• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adult Beveridge

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I'll never have a mainframe. I like having shelves full of anime DVD's and BluRays. Heck, I still have all my anime Laserdiscs and VHS tapes. Having all your media on a mainframe computer might be appealing to some people, but I'd just find it sterile and boring.

I'm also glad that the bound paper copies of manga that I will continue buying until I die, Kindle/iPad be damned, have no insipid DRM restrictions on them. I can loan manga to anyone I want as many times as I want because it's a book. If I was someone who lends things to people. Which I am not, but not being able to lend digital copies of manga would bother me if I wasn't a total physical media luddite.

EDIT: Most expensive single anime purchase: still the first 26-episode Fushigi Yuugi collection, which cost me roughly $350 Canadian back when the exchange rate was in the toilet (though that includes the ridiculous Canada Post "handling" fee).

Recently, I bought the deluxe import BluRay of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which cost me roughly $150 Canadian.

I'd be willing to spend up to $250 on a subtitled BluRay box of Kamichu!, if Aniplex were to do the same thing as with Garden of Sinners.

Last edited by Tenchi on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
yeah, shows are in CR forever. They take down shows all the time.
Fairy Tail eps are only available for 3 weeks, then they are gone.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
People can still pay out the ass for Garden of Sinners BD set as it's still available from stores like Amazon.jp for ~$500 with shipping without the english booklet.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Like Tenchi I too spent a crapload of money on Fushigi Yugi, and honestly if I had a magical choice between buying those or Kara No Kyoukai I think I'd take the latter, less money per minute value or not Razz

For worst "special" edition DVD packaging, I'd have to say the Vogler Sphere thing for Giant Robo. The thing was made of the cheapest, most breakable plastic possible, and in order to store the DVDs in them you'd have to put them in jewel cases!! Granted, they provided the case-artwork, but it's still asking you to downgrade your packing no matter how you look at it. I'm glad that was never repeated
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
i got those Sailor Moon uncut boxsets of the S and SuperS seasons Geneon put out as birthday gift back when they weren't out of print, so they're pretty much my treasures. along with my falling apart manga volumes which also go for atleast 20 bucks a volume.
currently trying to recollect the movies, which I had for the longest time on Pioneer's sub-only VHS release. and the DVDs for those aren't really that expensive I've noticed (encase anyone out there wants a sailor moon fix for a more reasonable price.)

but aside from that, CPM's Utena boxsets, and a few assorted CCS volumes, all of my anime collection is pretty much worthless Anime hyper (and i'm sure once Nozomi puts out those Utena boxsets, there goes a chunk of that profitability too)

but I love owning and shopping for physical media too, I still cant completely comprehend why someone would give that up for a giant digital file of stuff (unless space was really that much of an issue) but whatever. more cheap DVDs for me Anime hyper
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
An interesting thing you mentioned where you pointed out that it could cause massive amounts of drama. You are kind of right because anime fans tend to have an irrational ego. Add in a sense of entitlement for people who think that making AMVs make them some creative genius and its even worse.

A lot of Code Geass AMVs? Is anyone ever going to show me why I should go to a convention?

Chris Beveridge is nothing short of amazing in terms of workhorse.

There are several series I would love to get but the cost is simply too much (Dunbine, SRW). I bought Cybuster a few months ago because once it's gone its gone, I would no longer be able to see it.

