• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Boyfriends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senpai27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Ugh, I understand how you feel! We watched the live-action ParaKiss film as part of a Valentine's Day event with our Japan Club, and I was horrified when the movie ended with spoiler[a tearful reunion in America]! Completely ruined the entire thing for me! And the person who chose that movie was saying how she "likes the manga too, but doesn't like that they don't end up together." I think the worst part was that this was my friend's first exposure to ParaKiss and, indeed, to anything Ai Yazawa, and she walked away thinking it was corny, meaningless fluff. Anime cry

Wait, are you sure it's not you guys aren't the one misunderstanding this? From what I get from both the anime and manga the relationship between Yukari and George are romantic, and viewed such in Japan. The anime emphasizes this more, with the ending seemed to indicate she never really get over George. And I hardly think their relationship that abusive compared in NANA.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
So happy Yano is on this list. If there was any male character to make me go full-on rage, it would be him. He's one of the reasons BokuGa is so damn good, though. That series is so realistic it hurts.

And seriously. DOMYOUJI WHERE?

He should replace Souichirou Arima. At least Arima grows out of himself by the end and is an actual believable and sympathetic character. This is making me remember how well-written the characters in the Kare Kano manga are.

Also: Mayama from Honey & Clover. Enough said.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You were doing fine until you said that Haruko is only 19 in human years. She may *appear* to be 19, but that's not her actual age. Heck, she treated Amarao the same way she treated Naota (at least to start with) when Amarao was Naota's age. It's really impossible to say how old she is, but she's definitely much older than 19.
Well that's as though she ages as a human would and Haruko is an alien. But all we're supposed to do, which is to compare her to 19 year old human girls and the way kids and adults see adolescence as a time of freedom which it really isn't (a very cynical anime is FLCL!).

And its obvious why Takkun is 12 and Haruko at least looks and claims to be a 19 year old, because it means Takkun is about to become a teenager and Haruko would, if her age were accurate, be about to leave her teenage years behind because 20 is the age of legal adulthood in Japan. Because she's at the opposite end of her years as a minor that when Haruko first appears, Takkun can't believe she's only 19 because she seems so much older (If she was meant to look older than 19 she would have been drawn to look older). And then by the end of the series he no longer sees himself as a kid, but as close enough to Haruko's age to go up and kiss her.

But Naota's maturity isn't only sexual awareness, he starts getting bullied by teenagers who don't see him as a little kid anymore. As the illusions of Naota's about the 'coolness' of adolescence are starting to wear off, Haruko leaves him at the end as she had done Amarao. Before that you actually see the look on Haruko's face when she finds out he's experiencing bullying as a teenager, because she knows the illusion - herself - won't last in Naota's mind. What was her self-description again? "I'm an illusion of your youth, a manifestation of the feelings in your adolescent heart". Such illusions always have to disappear when someone's confronted with reality but once someone's safely out of their teens they can start chasing the illusion of the freedom of youth again through rose tinted spectacles, or begin trying to protect kids from adolescence so they won't grow up as they have to.

Quote:
But yeah, she wasn't actually going after Naota's dad or Atomsk in terms of forming some sort of romantic relationship with them. And in Naota's case, I think it may be more accurate to say that she grew fond of him rather than she started to become seriously interested in him, and that was, I think, because Naota opened up to her throughout the series (which I think the size of his N.O. gate reflected); as far as I can tell, Amarao withdrew, and I wouldn't be surprised of his N.O. gate actually shrunk; Haruko said it wasn't very big to begin with, more or less.
Yea, its my thinking too.

And probably everyone's thoughts, it gets me there's been so much debate over FLCL when there's nothing, really, to discus. Even above, I felt compelled to analyse the series and, yet, everyone probably came to the same conclusion as I have

But really, there are really no hidden meanings in FLCL because the whole coming-of-age theme is so heavily anvilled throughout, yet everything's so cleverly presented so as to look as though it deserves analysing, by pushing people's buttons. When something staring people in the face is presented amid such confusion, people are much less confident that what's explicit before them is actually true, and that's pretty interesting in itself. People can't help but go into depth about the obvious as though it were hidden an even rewatch the show several times more than is probably the norm in case there's anything they've missed.
Cordwainer Smith would be impressed.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh, the prevalence of abusive relationships that are presented as 'it's okay because he has a ~tragic~ past!' in shoujo is one of the reasons I tend to be wary of picking up anything new aimed at the demographic.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Hmm, kind of sad to see that from Gurren Lagann (spoilers for entire series coming) spoiler[only Kamina made it into the top 10, and not Nia. Now, don't get me wrong, Kamina was awesome and fun, yes, but his death was also hugely important to the story and character development of Simon. If he didn't die, it wouldn't be the same show at all. I guess you could resurrect him at the very end, but it would seem kind of weird.]

