast like Robert Napton, David Riddick or Carl Macek. I hope that it works out.

I was pretty surprised to hear Justin speak more or less well of J. J. Abram's Stark Trek. It doesn't fit with my image of his tastes... and I really, really didn't like it, which doubtless taints my attitude.

I was a little embarrassed when I started trying to answer the question about the first VHS, DVD and Blu-ray. I came to anime after DVD had taken the market over, so I only ever bought two videocassettes... the first being Maris the Chojo... and the second being Wanna-Be's of all the dumb things. The first DVD was, inexplicably, Assemble Insert. My first blu-ray is a trickier question, because it was Princess Jellyfish, but it was in a combo pack that I was at the time buying for the DVD. (I also got Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise for the same reason) The first Blu-ray that I bought for the format was Summer Wars.

I would go with Ed Wood, Coleman Francis and Uwe Boll over corn dogs and deep fried butter at the the state fair.

Or Orson Welles, which would count as three, at least quantitatively.

With a ten hour filibuster by Osaka from Azumanga Daioh as a chaser.

Whenever you talk about food on this show it gets confusing and weird and Californian and I feel like I should be eating a soup of the clumps of hair and dead skin that have fallen from my withered head in a broth of my own tears.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
If I were to say they might have more luck with the World Masterpiece Theater anime of Les Miserables... but maybe that's just my wishful thinking as a fan of the musical.
eeeee Wolf Children~ I'm seeing it tomorrow. I think there's a discussion after with Hosoda, too Anime smile

*Hey, is anyone in New York, and wants a ticket? I have an extra ticket, actually, I can send it over email... Is it okay if I say PM me if you want it? If it's not, a moderator can just delete this paragraph, + sorry*

Edit: also, I would love to hear Sebastian from Black Butler give a 10 hour filibuster. J. Michael Tatum definitely has one of those "I'd listen to him read the phone book" voices + his Sebastian accent + the kind of crazy stuff Sebastian would fill that with. That would be brilliant. <3

Last edited by LavenderMintRose on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
My only guess why they still make compilation anime movies is for fans in Japan who can't drop $50-60 a disk for 2 episodes of long running shows.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
If I were to say they might have more luck with the World Masterpiece Theater anime of Les Miserables... but maybe that's just my wishful thinking as a fan of the musical.
eeeee Wolf Children~ I'm seeing it tomorrow. I think there's a discussion after with Hosoda, too Anime smile

*Hey, is anyone in New York, and wants a ticket? I have an extra ticket, actually, I can send it over email... Is it okay if I say PM me if you want it? If it's not, a moderator can just delete this paragraph, + sorry*

I am going to NY tomorrow as well Smile

I am kind of amused that you have the exact same problem as me with the ticket. I managed to find someone to give it to.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been a longtime fan of Rurouni Kenshin, but I've never liked how the TV series was handled, so aside from my ancient fansub tapes with varying subtitle quality, the only RK I own on video is the Tsuioku-hen blu-ray Aniplex released a year or two ago (which looks great, but also has varying subtitle quality). I mean, I enjoy the TV series for what it is, but the last third has a bad wheat-to-chaff ratio. I do own three copies of the manga, though (Japanese volumes, the initial Viz release, and most recently, the nice VizBig volumes), because I think the manga is by far the best presentation of that story. Viz's translation is good, maintains a good balance between terms that ought to be translated and terms that it benefits the story to keep as Japanese words, and even accomplishes the difficult task of translating Kenshin's antiquated speech patterns over to English in a way that doesn't sound totally forced. They also include a glossary in the back with all the Japanese terms; something I appreciate publishers doing as an alternative to just translating all foreign terms (I remember Del Rey also going the "glossary" route with xxxHolic and appreciating that).

The manga gets through in a brisk six volumes the entire first arc of RK's story and, though you really feel the growing pains of the story's expansion beyond its initial scope and Watsuki's improvement as an artist in those volumes, it sets up a good lead-in for the memorable Kyoto and Revenge arcs. And it's important to have the Revenge Arc in there; the story needs the confrontation and closure it provides, and it does a lot of good in rounding out Kenshin as a character. If the Kyoto Arc was about Kenshin as a figure or a representation of his ideals, the Revenge Arc is about his failings as a person, and how he faces those things. Viewers of the TV series got Kenshin at his most heroic, but not at his most vulnerable.

Anyway, I kind of have a self-flagellating urge to watch this new OAV, if only for completion's sake, though I'd much rather see the live-action movie. That's been licensed for U.S. release already, right? I've heard it's actually pretty good for what it is, and mirrors the plot of the "new" RK manga Watsuki drew as a tie-in for the movie's release (read a couple chapters in Shonen Jump Alpha; not sure how long it is in total).

Also...about Kenshin being "undubbable," the more I think about that, the more I'm given to believe it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
I've been a longtime fan of Rurouni Kenshin, but I've never liked how the TV series was handled, so aside from my ancient fansub tapes with varying subtitle quality, the only RK I own on video is the Tsuioku-hen blu-ray Aniplex released a year or two ago (which looks great, but also has varying subtitle quality). I mean, I enjoy the TV series for what it is, but the last third has a bad wheat-to-chaff ratio. I do own three copies of the manga, though (Japanese volumes, the initial Viz release, and most recently, the nice VizBig volumes), because I think the manga is by far the best presentation of that story. Viz's translation is good, maintains a good balance between terms that ought to be translated and terms that it benefits the story to keep as Japanese words, and even accomplishes the difficult task of translating Kenshin's antiquated speech patterns over to English in a way that doesn't sound totally forced. They also include a glossary in the back with all the Japanese terms; something I appreciate publishers doing as an alternative to just translating all foreign terms (I remember Del Rey also going the "glossary" route with xxxHolic and appreciating that).