The company that bought a ton of popular fansubs and went nowhere was really Bandai ent. I mean just look at their catalogue it's mostly Sunrise, and Sunrise hasn't had a major hit in America since Cowboy Bebop. ADV's problem was that they licensed things no one even heard of, like that anime Gainax made based off their Princess Maker game series, or the vast majority of their mangas.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of the attitude that if I see something that I might possibly be interested in I get it right then. I have quite a few really "rare" dvds in my collection such as all of Maison Ikkoku including the absurdly rare box 8 which some idiot is trying to sell for about $2600 on amazon and about 2/3 of subbed Cardcaptor Sakura, Project A-Ko (the originial ova), Marmalade Boy, the originial CPM releases of Slayers, ann of Burnup, and quite a few other items. I checked amazon and the ADV releases of Sailor Moon seasons 1 & 2 subbed boxsets were going for $150 a set, Goku-Midnight Detective 1 & 2 are readily available and way less than $10 a disc. I'm also a digitial packrat and probally have at least 6 terrabytes of fansubs on various hard drives lingering around my condo. I don't really have any issues with stackpacks-it's just a little more effort to get individual discs out-and while we're on the subject of disc packaging I hate those "deathgrip" Scanavo cases-I've found that if you just cut 2 of the center prongs off the discs come out a lot easier and are just as secure.

Last edited by zrdb on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Only rare OoP stuff I own are the DVD's for Gunsmith Cats and End of Evangelion. My biggest regret of DVD's I never bought but should have at the time and are now hard to find are those Gundam IGLOO DVD's Bandai Visual USA put out. Not that I liked IGLOO all that much but I'm too much of a Gundam nerd that I still regret not owning them ><

EDIT: Should also say that I also regret not re-buying Perfect Blue when I had the chance as wile I own that film the DVD is scratched to shit and stutters in some places Sad

Tenchi wrote:
b]EDIT:[/b] Most expensive single anime purchase: still the first 26-episode Fushigi Yuugi collection, which cost me roughly $350 Canadian back when the exchange rate was in the toilet (though that includes the ridiculous Canada Post "handling" fee).

Man I remember those days, that's still the only show I ever bought bootleg DVD's of as I refused to pay the $200 per box they wanted for it. I remember paying $50 CDN a disk for shows like Bebop, The Big O, and Trigun but at least those shows were worth it.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, physical collecting discussion time! I have a pretty decent sized collection about 1750 shows, around 3000 discs, and there is absolutely no way I would ever consider slicing inserts or even converting everything to a huge mainframe. I guess I'm a weird guy at heart, I just love having a physical collection because it feels right, and it shows off how much this stuff actually means to me.

For my most expensive purchases? Would probably be a tie between getting all of the Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs. Probably went for around 200-300 per show. My most valuable purchases would definately be the complete Dunbine and Orguss collections with artboxes. I still need to finish off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars tho, they are the final volumes I need to utterly complete my anime collection as of right now.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I just don't see how you can make money on digital. I mean why would someone pay money for digital when they could get the same thing for free. Of course I also don't think we are going to be getting much in the way of anime in a couple of years.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I just don't see how you can make money on digital. I mean why would someone pay money for digital when they could get the same thing for free. Of course I also don't think we are going to be getting much in the way of anime in a couple of years.

people who want to get things for free will not buy dvd or blu-ray release anyway. I think new generations will want dlc instead of the physical copy.

Digital works very well with music, books, sooner or later dlc movies will take over too.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The thing I've bought the most number of times (excluding Star Wars), sad to say: Transformers: The Movie. Had the clamshell VHS, then the old DVD, and finally the 20th Anniversary.

The only true big collector's item I have is the Votoms tin, which I was lucky enough to find at a McKay's for $30. Surprised
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I know how you ANNCasters feel, which is why I generally only pick shows or movies I must own, with a few I buy on a whim, if discounted reasonably enough. That's why my salvaging UY before it's gone and/or scalped makes me nervous, 'cus what if Discotek, FUNi or Viz rescues the damn thing, and they stream it for free? Confused I like the show, and the liner notes add more value to it, but this is Takahashi we're talking about, and I could easily get bored with the damn thing soon enough. Hell, Maison Ikkoku was one of her better works, and the manga lost me when she started including redundant characters like Nikaido and Ibuki. But, this is UY via Oshii when he was still on the top of his game, and it's even better than the source material, so I'm hoping I'll love it 'til the end.

