• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - For Eva and Eva

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
can someone tell me how closely the Eva manga follows the anime? As someone who has watches the series multiple times, I'm trying to deice if the manga is worth it or not.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I think that it's worth it. I think the differences (especially early on) serve to give more depth to the entire franchise. The differences become more pronounced in the later volumes (as Sadamoto matures), but, just like the Eva remake movies, the differences augment your appreciation of the franchise as a whole.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
can someone tell me how closely the Eva manga follows the anime? As someone who has watches the series multiple times, I'm trying to deice if the manga is worth it or not.

While it follows the same general path as the anime, it takes its own turns along the way, where we get to see development of the characters that are, in my opinion, preferable over the anime. The manga also has cool moments the anime didn't have, like Shinji spoiler[actually meeting his mom in one of his angel-induced mind-trips], and Kaworu spoiler[joining and fighting along with the other Eva pilots early on]. I think the manga is truly shining toward the end (as of Volume 13), where it follows the story of the End of Eva movie (not the TV ending), and there the characters really take different turns (Shinji most especially) that are pleasantly surprising and even a cheerworthy relief. Volume 14 is supposedly the final volume, and I for one can't wait to see Sadamato's take on the conclusion. In short, yes, definitely worth it.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:

The basic plot is still the same but the execution tends to be quite different. Characters develop differently and just all in all, it tends to have a different tone.

Something I think that the manga did that worked so much better is spoiler[ introducing Kaworu early on. He gets fleshed out, and so does Shinji, in that regard. He actually fights with the pilots on a few occasions because of the fact he's introduced earlier on. ]

I actually LIKE manga Shinji more than anime Shinji because of how he acts in certain situations.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 is the second weakest umineko arc in my opinion if not the weakest. it is almost a toss up between episodes 1 and 2. this is not because they are bad, it's just that the rest of the material is much better. there are a lot of reason for it but the review says pretty much all of them. first off it's slow, (the art in the manga could be better but there is no magical eye candy either so that is a let down). then you have maria acting very odd for maria (she is my favorite character) and not having here normal depth. then you have the lack of the deduction sequences and the logic that drives the rest of the series, that is sorely lacking and does not truly come into full force until episode 5 or 6.

The first episode does really hook you in though if you can get far enough in. it also does introduce all of the main characters (all 19 of them). it is really something to look at this series now to start reading the manga after I just finished reading the visual novels all the way through.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:

It follows veeerrrrrry closely for the first couple volumes (practically shot-for-shot) but then starts branching out, which other people have detailed above!

But I would also note that Sadamoto's sense of staging and dialogue is a little more... generic-animey?... than what you see in the tv series. Everyone acts a little more like anime characters, like when Asuka first shows up and goes around beating up thugs and generally being really hyper, or when Shinji gives speeches about how mad he is at his dad where in the anime he's written more like an inarticulate and awkward teen. It's NOT a bad thing (and a bunch of the people who posted above actually prefer it) but if you're all about the verisimilitude in the TV series then you might be kinda put off by the way Sadamoto writes the characters, at least at first.

Also, if you're totally new to the story, watch the anime first!! You don't wanna miss out on some killer voice acting, music and visuals!
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone that responded!
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
For Umineko it being wordy, the game is 100 times over more so. Much of what is said in the game is mostly talk, talk talk and talk. A lot of clues are revealed here and there. Yeah Maria is explained more later on so she isn't just creepy. The old horror mystery reliance is a big part too later on. As for Beatrice's past, that comes in Chiru so you are quite a ways away. I won't say more just wanted to point a couple things out.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
For Umineko it being wordy, the game is 100 times over more so. Much of what is said in the game is mostly talk, talk talk and talk. A lot of clues are revealed here and there. Yeah Maria is explained more later on so she isn't just creepy. The old horror mystery reliance is a big part too later on. As for Beatrice's past, that comes in Chiru so you are quite a ways away. I won't say more just wanted to point a couple things out.

Umineko is either mystery or fantasy it is not horror it has horror elements but you have call it a fantasy or a mystery one of the two, and nothing else. I can't wait for the magic to start in episode 2 now Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1