• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching anime on Bluray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you watch anime on Bluray?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 87 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 126

Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks guys! This is great info, didn't realize Bluray could make such a difference!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
No, you should follow the BD feeds on Fandompost. Those guys know exactly what they're talking about and even have shot comparisons most of the time.

Ehhh don't listen to the guys on there. As far as videophiles go, they take it wayy to far. Just do this: check screenshots at review sites. If it looks good to you then go for it, if it doesn't, well then you know not to. Don't listen to those spoiled brats. They will turn you into a snob yourself.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
For example, a blu-ray like Samurai Champloo(the original blu-ray, at least), a series that's not too old, is panned by most because it isn't very well done. The blu-ray for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, though--a movie made in 1984--is absolutely gorgeous solely for the fact that Ghibli knew what they were doing when they created it.

No, it's gorgeous because they started with a film master which has a higher native resolution than 1080p. Re-releasing a show made for standard definition television in Blu-ray makes a lot less sense. Upscaling cannot create resolution that didn't exist beforehand.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
No, it's gorgeous because they started with a film master which has a higher native resolution than 1080p. Re-releasing a show made for standard definition television in Blu-ray makes a lot less sense. Upscaling cannot create resolution that didn't exist beforehand.
Yeah, yeah, sure--that too. Laughing

But, of course, that's not to say that there aren't upscales out there that don't look good. Baccano!'s blu-ray was a well-done upscale, and it looks great.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
For me, since I have owned an HDTV (54" 1080p Plasma) since late 2009, when it was time for me to replace my DVD player buying a Bu-ray player was a no-brainer. Although the improvement in picture quality is not as impressive as the difference between VHS and DVD it's still quite noticeable, especially with newer theatrical releases. I know most anime that is HD isn't being animated at 1080p but there is still an improvement. I did an A-B test with Blood: The Last Vampire. I have an old, non-upscaling DVD player hooked up to my TV so I put the DVD in that and the Blu-ray in the Blu-ray player. I paused on the same scene in each and used the TV remote to switch inputs to compare them. Although the difference was not that great the Blu-ray picture was noticeably sharper and the color was more vivid. (This is in contrast to a comparison of the BD and DVD for Avatar where the BD made the DVD look like utter crap.)

Of course, any Blu-ray player will also play DVDs and will upscale them to look a bit better.

My policy on anime is:
If it is from an HD source I will buy on Blu-ray if not prohibitably expensive.
If it is from an SD source I will buy the Blu-ray if the price is not significantly higher.
If I already own the DVD I will only double=dip if it's HD and the price is right, and then only rarely.

With very few exceptions, I only buy R1 releases as there is no way I can afford to import from Japan.

So, my poll answer is yes.[/b]
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
I re-bought everything in my collection on blu ray. HD is the future~~
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
First, I wasn't the one who necro'd this thread!

But since it has been resurrected, Yes I watch a couple of titles on bluray, but only the ones i can't get on DVD. So far this POS TV they issued me here, is equally bad with both types of media. When I get back to civilization I'll see how they look on a real HD TV.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
I do watch Blu-Ray discs, but I don't exactly prefer them. They are normally more expensive than DVDs, and to be honest with you, I really can't tell the difference between the two. I normally go for the DVD first, then if I can't get it, or it comes in one of those Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs, I'll grab them.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
konata, Remember the LCD rule applies in spades here. Quality is equal to the lowest quality item in your setup, to include cabling.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I try to watch anime in HD whenever I can. It's really unfortunate though a good portion of stuff from the 90's and earlier still hasn't been converted to high resolutions. And if they have, they're usually only in Japanese. Which is a shame because something like Cowboy Bebop or Ghost In The Shell is meant to be watched in English.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Blu-Ray films are the best...Thank you...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3