• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Zeon Empire Forms Sister State Alliance with Saitama

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
(while the slavery aspect gets played up in most modern-day tellings, states' rights and secession held more long-run importance).

Read the primary sources: these are widely availible and about as unambiguous as I can think. A few years ago I read a clause-by-clause comparison of the confederate and US constitutions: why-they-left is made pretty clear by the things they thought needed fixin'. There's also the state declarations of independence, and the history of the "fugitive slave act".

[but mostly when I think of the confederacy I think "dumb-ass losers".]
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
The slavery issue had nothing to do with starting the war, though - it explains the Confederacy's existence, but not why things came to blows(there were Confederate diplomats in Washington from pretty much the beginning and quite a number of people were of the opinion "good riddance to bad rubbish"); Lincoln himself backed the Corwin amendment. Most of the initial war agitation came from the Republican power base over concern about the fact that the Confederate constitution had slipped in a clause forbidding protective tariffs(not for nothing did Lincoln reference it in his first inaugural).

And, of course, the primary reasons for the war are irrelevant to my statement about the implications of the outcome. Lord Acton certainly seemed optimistic about the Confederacy's ability to do good in spite of the slavery issue:
Lord Acton wrote:
Without presuming to decide the purely legal question, on which it seems evident to me from Madison's and Hamilton's papers that the Fathers of the Constitution were not agreed, I saw in State Rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy. The institutions of your Republic have not exercised on the old world the salutary and liberating influence which ought to have belonged to them, by reason of those defects and abuses of principle which the Confederate Constitution was expressly and wisely calculated to remedy. I believed that the example of that great Reform would have blessed all the races of mankind by establishing true freedom purged of the native dangers and disorders of Republics. Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization; and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Confederates may have been trying to defend their right to keep slaves, which is pretty disgusting in itself, even if they were worried about their own economies. But at least they didn't slaughter billions of people with no warning. Yes, neither did the Zeons since they are fictional, but that's trivialising the sentiment and missing the point.

So... how extensive is your brain damage?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This thread is horrible and everyone involved should feel bad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Could we stop it with the reasons the Confederates went to war? That has nothing to do with anything.

TokyoGetter wrote:
So... how extensive is your brain damage?

Oh, nothing compared to your own, if you couldn't even understand such a simple point.
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I think we should find a moral high ground a get pissed about Japanese cartoons because there is literally no difference between an anime and a Nazi.

spoiler[WHY DID YOU CAPITALIZE THE WORD "NAZI" PRABB!?!?]
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Could we stop it with the reasons the Confederates went to war? That has nothing to do with anything.

So... you don't think it's quite hypocrite to claim indignation because Saitama "allied" with a fictional country* and remain silent on real countries because... they are not anime? Anime dazed

Besides, I'd like to know what's the answer to Disney joining the Galactic Empire (or vice versa).

* Which killed none, has no Constitution pledging for the slavery (or the death) of any race. Just sayin'.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, you could argue that one of the reasons Zeon went to war with the Federation is because they wanted freedom from the oppression of the Earth Federation.

Sure Zeon did some horrible shit, but so did the federation. This is also not mentioning the fact that there were good people working for Zeon, and that the only real villains the series had were the Zabi family.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
^
I question whether the Zeons had a legitimate reason for going to war in the first place, but that's neither here nor there. Their reasons do not excuse killing billions of innocent people. If they wanted a war they should have fought a war, not carried out a genocide using gas and nuclear weapons.

And the Zabi family weren't the only evil people. The rank-and-file who carried out the atrocities and knowingly supported the evil regime in the subsequent battles are also to blame.

It's funny how Mobile Suit Gundam tries to pretend that both sides are grey and similar to one another when one side engaged in genocide and wiped out half the human race and the other one did not. Saying they are the same is like claiming that a mass-murderer is no different than a school bully, when there is actually a vast disparity between them.

----------

kgw, no I do not think it is hypocritical. The reasons for the American Civil War have nothing to do with the Zeons and Saitama Prefecture.

I do rally against real countries. Frequently. But I try and do it in the appropriate places on the forums and on the internet in general. In this thread its off-topic.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's true - my original point was that they weren't Nazis and that most of the association between red neck bigots and the battle flag comes from the former flying the latter.

Which is to say, neither of kgw's examples are inherently close to the implications of what Saitama's done.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
@dtm42

Zeon wasn't the only one who killed millions, the Federation killed millions too. Not to mention they used children to fight for them, which is something that Zeon mostly didn't do. Also keep in mind that Zeon did sign the Antarctic Treaty.

I wouldn't blame the average German foot soldier in WWII for the actions of the entire Nazi party. So why should I with Zeon?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The Zeons killed billions. That's three orders of magnitude greater than what you say the Federation killed, and the Zeons slaughtered in a sneak attack with no justification as opposed to during a state of war.

Of course I don't blame the average German soldier for the crimes of the Nazi Party, just like I do not blame the average Zeon soldier for the crimes of the Zabi family. But I do hold each and every soldier to be responsible for his of her own individual actions, no matter their orders. Those billions the Zeons killed would never have died if the rank and file had refused to carry out such patently genocidal orders, and the holocaust would never have happened if the soldiers at the concentration camps had refused orders to murder Jews, Gypsies and other groups. People always say that people can't be expected to not follow orders, however there is always the option to refuse.

An average colony has ten million civilians, including children; anyone who pushes the button and kills them in a sneak attack with no surrender offered definitely deserves to be called "evil", even if they were under orders at the time. Chain of command does not provide a catch-all shield to defend from actions of individual soldiers. In other words, soldiers cannot knowingly commit evil acts and then blame higher-ups for their own actions. Not morally.

As for the Zeons signing the Antarctic Treaty, they only did so because their numerically inferior forces were exhausted and they were worried about reprise nuclear attacks from the Federation, as damn well they should have been.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I think people are making too big a deal out of a silly publicity stunt.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that my beef existed before this article and is with the general sentiment of glorifying such a genocidal fascist culture. I look on various forums (including this one) and see people with the Zeon flag as their Avatar, or with signatures like "Sieg Zeon". I'm not picking on Saitama Prefecture, it was just the catalyst for this discussion. Instead I have an issue with everyone who shares the same sentiment, no matter who or what they are.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Someone can't think the flag was cool, or think that the speech was an interesting point in the series? They aren't glorifying what Zeon did or stood for, they are expressing their fandom of a show they like. This is like saying that wearing a Darth Vader pin is making light of the slaughter of and entire religion, it's completely ridiculous.

I myself have Char from Zeta as my avatar, not because I agree with his actions, but because he's a cool character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2