• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Boyfriends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Compared to so many of the other terrible excuses for males in manga, Arima is not that bad. At all. WTF.

Exactly. I thought the whole point of Kare Kano was everyone had character flaws, and the Dr. Jekyll thing is kind of cruel since Yukino has the same sort of mask going on, which is why they both worked so well for each other, and even the reason I believe they began their relationship. I've read the manga, and yeah it was questionable what happened with that manga-only library scene, but all in all I thought Yukino and Arima in the anime were great together. I never thought of him as a bad guy, let alone anywhere on the same level as the other guys on the list. There's much worse in anime.

Kare Kano - the anime that has been giving me warm fuzzies since 2004
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Quote:
But it's more of Hachi having to face it while Takumi is just living in blissful ignorance.

I think it is not that Takumi is living in blissful ignorance, but rahter that he will never change for Hachi. I can imagine him changing only for Reira. (And this probably, I assume, would involve years of psychotherapy) He cares about Reira, she is the only person who he pays attention to. She is an important person for him. Hachi, let’s be honest, is no one for Takumi. A girl he married out of convenience, because she is this type of person who strives to make a happy family, even if what she creates is just a veneer of happy family, which nevertheless is very comfortable to Takumi, who never had that much. Hachi may beg him to change till she is blue in the face, but fortunately it is pretty clear she isn’t delusional and realizes that it is impossible for her to have a lasting positive influence on Takumi.

I don't think Hachi and Takumi's relationship is as simple as that. To dismiss her as a nobody to Takumi takes away from the complexity of his character. Takumi isn't the type of person to commit seriously to someone without reason. If he didn't care about Hachi, he could have easily thrown child support at her and walked away. Instead he made a commitment to spend the rest of his life with her; to raise a family together with her. Family isn't something Takumi takes lightly.

He may care for Reira, but he also cares for Hachi. In romance and shoujo-land, we're programmed to believe that there's room in a person's heart to love one person and one person alone. Let's be realistic, life isn't like that nor are relationships so simple. We can love and care for more than one person in a lifetime at the same time. If anything, NANA has been the greatest example of that.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Compared to so many of the other terrible excuses for males in manga, Arima is not that bad. At all. WTF.

He was the one of the worst I read. But then I am not a fan of overly possessive male characters.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

He was the one of the worst I read. But then I am not a fan of overly possessive male characters.

...I don't think you understand Arima's character at all.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Let the matter rest.
Yea sure, I'll stick to the UK section from now on. Wink

It was not meant to offend anyone and it was bizarre that it did, that is all.

Last edited by faintsmile1992 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
But he's such a nice guy! Instead of realizing that and dating him, we women just let our ovaries run the show and end up getting involved with selfish jerks who don't tell us how we're all hormonally crazed robots. C'mon, Zac, it's science!
If I'm also to be forgiven a parting shot like that snark above, I'm actually female and your own assumption about anyone saying something you disagree with tells a lot about your own way of thinking.

Yea its science. Wink
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
If this was a manga list I would just take all of Maju Shinjo characters and call it a day, what an horrible collection of fictional characteristics they are... but considering... the anime will do for this case. I agree completely.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I am sorry but I did understand his character. Just because someone dislikes something doesn't mean they don't understand.

I don't care about Arima worrying about becoming like his biological parents or losing Yukino and I don't care about his "dark side".

Love the manga all you want but in my opinion Arima's character arc brought the story down. The only reason I kept reading was for Yukino.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
PansyWansyLinsy wrote:
I don't think Hachi and Takumi's relationship is as simple as that. To dismiss her as a nobody to Takumi takes away from the complexity of his character. Takumi isn't the type of person to commit seriously to someone without reason.

Yes, he had a reason. After reading about his past it’s clear why he married her. He likes this pretence of a happy family that Hachi strives to make, but it doesn’t mean he is in love with her. And it was not enough to keep him. Something that the flashbacks from the future make completely clear, as spoiler[Takumi is not even living with Hachi, but in England (it just happens that Reira is in England too.) and Hachi’s friends try to convince her to divorce him.]
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I am sorry but I did understand his character. Just because someone dislikes something doesn't mean they don't understand.

I don't care about Arima worrying about becoming like his biological parents or losing Yukino and I don't care about his "dark side".

Love the manga all you want but in my opinion Arima's character arc brought the story down. The only reason I kept reading was for Yukino.

Putting words in people's mouths never helps.

Also, why do you like Yukino so much? She had a trillion issues of her own and was a pretty horrible human being before she realized how much of an ass she was. Kare Kano is about characters who have deep mental trauma and issues and how they progress through the help of someone else to fix them. Both Souichirou and Yukino accomplish this. The interesting part is how they both handle thmselves in their own minds and in front of each other. It's why it's called "His and Her Circumstances".

Anyway, yes, it's fine for you not to like a character but you should generally have reasons to support why or why not.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
PansyWansyLinsy wrote:
I don't think Hachi and Takumi's relationship is as simple as that. To dismiss her as a nobody to Takumi takes away from the complexity of his character. Takumi isn't the type of person to commit seriously to someone without reason.

Yes, he had a reason. After reading about his past it’s clear why he married her. He likes this pretence of a happy family that Hachi strives to make, but it doesn’t mean he is in love with her. And it was not enough to keep him. Something that the flashbacks from the future make completely clear, as spoiler[Takumi is not even living with Hachi, but in England (it just happens that Reira is in England too.) and Hachi’s friends try to convince her to divorce him.]

While I'm sad Hachi is staying faithfully put in Japan doing.. whatever the hell she is doing in the future flashbacks (I guess raise her kid as a well paid housewife?), I'm kind of glad she is handling that leash on Takumi as punishment for everything he has done to her. spoiler[you had a love child with Reira? Then good, I'm gonna make sure you can't divorce me no matter what you try to do bwahahahahaha!]

On the other hand, will Hachi have an affair with Nobu someday? The finale episode of the anime shows her spoiler[porting two wedding rings, one of them from Takumi and possibly one given to her by Nobu.] Maybe Hachi did mature a little bit in the 7 year span. All in all I can't feel sorry for her as she dug her grave with poor life decisions, at least it seems like she started to accept her bad choices in the end.

---

I would like to make another entry to horrible boyfriend in anime, the guy Niell from Candy Candy. He tried to date Candy (like.. after kidnapping her?). He was always horribly abusive to her as a child and now that she has grown up and is attracting attention from the social sphere, now he's suddenly into her? Oh wait, did he just slap her in the face there? Yeaaaah, what a tool.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko, please observe ANN's policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7