spoiler[Nia's death on the other hand just seemed pointless. We get like two sentences to even explain why she died, and with it happening right at the end no real story or character development came from it. Also, Simon had been fighting the last dozen or so episodes not just to save earth, but also to save her, and for her to suddenly die at the end anyways felt off. I didn't fit the tone of the ending up to that point. Unlike Kamina, saving her wouldn't require anything drastic or change the series much, just a few minor alterations to the last few scenes in the last episode and things would be fixed.]

EDIT: Clarifying a minor point.

spoiler[I always thought that it wasn't really clear, but that Nia's death was meant to tie in with the 'evolution' theme; Simon had enough willpower (and therefore Spiral Energy) that he could've saved her, but refusing to let things change was exactly what the Anti-Spirals were doing. If he stopped one person from dying, other people with enough willpower to do so would have justification for saving their own loved ones from death, but a world in which no-one ever dies is counterproductive to evolution.

That said, I wish the whole plot point about her existence becoming dependent on the Anti-Spiral's had never been introduced. Sad ]
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
Akio is the worst and so is Takumi. I haven't gotten that far with Amnesia yet so I'll just completely forget what I've read about Toma.

rheiders wrote:
Ugh, I understand how you feel! We watched the live-action ParaKiss film as part of a Valentine's Day event with our Japan Club, and I was horrified when the movie ended with spoiler[a tearful reunion in America]! Completely ruined the entire thing for me! And the person who chose that movie was saying how she "likes the manga too, but doesn't like that they don't end up together." I think the worst part was that this was my friend's first exposure to ParaKiss and, indeed, to anything Ai Yazawa, and she walked away thinking it was corny, meaningless fluff. Anime cry

What? Why did they even change that for the movie? The anime ending was fine!
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Zac wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

As for the girlfriends of the boys in the original piece, they remind me of this quote.

"All evil requires the sanction of the victim" - Ayn Rand

Thanks for the weekly reminder of what a colossal myopic juvenile idiot Ayn Rand was. I needed that!

This. Can we NOT get into The Fountainhead and Rand's wonderful rendition of how women secretly want to be raped? Seriously insulting.

The characters in these stories may not be real, but they are the fictional victims of sexualized violence written for girls as role models for romantic relationships. With the exception of Utena and Nana, which actually portrays the relationships as dysfunctional, these are situations that are supposed to make female audiences hearts flutter.

I could get far more analytical about gender roles and patriarchy, but seriously, what you got from this is "victims want it" ?

About the bolded part... yep, based on the piece. That's what the piece came across as saying and the fact it was written by a woman (yourself?) only gave that impression more because females are more judgmental of other women's failings than are men. In particular the bit about Peach Girl obviously expresses the author's own moral judgement about someone not being an angel, and women with bad reputations really do end up with worthless men IRL because that's how it is.

You seem to be suggesting that the Japanese media is creating tropes to encourage behaviour in females, am I right?

If so I'd rather say that the media only reflects what the creators understand (or partly misunderstand) of other people's mating behaviours from what they see in real life - that many females do go and choose bad boys as partners despite the risks.

The first reason girls stick with genuinely abusive males in real life is usually a low sense of self-esteem, and a feeling that they themselves deserve no better. For these pairings the Ayn Rand quote is appropriate - they aren't abused children or animals in cages, their lifestyle choice has been not to say 'no'. But since these pairings are openly suboptimal for both partners, I doubt they inspire anyone to try and glorify them as desirable couples or anything.

The girls who are actually attracted to abusive boys don't see themselves as undesirable females and this relates the other reason I can think of, namely its a response to the 'herbivore male' phenomenon in Japan (and in the west). Women are naturally attracted both to men who can protect their mates and also to those who can provide stability for them, although protectors are much sexier - girls don't go squee for anime boys who start their own businesses, because that's boring. But increasingly, in modern societies, men decreasingly fill either of the roles where unemployment ensures males aren't able to provide economically.