And then there are times where you watch a bad episode, and you possibly miss out on better stuff. Or you're told that it's not as great as everyone hypes it to be. For example, I started seeing KOR through the OVAs, and was underwhelmed by 'em, but I was informed that those were the weakest installments of the anime. But then some dude on IRC told me that he was pretty "meh" on the show in general, so I looked the other way, even when it was going OOP, because I thought the series was doing well enough that they'd rescue it, since that happened with Macross. And now I'm not even sure if Discotek will rescue KOR at this point. I am glad I looted the Patlabor stuff as well as Orguss and Cat's Eye Season 1 before they went OOP, though. But if I had known City Hunter was gonna be that much of a chore to find and get a good deal on, I might've considered snagging it, too. Other than that, no major regrets on missed purchases, just minor ones. [*cough* Baoh and Harlock Saga *cough*]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
yeah, shows are in CR forever. They take down shows all the time.
Fairy Tail eps are only available for 3 weeks, then they are gone.

Wow, and here I thought Crunchyroll kept all the shows forever and was the biggest and greatest site since Goggle was invented. Boy was I wrong.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I paid a subscription to Crunchyroll and one day I wanted to watch an some of the first episodes and they were gone, that would seriously irk me and make me want to cancel my subscription and see if I could get my money back.

Not knowing if the episode will still be there the next time I want to watch it or even the next day is not a mind game I would ever want to play. Normally I don't mind some guesswork generally, but if I paid quite a bit of money and the show I paid money for wasn't there, that would not be acceptable.

That is why I prefer to buy physical digital video disks as opposed to streaming them or buying the rights to watch the show through Itunes or something like Crunchyroll. There are several reasons for this.

To begin with, computers are excellent and yes, are a faster means to watch anime, but what would happen if Crunchyroll's website sever crashed and continued to malfunction for an extended time? Remember, although Crunchyroll is likely to be well staffed, they likely lack technology that eliminates for the most part (like what the FBI, CIA and Nasa use) and even though they have tons of people and are likely to be open all day long, problems can occur.

2. If you buy a subscription to watch videos legally from legit (or at least somewhat legit) companies, almost every video is subject to deletion either intentionally or unintentionally. Even if a company promises that video's will stay there forever, there is a tiny legal loop hole most (if not all companies these days) use. There is no 100% guarantee that the episode will never ever be deleted and it is actually physically impossible to make a promise like that anyway. Since the internet is vast and seemingly never ending, it is not that uncommon for files to simply disappear or be deleted.

Anyway, as for my recent physical digital video disks I have, I just bought a set of ten blu ray disk cases. Two disks fit into each plastic case and are for the most part, pretty durable. My reason for doing so was to add more space without buying any shelves and paying a ton of money. Even though I bought these at a cases at a physical store (Best Buy) these initially cost 8.99, but ended up being $10.00. While this ten pack actually hold 20 disks, $10 is a sizable amount because this probably cost half a nickel to produce in China, maybe even less and all they are standard plastic cases that have no additional features (UVA/UVB protection, shatter proof protection, anti-fading technology protection etc.)

I think have about five plus series; Chibi Vampire/Karin, Comic Party, Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Genshiken season one and two. However, long before Geneon went out of business, I bought the original Karin boxset and man, is that box set durable and cool looking.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I've been running in to trouble finding releases and items from Digimon. It was my childhood and I really enjoy collecting the toys and the dubbed episodes, primarily VHS. It turns out this feat is impossible. Even finding the DVD is impossible. I've found Digimon Adventure 02 for an extremely good price easily, but the first part of the show is non-existent. OF COURSE, you can find Data Squad...who would want to, though.

I'm not too interested in the technically advanced releases; I'm in love with VHS. I own every Ghibli movie before Spirited Away on VHS and always prefer it with pre-2000 shows. Plus...it tends to be cheaper with sentimental value added. I've got a soft heart for pre-owned that belonged to video rental stores.
With manga I always buy new, though. I'm not a big manga fan. I stick to new releases and few ones.

My most expensive purchase is rather embarrassing, though. I'm just going to keep it to myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4