The manga gets through in a brisk six volumes the entire first arc of RK's story and, though you really feel the growing pains of the story's expansion beyond its initial scope and Watsuki's improvement as an artist in those volumes, it sets up a good lead-in for the memorable Kyoto and Revenge arcs. And it's important to have the Revenge Arc in there; the story needs the confrontation and closure it provides, and it does a lot of good in rounding out Kenshin as a character. If the Kyoto Arc was about Kenshin as a figure or a representation of his ideals, the Revenge Arc is about his failings as a person, and how he faces those things. Viewers of the TV series got Kenshin at his most heroic, but not at his most vulnerable.

Anyway, I kind of have a self-flagellating urge to watch this new OAV, if only for completion's sake, though I'd much rather see the live-action movie. That's been licensed for U.S. release already, right? I've heard it's actually pretty good for what it is, and mirrors the plot of the "new" RK manga Watsuki drew as a tie-in for the movie's release (read a couple chapters in Shonen Jump Alpha; not sure how long it is in total).

Also...about Kenshin being "undubbable," the more I think about that, the more I'm given to believe it.

The problem with all of the Kenshin anime is that you never get the feeling like the Director ever understood what made Kenshing great (this becomes more apparent in the latter anime) and included stuff that didn't fit like adding those two obnoxious children, and the changes to the Raijuta arc that ruined the good things that arc had.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:

Edit: also, I would love to hear Sebastian from Black Butler give a 10 hour filibuster. J. Michael Tatum definitely has one of those "I'd listen to him read the phone book" voices + his Sebastian accent + the kind of crazy stuff Sebastian would fill that with. That would be brilliant. <3

Agreed, though I might go with his Japanese voice. Daisuke Ono, mm... x3

I'm tentatively looking forward to The Great Gatsby, as it is my favorite book of all time and I'm more or less obligated to see any movie adaptation of it. The teaser trailer was god-awful, but the longer trailer seemed a bit more promising. It seems like this director's style could either fit the book really well, or completely miss the point. I dunno, it seems like most of the adaptations I've seen try to romanticize the 1920s, which is exactly the opposite of the point of the book. x.x We'll see how this version fares. Also looking forward to Iron Man 3, because I rather like those superhero movies^^

Fun podcast, definitely looking forward to some of those interviews Smile

EDIT: I forgot to add this, but I just wanted to say why I like watching shows as they air. It's fun to discuss them with other people, and I like the anticipation of waiting for new episodes to come out. It's the same reason I still like watching new American shows as they come out, instead of DVRing them and watching them later. I understand why people would prefer to wait for the shows to conclude and hear others' opinions about them, but I do enjoy watching them as they come out. Ultimately, it's just a matter of preference^^

Last edited by rheiders on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Chagen46, you may have not been trying to insult Justin. But, by saying that his dieting didn't work even after Justin said that he lost 55 pounds in one year through a combined dieting and exercise program, you were essentially inferring that Justin is a liar. That may have not your intention, but that's how it came across to me.

The chance of that diet actually doing anything is immensely slim. The exercise alone probably accounted for 99% of the actual weight loss.

Also, debunking woo and promoting rationalism is a bad thing now? Our society is truly doomed.

You're right. A diet that promotes cutting refined sugars and processed foods is kraaaaaaaazay!

Yeah, I don't think the modern "paleo diet" resembles anything at all the diet of our ancestors, but any kind of diet that promotes a) cutting processed shit and b) still eating healthy, normal amounts of food, I'm okay with.

Anyway, anime. I also recently watched the Kenshin OVA, and the dub just makes some bizarre casting choices. Yahiko sounds like a smoker, Soujiro sounds like a menopausal woman, and Usui was elected to have a really affected Spanish accent. Very off-putting. I'm not one of the sticklers that thinks that the English voices have to match the Japanese voices, but I mean, let's get in the right ballpark of character age.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Usui was elected to have a really affected Spanish accent.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. He sounds like the Nasonex Bee.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Yahiko sounds like a smoker, Soujiro sounds like a menopausal woman, and Usui was elected to have a really affected Spanish accent. Very off-putting. I'm not one of the sticklers that thinks that the English voices have to match the Japanese voices, but I mean, let's get in the right ballpark of character age.

Wow, this dub is sounding all the more awesomely-bad by the second.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree with Zac on the Gurren Lagann movies. I thought they were great all around and summed up the show much better then most compilation movies. Especially the first one as they smartly chose to condense several fights into one awesomely animated finale. In the end, I guess the problem here is that support/background characters get a raw deal, but I think the core story is still well delivered and anyway the awesome over top artistry is still fantastic in the 2nd one.

Though, then again I have seen the show so I'd probably fill in the blanks and really just enjoy some of the newer animation and chance to see more of the characters and style of GL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the weight loss, Justin, and good luck on your current diet. I'm also trying to slim down right now, so I know losing weight is tough.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the question I asked, about dropping a show after one episode, I'm glad you took the time to answer the question.

It was definitely a misconception on my part and I definitely take back what I said. I just sort of got that impression from a couple of the ANN casts where some live action shows were talked about and some anime as well, so it just sort of seemed that way.

I pretty much do the same exact thing you do as well to an extent. I usually dont read reviews but look to see if the art or premise intrigues me. I'm also weird in the fact that I rarely drop a show. The only show I can think of that I actually dropped was Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere due to being horribly written and the characters being grating.

In regards to The Great Gatsby, I was extremely excited about it until Jay Z was brought on board to help with the score. I have a horrible feeling rap is going to be scattered throughout a movie where it doesnt belong.

Last edited by Nocturne123 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8