In real life most women would choose caring, macho heroes as mates if they could, men like sexy firemen who take cats down from trees and risk their lives going into burning buildings to protect children - things like that. This is why so many girls love boys like Allen Walker who have the same 'alpha' manly attitude that makes bad boys sexy (bad boys aren't sexy because they're bad). But in real life there are too few males like that to go round so most females seeking a mate will have to make a trade off between manly but uncaring males and caring but boring fathers, that's unless they want to stay single with their crushes on fictional characters. And this necessary trade off is why boys like Sasuke Uchiha are also popular with female fans, because they wish that they alone could turn a bad boy into their own devoted knight.

With widespread male unemployment there aren't even enough 'beta' providers around to be second choice mates once the best men are taken, and the best males got the first choice of the best females. For the remaining females there seems to be a choice of either jerks or hikikomori and herbivores. (Incidentally, if any unemployed male wants to appear sexier, he should take up martial arts or something that will make him look like a protector.)

Since the abusive male is simply the extreme of the bad boy, some girls understandably have an attraction to outright jerks because despite all evidence they think their best chance seems to taming one into their own shounen manga hero or firemen.

So I only see the media as reflecting misguided female fantasies and not creating them. With less and less sexy males with desirable personalities available, many women will go for jerks and, despite all of the evidence, they'll feel the hope of a successful relationship lies in their own special ability to tame any man they want.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
So I only see the media as reflecting misguided female fantasies and not creating them.

You're aware shoujo is written primarily for children, right? You don't think that, perhaps, the material we read as children might, I don't know, help shape how we end up viewing the world as adults?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Zac wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

As for the girlfriends of the boys in the original piece, they remind me of this quote.

"All evil requires the sanction of the victim" - Ayn Rand

Thanks for the weekly reminder of what a colossal myopic juvenile idiot Ayn Rand was. I needed that!

This. Can we NOT get into The Fountainhead and Rand's wonderful rendition of how women secretly want to be raped? Seriously insulting.

The characters in these stories may not be real, but they are the fictional victims of sexualized violence written for girls as role models for romantic relationships. With the exception of Utena and Nana, which actually portrays the relationships as dysfunctional, these are situations that are supposed to make female audiences hearts flutter.

I could get far more analytical about gender roles and patriarchy, but seriously, what you got from this is "victims want it" ?

About the bolded part... yep, based on the piece. That's what the piece came across as saying and the fact it was written by a woman (yourself?) only gave that impression more because females are more judgmental of other women's failings than are men.

Sorry, but no. The only judgment made against any of the protagonists in this piece, explicitly written, is Amnesia, and that's because the writers of the anime failed to make a character even remotely realistic. If the male counterpart to Amnesia-type series is the indecisive harem lead, the series turns that up to 11 with a main character that lacks any kind of personality, definition, wants, or desires. As for the other series, there is no language indicating my thought that the characters got into the relationships because there's something wrong with them or because they were asking for it, nor do I believe that self-esteem issues is justification for poor treatment. If anything, it's the male counterpart's fault for taking advantage of someone who is emotionally damaged.

Quote:
In particular the bit about Peach Girl obviously expresses the author's own moral judgement about someone not being an angel, and women with bad reputations really do end up with worthless men IRL because that's how it is.

That entry does nothing except acknowledge that Sae does some crappy things in the show. In one sentence. She in no way deserves the spoiler[pregnancy] issues that arise because of Ryo. The entry does not express any kind of my own "moral judgment" on the issue.

Quote:
You seem to be suggesting that the Japanese media is creating tropes to encourage behaviour in females, am I right?

If so I'd rather say that the media only reflects what the creators understand (or partly misunderstand) of other people's mating behaviours from what they see in real life - that many females do go and choose bad boys as partners despite the risks.

I'm suggesting that all media does this, not simply Japanese media, but that's the focus of this site. It's a cycle. Most of the shojo manga I read, I read as a young teen. You know, the formative years for romantic experimentation. These tropes continue to reinforce the idea that poisonous relationships just mean he "loves you so much it hurts." Look at Edward's behavior in Twilight. Or don't. It's a horrible set of novels.

Quote:
The first reason girls stick with genuinely abusive males in real life is usually a low sense of self-esteem, and a feeling that they themselves deserve no better. For these pairings the Ayn Rand quote is appropriate - they aren't abused children or animals in cages, their lifestyle choice has been not to say 'no'. But since these pairings are openly suboptimal for both partners, I doubt they inspire anyone to try and glorify them as desirable couples or anything.

