• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Boyfriends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

Kare Kano stuff...

It's been about 3-4 years since I read it but I don't really remember that happening... As far as I rememberspoiler[ he did sort of suddenly 'go for it' so to speak which caught Yukino by surprise, but I didn't see it as rape.] I found this post on another forum whilst trying to freshen my memory and this makes more sense to me(taking away the spelling errors anyway...): spoiler["They have angsty, unplanned, unprotected sex in the library-- but it's not rape. She makes it clear the later than he did not rape her, and she didn't try to stop him."]

But as I said it's been a while and I no longer own it so I can't re-read it to refresh my memory... So I might be wrong. Question

Edit: Ok, since I was ultra curious again I've managed to read the chapters again and spoiler[the day after it happens Yukino exclaims "What do you think happened yesterday? I never once told you 'no' yesterday!". So it's a bit of a complicated one, in that since we know how Yukino felt about it, what did Arima think about it while it was happening?] Thats the question here.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Suddenly, I no longer regret never buying and reading Kare Kano.

Wow. I always wondered if I should go back and read this, and that's going to be a big NO. No regrets any more!

Kare Kano is a classic for a reason. It's amazingly well-written with very real characters that can still be highly entertaining. Tsuda's artwork sucks but that's not why you read KK. It's not the best romance manga out there but it's amazing in scope and is a very real portrayal of growing up in modern society. Everyone who enjoys shoujo or just slice of life in general should read it.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Everyone who enjoys shoujo or just slice of life in general should read it.

KareKano was one of the first manga I bought. Initially, I enjoyed it but I ended up dropping it shortly after spoiler[ they started dating] just out of general boredom. Honestly, I'm glad now I never finished it. I do not read manga where that.. is present. I feel a title is just not worth salvaging if it cross that line.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
I don't remember the spoiler in Kare Kano but I do remember Arima being an insufferable character.

Although I loved Yukino, I would definitely not recommend the manga. You saw most of the best moments in the anime which focused on her. The second half of the manga focuses on Arima and it was just a bore reading through all his angsty problems.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Regarding Kare Kano, didn't the anime spare us of all the really awful Arima stuff that totally contradicted the point of his character arc in the early chapters? (That is, when he's first introduced, his whole thing is learning that just because his parents were rotten eggs doesn't mean that HE is naturally a bad guy and that he can forge his own path... but then it turns out that he is and he can't hmmm ok) I may be misremembering, but I thought that the anime kind of shut down before the point where his ~dark side oooh~ starts kicking in.

Which is why when people tell me they wish Gainax had made a Kare Kano sequel and finished the story I'm like "noooo... no you don't..."
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'd be happy if they animated the rest of Kare Kano, sure the tonal shift will throw a few people off but I still enjoyed reading the conclusion to the story. In fact it's the only anime I've bothered to do that with.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm sure folks mentioned Makoto from School Days. He had to be the worst.

So does Ikari Kendou count as the worse boyfriend. Well, it wasn't like he and Ritsuko were married. Not to mention the whole mother daughter thing. But that might almost be up an entirely different avenue.

But hey if Akio gets to be worse boyfriend what about the other guys? All that pimp slapping makes you wonder.

I can't think of too many bad boyfriends that are just intense. Oh wait what about that guy from Baccano, he was insane. Bad temper and ready to shoot your head off but would hold back. Makes you wonder if he ever will. If he did he'd probably kill himself for doing so.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But it's more of Hachi having to face it while Takumi is just living in blissful ignorance.

I think it is not that Takumi is living in blissful ignorance, but rahter that he will never change for Hachi. I can imagine him changing only for Reira. (And this probably, I assume, would involve years of psychotherapy) He cares about Reira, she is the only person who he pays attention to. She is an important person for him. Hachi, let’s be honest, is no one for Takumi. A girl he married out of convenience, because she is this type of person who strives to make a happy family, even if what she creates is just a veneer of happy family, which nevertheless is very comfortable to Takumi, who never had that much. Hachi may beg him to change till she is blue in the face, but fortunately it is pretty clear she isn’t delusional and realizes that it is impossible for her to have a lasting positive influence on Takumi.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I just read the list and I wonder why any girl would want to be around those jerks. There are far better guys for girls to date than those sleazeballs. If those guys gave any girl I knew a heart-shaped box of chocolates,I'd be very careful. There might be some bad chocolates there or they'd put in a snake just for laughs. I wouldn't put it past any of those guys.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
About the Kare Kano thing, I've seen it tossed around as being considered rape in some circles, and consensual in others. While she did not refuse him and accepted him and let him have his way and all that, it still was an aggressive act out of anger, and just because she went along with it doesn't mean it was right for him to do. Don't get me wrong I really like Kare Kano. One of my first manga, and I really love the side characters, and the general story. I just can't accept that one scene as a consensual act on the basis that Yukino was emotionally vulnerable, and it was not with her vocal consent. Perhaps I'm being anal about it (no pun intended), but while it's not rape per se, it's still not right.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I keep reading the title of this article as "8 Hatoful Boyfriends", which would've been a lot less disturbing to read.

It's been years since I read Kare Kano. Didn't remember that scene at all until now, but...yikes.

Another lovely gent for your consideration: Kyo Usui from Black Bird. Made me want to throw the book across the room.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This is a good list, but it clearly suffers from being anime-centered. There are far worse boyfriends in shojo manga (including Ryoki from Hot Gimmick, who has been mentioned several times) than in anime. And while I do understand why people have problems with Hana Yori Dango's Tsukasa Domyoji, I've found that most of the people who do haven't read the manga in it's completion and are going off of just the anime or the first few volumes of manga, which don't show the full evolution of his character or their relationship. For those who fear Tsukasa would return to being violent, there's a scene in volume 23 where it's clear he'd never hit her again. And the main reason I can root for them but can't root for many other pairings with guys who start off as jerks is because Tsukushi is tough enough to be his equal and doesn't take his crap, unlike Hot Gimmick's Hatsumi or Black Bird's Misao. But, I've written about Hanadan enough already: http://shojocorner.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/why-i-love-tsukushi-and-tsukasa/
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Holy... it seems like I need to reread Karekano and rewatch Hana Yori Dango (I only watched the drama). I don't remember any of those things happening at all and have generally good memories of both of them (then again, they were my first shojos, and that was years ago)
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Yeah, and this more general stereotypes about what women want.
Well to be fair us men know no other benchmarks to use to make judgements of just what women really want in or from us as in just my experience alone when I asked that question to a woman I never get the same answer twice from the same woman. I've heard other men say a similar thing as well so it's not just me.

So you've been going around asking individuals to make assumptions for what half of the population, or roughly 3 billion people, want in a relationship and they've all given you different answers? And those answers have changed with time and circumstance? Shocker! We're g-d people, not some sort of female mass of LCL that wants one specific dude above all dudes forever and ever, amen.

Zac wrote:
Faintsmile, you need to stop with the 'women are too stupid and controlled by hormones to make decisions in their own self-interest' thing right now. I know you don't even realize that that's how you're coming across, but it's grotesque behavior that insults many and makes you sound like kind of a sociopath.

Let the matter rest.

Preach. I came here to be made fun of for my taste in anime, not my being a lady.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Compared to so many of the other terrible excuses for males in manga, Arima is not that bad. At all. WTF.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7