• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Time to Make the Doughnuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
As far as Fujoshi and Moe Otaku unite concept it'd be great but there's I think some differing meanings of what is meant by Moe when dealing with Moe Otaku or Fujoshi so it's a diffrnce of terms in those two groups.

That won't happen. In order to be an Otaku, one MUST have a violent and misogynistic, almost worrying hatred of real-life women. Just stroll on over to /a/ and you'll see plenty of proof.

Otaku and Fujoshi will never unite. One wishes to see the other DEAD.

You are truly a spectacularly offensive person.

You truly have never been to /a/. The term "3D Pig Disgusting" isn't just a joke.

Quote:
No, in order to be an otaku, you have to be really, really into anime. That's it. Even the precise manifestation of that interest is debatable. A person's social views have nothing to do with being an otaku.

Being hateful and misogynistic is no more intrinsic to being an otaku than it is to being a gamer. Or a sports fan, for that matter.

No, just being into anime a lot makes you an....an anime fan. Not an Otaku. The word's practically a slur in Japanese and there's a reason why.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
That won't happen. In order to be an Otaku, one MUST have a violent and misogynistic, almost worrying hatred of real-life women. Just stroll on over to /a/ and you'll see plenty of proof.

What you can see proof of by strolling over to /a/ is the particular /a/ subculture.

And of course, the fact that there are Japanese otaku that are douchebags to fujoshi is no excuse for anybody else doing the same.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You truly have never been to /a/.

Not every passionate fan goes to 4-chan. I'd in fact argue most don't. The culture for /a/ only speaks for /a/.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Not every passionate fan goes to 4-chan. I'd in fact argue most don't. The culture for /a/ only speaks for /a/.

But /a/ is where true Otaku reside. They're practically western versions of Japanese Otaku.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
But /a/ is where true Otaku reside. They're practically western versions of Japanese Otaku.

Categorical thinking about sub-groups of people along with invented purity tests don't really have a lot of value, to be honest. Also, note females can be otaku too! Your definition excludes them.

Last edited by Draneor on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Draneor wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I watch 10+ shows of anime every season and have spent way too much money on JP BDs, figures, manga, LNs, artbooks and even a few dakimakura. I *AM* the Western version of an otaku.

So, either I am not actually an otaku because I don't go to /a/, or I am a hateful misogynist because I spend a lot of money on anime stuff.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You truly have never been to /a/. The term "3D Pig Disgusting" isn't just a joke.

Thats pretty hilarious. I'm quite sure I was actively posting on /a/ long before you even knew of 4chan.

(granted /a/ is terrible, but seriously stop bringing it up as the ultimate defense of your terrible opinions)
Stealth00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The chance of that diet actually doing anything is immensely slim. The exercise alone probably accounted for 99% of the actual weight loss.

Also, debunking woo and promoting rationalism is a bad thing now? Our society is truly doomed.

Your link does not even support your supposition. It states that most weight loss is due to lower caloric intake. Adding exercise when one didn't do it before is also going to build muscle mass.

P.S. it's scientifically known that both alcohol and sugar lead to lipogenesis.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm quite sure I was actively posting on /a/ long before you even knew of 4chan.

Gosh, you must be so proud.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm quite sure I was actively posting on /a/ long before you even knew of 4chan.

Gee Zac, is that your major takeaway from this conversation? Seriously?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Gee Zac, is that your major takeaway from this conversation? Seriously?

No, but someone having terrible opinions isn't bannable. I'm only here to keep the peace at this point.

But you did unironically brag about being on 4chan before someone else, which I found hilarious.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

But you did unironically brag about being on 4chan before someone else, which I found hilarious.

Only because he keeps bringing it up as some sort of justification of his offensive opinions.

Also, seriously, thats not a moddable offense? For real?

People can get their posts deleted for having one too many layers in the quotes, but him calling all Otaku violent and misogynist (not to mention his comments in the Qwaser thread accusing everyone who liked the show of having severe sexual psychosis) aren't even worthy of comment?

For real?

You really need to examine your moderation staff's priorities.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
In order to be an Otaku, one MUST have a violent and misogynistic, almost worrying hatred of real-life women. Just stroll on over to /a/ and you'll see plenty of proof.

No, in order to be an otaku, you have to be really, really into anime. That's it. Even the precise manifestation of that interest is debatable. A person's social views have nothing to do with being an otaku.

Being hateful and misogynistic is no more intrinsic to being an otaku than it is to being a gamer. Or a sports fan, for that matter.

It's not just anime it is someone who is very obsessive about any topic, which may or not make them socially crippled.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
In order to be an Otaku, one MUST have a violent and misogynistic, almost worrying hatred of real-life women. Just stroll on over to /a/ and you'll see plenty of proof.

It's not just anime it is someone who is very obsessive about any topic, which may or not make them socially crippled.

Well, right, that's its usage in Japan anyway. But when discussing it on an anime forum or otherwise amongst anime fans, if its not modified with something, its understood to be an anime otaku.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
@Fencedude5609:

If you've got a complaint then make a thread in the Feedback sub-forum.

----------

As for Chagen46, I think most of the time it's just funnier to let him be and watch him dig his own hole. When I read that he thinks /a/ is the sole bastion of Western Otaku I just chuckled and then moved on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8