• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching anime on Bluray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you watch anime on Bluray?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 87 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 126

heuno3030

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
You kids and your confounded gizmos! Pump up the old Video-Electro-Record-Player, Agnes! It's a VHS night.

That's right, I'm poor
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
heuno3030 wrote:
You kids and your confounded gizmos! Pump up the old Video-Electro-Record-Player, Agnes! It's a VHS night.

That's right, I'm poor
I lol'd. It's alright, gramps--we still love ya. Laughing
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
heuno3030 wrote:

That's right, I'm poor
I lol'd. It's alright, gramps--we still love ya. Laughing

Holy nostalgia, batman. Anime hyper

God, I remember watching some really old anime on Beta tapes. Now that was something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Interesting results so far. I knew a lot of people watched blurays but I didn't think the margin was this large, granted it is a small sample size.

As for me pretty much all of my new purchases are Blurays unless it's an older series. Has anyone ever seen a deluxe or premium packaging for a bluray besides the Garden of Sinners collection? Seems like usually the bluray cases are pretty simple and slimmed down already, perhaps that's to reduce the price for us?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The margin may not be that large. In addition to being small the sample is self selected. It is possible that many of those who have not yet switched to Bluray don't feel the need to vote.

Unlike some format changes, records to CDs and VHS to DVD, there is not as much passion either pro or con. This is possibly due to Bluray not currently being a threat to continued DVD production. Also since a Bluray player is backwards compatible no one is looking at the necessity of replacing all prior purchases.

Most of those who do not watch Bluray have commented that they cannot afford to or do not wish to spend the money. Especially since most need to upgrade the TV set as well as the player to get a benefit out of Bluray.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Posing the question as a simple dichotomy makes it difficult to answer. Do I own anime Blu-rays? Yes, but only a couple like Summer Wars. Would I buy more anime on Blu-ray? Yes, if we're talking about series released in the past two or three years and mastered at 720p or better. No, if we're talking about some re-release or, worse, an upscale of a decade-old show mastered at 480p. I'd buy Madoka Magica on Blu-ray, but not something like Chobits.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Posing the question as a simple dichotomy makes it difficult to answer. Do I own anime Blu-rays? Yes, but only a couple like Summer Wars. Would I buy more anime on Blu-ray? Yes, if we're talking about series released in the past two or three years and mastered at 720p or better. No, if we're talking about some re-release or, worse, an upscale of a decade-old show mastered at 480p. I'd buy Madoka Magica on Blu-ray, but not something like Chobits.

I totally agree! Some Blu-ray . . . okay. Is it mandatory no way! I think I only have 4 Blu-ray discs and god knows how many regular DVDs.

Oh and @ heuno3030 - hey I ain't that old and I have VHS tapes too. (Sadly the VCR is broke however.)
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Yes I do watch on Blu-Ray. I currently have 3 anime series in that format, Rin Daughter Of Mnemosyne/Chobits/Heroic Age..
Ninjazombie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I am starting to get blue ray anime. I have both mostly dvds though.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't own any Bluray anime, all DVDs. It's been mentioned earlier, but it's just not worth it yet. It'll be quite awhile before Bluray overtakes DVDs if ever. I have a feeling that as soon as Bluray starts to gather a majority we'll have a new player come to the market Anime hyper.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I don't own any Bluray anime, all DVDs. It's been mentioned earlier, but it's just not worth it yet. It'll be quite awhile before Bluray overtakes DVDs if ever. I have a feeling that as soon as Bluray starts to gather a majority we'll have a new player come to the market Anime hyper.
Trust me. When it's done right, it's definitely worth it. Wink

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Trust me, brother. When it's done right, it's definitely worth it. Wink
Hm, really? From what I've heard it really makes a difference with newer series but not with old ones. Maybe I will buy some anime on Bluray.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Hm, really? From what I've heard it really makes a difference with newer series but not with old ones. Maybe I will buy some anime on Bluray.
In some cases that's true, but when it comes down to it, it all depends on how much work they put into making the blu-ray. For example, a blu-ray like Samurai Champloo(the original blu-ray, at least), a series that's not too old, is panned by most because it isn't very well done. The blu-ray for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, though--a movie made in 1984--is absolutely gorgeous solely for the fact that Ghibli knew what they were doing when they created it.

You can go over to the Retail forum and ask around on what blu-rays look good and which ones don't before you decide to take the plunge on any of them. Surprised
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
In some cases that's true, but when it comes down to it, it all depends on how much work they put into making the blu-ray. For example, a blu-ray like Samurai Champloo(the original blu-ray, at least), a series that's not too old, is panned by most because it isn't very well done. The blu-ray for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, though--a movie made in 1984--is absolutely gorgeous solely for the fact that Ghibli knew what they were doing when they created it.

You can go over to the Retail forum and ask around on what blu-rays look good and which ones don't before you decide to take the plunge on any of them. Surprised

While they don't have a lot of anime BD reviews on their site, I would also check out Blu-ray.com. They talk about image quality of the BD's so you can get an idea of what it might look like quality wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
No, you should follow the BD feeds on Fandompost. Those guys know exactly what they're talking about and even have shot comparisons most of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3