Low-self esteem and bad decision-making paired with it isn't a "lifestyle choice." It's learned behavior. And yes, sometimes they are abused children. Low self-esteem doesn't just magic itself out of nowhere.

Quote:
Women are naturally attracted both to men who can protect their mates and also to those who can provide stability for them, although protectors are much sexier - girls don't go squee for anime boys who start their own businesses, because that's boring. But increasingly, in modern societies, men decreasingly fill either of the roles where unemployment ensures males aren't able to provide economically.

Do you have some kind of link for this, or is this over generalization simply anecdotal? I'm familiar with herbivore men, but not so much to the pseudo-science claim that women are "naturally attracted" to stereotypically masculine males.

Quote:
In real life most women would choose caring, macho heroes as mates if they could, men like sexy firemen who take cats down from trees and risk their lives going into burning buildings to protect children - things like that. This is why so many girls love boys like Allen Walker who have the same 'alpha' manly attitude that makes bad boys sexy (bad boys aren't sexy because they're bad). But in real life there are too few males like that to go round so most females seeking a mate will have to make a trade off between manly but uncaring males and caring but boring fathers, that's unless they want to stay single with their crushes on fictional characters. And this necessary trade off is why boys like Sasuke Uchiha are also popular with female fans, because they wish that they alone could turn a bad boy into their own devoted knight.

Actually, in "real life" most women would choose all kinds of different males, because we're all different people. In my varied history I've dated a wide variety of people and there isn't something exactly the same about any of them.

Quote:
With widespread male unemployment there aren't even enough 'beta' providers around to be second choice mates once the best men are taken, and the best males got the first choice of the best females. For the remaining females there seems to be a choice of either jerks or hikikomori and herbivores. (Incidentally, if any unemployed male wants to appear sexier, he should take up martial arts or something that will make him look like a protector.)

Since the abusive male is simply the extreme of the bad boy, some girls understandably have an attraction to outright jerks because despite all evidence they think their best chance seems to taming one into their own shounen manga hero or firemen.

So I only see the media as reflecting misguided female fantasies and not creating them. With less and less sexy males with desirable personalities available, many women will go for jerks and, despite all of the evidence, they'll feel the hope of a successful relationship lies in their own special ability to tame any man they want.

Yeah, and this more general stereotypes about what women want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Yeah, and this more general stereotypes about what women want.
Well to be fair us men know no other benchmarks to use to make judgements of just what women really want in or from us as in just my experience alone when I asked that question to a woman I never get the same answer twice from the same woman. I've heard other men say a similar thing as well so it's not just me. Still having said all that there is in no way any excuse for a male to take his agression out on his female partner, just because he himself had a bad childhood, or was abused, or watched as his mother, or sisters were abused by his abusive father. No way, no how, no excuse. To want to emulate an abusive father, or partner is a clear sign that he himself is the sick one, not the partner. Wink
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
I also would've thrown Ryo from Hot Gimmick in there. He is also a creepy abusive boyfriend! Prevent your girlfriend from having friends or family, berate her at every turn, give her an ultimatum concerning sex, physically abuse her... yep, he's sure a dream guy Rolling Eyes
Or that other guy who sends all his friends to gang-rape her at the beginning. What a wonderfully romantic love-triangle! Rolling Eyes
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Despite my love for the series, the more I'm reading Itazura na Kiss, the more Naoki bothers me. The series treats Kotoko and Naoki's romance as though she doesn't deserve him because he's such a genius, when in reality, it's Naoki who doesn't deserve Kotoko. He never puts her first or takes her values into consideration, and yet she's unwaveringly loyal to him for no real reason. I was never able to understand why all the women in the series are jealous of Kotoko for being with someone as cold as Naoki. I still love the series, though.

And I'm glad Tsukasa Domyoji from Hana Yori Dango didn't make this list. He starts off as a jerk, but he changes into a better person which makes it easier to root for him and Tsukushi as a couple - and it's obvious he actually loves her. Naoki barely changes, and NANA's Takumi, while I find his character fascinating, is supposed to be a horrible husband. NANA doesn't romanticize dysfunctional relationships, and it's quite clear that Hachi has become stronger from being with Takumi, despite the fact that it may seem like he has all of the power in their relationship.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
la_contessa wrote:

Oh, I agree--Paradise Kiss is too perfect of a story about an emotionally abusive relationship not to be intended as such. We aren't intended to like him, we're supposed to see the dysfunction and how Yukari grew through and past it (to a point). But I am always horrified at how many people miss that. I know girls who think George is somehow romantic, and I cannot fathom why. It's not SAD that spoiler[George left Japan and she stayed behind], it's good! Not every spoiler[failed relationship] is tragic, you know?

