• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Problems of Shoujo Romance

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
...I actually like this trope, so I guess that says something about me. Then again, my dad is pretty awesome. With Haruhi/Tamaki, though, Tamaki's creation of the "Host Club family" structure was due to his own neurosis, so him calling himself Haruhi's "Daddy" was just a way for him to find an outlet for his romantic feelings for her that he couldn't admit to himself. It's actually touched on near the end when the romance subplot picks up, and Tamaki has to deal with the fact that he's honestly in love with her.

I was talking about the part where it's pointed out that Tamaki is like her biological father in terms of personality. I honestly can't remember where it was said though, I need to go back and check because it will bother me lol.

It's when the boys visit her house for the first time (I just watched the anime). I think one of them remarks that "Wow, no wonder Haruhi's so good at dealing with Tamaki, when she has this kind of father at home." And then later there's a flashback to her father snooping after her at the grocery store when she's little; when she discovers him, he embarrassingly tells her that he just really wanted to hold her shopping basket for her. In the present, Tamaki reacts the exact same way when Haruhi's discovered he's followed her to the grocery store, too. I'm pretty sure only the readers and Haruhi's Dad actually recognize the symmetry, though.

As I said, the similarity doesn't really bother me? It's cute, and played for laughs. Tamaki and her father are still clearly not the same person, they just share some similar aspects. And it's not like Haruhi falls in love with Tamaki because he's like her father.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Anno's latest stuff that has made it over here has mainly been for guys, but Happy Mania and most of her stuff in Japan is still shoujo/josei. Sugar Sugar Rune which made it over here was weird with how the little girls handled relationships in my mind. I don't think I was ever comfortable with how easily those girls just... sort of stomped on the hearts of guys they got to fall in love with them so it remains my least favorite of hers, yet I think everyone should try it out for a volume or two because of how different it sets itself up to compared to other magical girl comics.

As to Jane Austen and the bad boy trope, they're there, they're always just disguised as gentlemen. They usually were the wolf in sheep's clothing who appear nice to begin with. Wickham was there for example, and there was one in Sense and Sensibility whose name I forget. Elizabeth was outright falling for Wickham at first.

Jane Austen however never let her main character stick with them come the end (alas, poor Lydia). Mr. Knightley's (Emma) would probably be categorized as a jerk in our current shoujo standings by how much he annoyed and teased Emma. It was always for what was best for her, but she never saw it as that in the beginning.

Sometimes I oh so wish Austen was popular in Japan. I'd love a manga or anime.

But that aside, who wouldn't want Tohru's Dad/Tamaki. Tamaki was supposed to be the supreme prince type, wasn't he? I guess Bisco Hatori did a good job with him then, even if she made fun of him the whole time. There's a lot of Freudian backing for that trope (the daddy one that is)

Otomen is another for the good guys.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

As to Jane Austen and the bad boy trope, they're there, they're always just disguised as gentlemen. They usually were the wolf in sheep's clothing who appear nice to begin with. Wickham was there for example, and there was one in Sense and Sensibility whose name I forget. Elizabeth was outright falling for Wickham at first.

That is what I meant, Jane Austin actually subverts that trope.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

That is what I meant, Jane Austin actually subverts that trope.

Well, sort of. More like it wasn't really a trope at the time - Austen was writing at the dawn of the 19th century, and 18th century heroines typically ended up with the good guy if they weren't killed off by the author. Look at the Gothics - Montoni in Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho might be the exciting, wealthy, titled count, but he's also a Bluebeard figure and Emilie ends up with nice guy Valancourt, who learns from his mistakes and always respects her. (At one point he even absents himself because he feels he is "no longer worthy of her esteem.") This is more the norm than not - if an 18th century heroine chose the bad boy, she usually ended up dead. (Thanks, Clarissa [1748] and your imitators!) So literarily speaking, Austen isn't subverting, the Brontes are when they helped to skyrocket the bad boy hero into popularity.

Anyway, totally with you, littlegreenwolf. I'd love to see an Austen manga. Just think what Kaoru Mori could do!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
I love the Rebel Love Interest trope to hell and back. Anime hyper

..........the problem is when the manga-ka can't seem to distinguish between "tsundere" and "asshole". :<

I prefer boys whose "bad" behavior is limited to only verbal insults...or mischievousness. Like when he gets mad, he'll go "You're so dumb...who the hell would like YOU!?" but then he turns around and does something really sweet and then makes up a lame excuse for why he did it. Anime hyper

I love love love LOVE that. >///< And it is all Takuto Kira's fault that I am the tsundere-fangirl I am today.

This type of tsundere behavior normally comes from the character just having a lot of pride and is insecure to show his weakness. Or maybe he doesn't want the heroine to know his feelings because he's terrified of being rejected.
I think those reasons are perfectly okay and it's a lot better if HE falls for the girl first and I like it more when she's thinking "I'm not going to change him with love", but "I just want to be his friend". And later, that turns into romantic love after they both realize they've become inseparable. KyouxTooru did this well but Kyou is just a wee bit too damaged for my taste so I prefer MitsukixTakuto who pretty much mastered this type of romance. MeimixAsuka from Kaitou St.Tail are also great...though I don't think those two were ever in the friend-zone, they were more in the "I have a crush on you but I'm too immature to admit it" zone. Anime hyper

......but I love complete hopeless dorks like Tamaki too-they're too adorable. Anime hyper It annoys me when people complain about him being a jerk to Haruhi in the beach episode because, YES, SHE WAS BEING RECKLESS!
And he yelled at her because guys get angry and yell when you scare them like that. It was totally normal behavior, in my opinion.

Mayu Shinjo and Minami Kanan=misogynistic women who are the bane of shoujo manga-lovers' existence. :< I hate them both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2