Oooooooh yeah, experienced that firsthand when I watched the series and was really worried about where it was going until, well, it ended up where it did and nestled deeply in my heart as one of my favorite anime series. I was sooooo happy with how Yukari was characterized, how she overcame her relationship with George, learned from it, became a better person, but still found the strength not to be resentful of him and take responsibility for her own life, which was the most valuable thing he taught her, awful boyfriend in other regards or no.

AND THEN. I watched it with some high school buddies of mine and a few (though to be fair, not all,) were really upset that at the end Yukari and George didn't end up together. *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* Kinda depressing, honestly. I'm just going to log that away in my brain as them not being perceptive/thoughtful media consumers and hope it doesn't mean that's how they see real relationships. Anime dazed There's romanticism and then there's...idolizing and pursuing horrible jerk-men. D:

I'm with you, but I've seen worse. I have a friend that marathoned Amnesia with me and thought Toma was "sweet, misunderstood, and dreamy. After all, he's just trying to look out for her!!!" She also really has a thing for -get this- Touya from Utena! Shocked She can like what she wants, but it worries me sometimes....
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
I also would've thrown Ryo from Hot Gimmick in there. He is also a creepy abusive boyfriend! Prevent your girlfriend from having friends or family, berate her at every turn, give her an ultimatum concerning sex, physically abuse her... yep, he's sure a dream guy Rolling Eyes
Or that other guy who sends all his friends to gang-rape her at the beginning. What a wonderfully romantic love-triangle! Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah! I forgot about -what's his name- Azuma? Whomever shall she choose??? Rolling Eyes Seriously, Shinobu was the only half-way decent guy in her dating pool, and he had some serious issues. I just can't get over how much that series tries to pass off abuse and dysfunction as "romance." Seriously sickening tripe (to me). If I didn't know people that have a victim mentality like Hatsumi, perhaps it wouldn't bother me as much. Then again, the fact that it *is* supposed to be a kind of self-insert wish fulfillment story throws that out the window.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Utena had a pretty incredible collection of terrible and potentially terrible boyfriends. But a nice thing about the series was that by the finale the majority of them (sans Akio of course) had enough character development to become much better guys than they were at the start of the series.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
cl-shojo wrote:

And I'm glad Tsukasa Domyoji from Hana Yori Dango didn't make this list. He starts off as a jerk, but he changes into a better person which makes it easier to root for him and Tsukushi as a couple - and it's obvious he actually loves her.

I don't know if I'd really agree that Domyoji becomes a better person. He merely appears to be a better person, because he knows that that's what Tsukushi wants him to be. Not to mention that if he's getting his way, there's no reason for him to be a bully. But I always got the feeling from him that if she ever rejected him, or did something to displease him, or if he ever decides that he's bored of her, he will go right back to being the violent, spoiled aggressor that he was in the beginning of the series. Don't forget that near the end of the series, he outright hits her, and this is after he was supposed to have 'changed'. The ending of that anime really, really bothered me. His personality change in the drama seemed to be a lot more sincere than it was in the anime.
As for Peach Girl, I wish she had just ended up single. She gets to have the choice of one guy who was quite fine with leaving her hanging while he chased after another woman, or a guy who kept allowing a manipulative person in his life while lying to his girlfriend about what was really happening. I'm glad at least Sae realized what a piece of trash Ryo was. For all the awful things she did in the beginning, Sae turned out to be my favourite character in that manga.
Ryo and Azusa from Hot Gimmick definitely needed to be on this list too. Poor Hatsumi gets to her pick of the guy who exhibits all the classic warning signs of a future abuser(keeping her from friends and family, overly controlling, belittling, no respect for her personal space and body), or an attempted gang rapist. Or the person she has always thought of as spoiler[her brother]. Lucky girl.
Could someone tell me what Arima from Kare Kano did that was so awful? I remembered him treating Yukino really well, but it's been a long time since I've watched the anime, and I haven't gotten around to buying the manga yet.

I also love the explanations above about how all women want 'Alpha males' with the insinuation that we're too dumb to pick anything better. I smell a "nice guy". Please, nice guy, tell us more about what all women want, because us women folk don't know what we like unless someone tells us.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7