• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA Times Reviews Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Darkness© wrote:
Quote:
Ken Akamatsu scored a big hit in 1998 with "Love Hina," which exemplified the "harem comedy": A geeky guy is surrounded by beautiful girls who initially dislike him but come to love him. His new series, "Negima!," continues the genre. Ten-year-old Welsh sorcerer Negi Springfield receives the improbable assignment of teaching English in an all-girl junior high in Japan. The girls initially refuse to respect him, then decide he's cute. Most of the students have magical powers, and soon the class is casting spells, fighting vampires and subduing demons.

"Negima!" is an example of a "fan service" story: one that offers gratuitous cheesecake shots to titillate male readers. Panels are composed so the reader looks up the girls' skirts, important discussions take place in the bathtub and various spells blow the girls' clothes off. The maladroit romance between two college applicants in "Love Hina" has plenty of embarrassing moments but feels believable. However, a pack of nubile females pursuing a prepubescent boy may not play as well in the U.S., where some might consider these images slightly suggestive of child molestation.

In contrast to the clarity of the artwork in "Fullmetal Alchemist," Akamatsu's drawings overflow with fussy details that often make them hard to read. The 31 girls in Negi's class look alike except for their hairdos, so the reader sometimes has trouble determining who's saying what to whom.

This guy obviously didn't do much research on the stuff he was reviewing....Furthermore, his writing was spotty, and wasn't to the point.
[/quote]
Thanks for that. Confused Geez, looks like another 'flipped through the book instead of reading it' review to me. Mad
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
If Korean soaps can help reduce some of the animosity Japanese have towards other Asians, I don't see the harm in hip hop bridging the gap. It's not like America where we co-opt culture and show contempt for the original artists. (*cough* Tarantino *cough*)
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If Korean soaps can help reduce some of the animosity Japanese have towards other Asians, I don't see the harm in hip hop bridging the gap. It's not like America where we co-opt culture and show contempt for the original artists. (*cough* Tarantino *cough*)

I didn't say it was bad. But African American culture is rich in history and variety just like the Japanese. What frusterates people like myself is that people influenced by the media assume you like hip hop because your young and black. And if you don't your a sell out, or an outcast. It's hard enough for young African Americans to shake this sterotype, and not be ridiculed in this country but to visit another country and be expected to act in a similiar fashion just to feel accepted as a represtative of that race just doesnt seem right.

Im sorry if I'm off topic, but I view the subject in that article diffrently and question its value as a postive message. Somehow I feel wrong and defensive for doing it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Point taken.
a_lonewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm so sick of Charles Solomon's articles on anime. It's sad that anime has to be represented by him in mainstream media outlets like the LA Times and the NY Times. His articles generally only touch the surface of most of the material he reviews and he is often so ill-informed that it's almost ludicrous that he holds himself out to be some kind of expert.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That one actually seems like a fairly accurate assessment of Japanese attitudes towards foreigners. Check out Tokyo Breakfast if you don't believe me. (Note that the content has frequent use of the N word.) [/url]

Tokyo Breakfast is American, but still not too far from the truth, thanks to the interest in R&B, hip-hop, and misc MTV culture...
blah_canbespanish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Could someone *possibly* copy the whole article and paste it here? I can't register. Evil or Very Mad
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh well. Fooled me.
redsbury

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Fullmetal alchemist," "Negima!" and "Hunter X Hunter" all center on young heroes with supernatural powers, but the differences in the style, tone and content of these manga reflect the vitality and diversity of Japanese graphic novels. Sales of manga in the U.S. and Canada skyrocketed from $55 million in 2002 to more than $125 million last year, according to the trade publication ICv2.

Americans unfamiliar with manga often dismiss them as flashy comic books, and some do contain elements that recall Carl Barks' baroque adventures for Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge, the never-ending battles that superheroes wage against the forces of evil or the high school high jinks of Archie Andrews. But in Japan, thousands of manga titles are published every week; they appeal to readers of all ages and encompass a vast array of genres and subjects. In the U.S., manga are rapidly becoming what "Nancy Drew," "The Hardy Boys" and "Tintin" were to earlier generations.

Hiromu Arakawa's "Fullmetal Alchemist" offers something that many American comics and animated films lack: heart. Young Alphonse and Edward Elric delved into forbidden knowledge when they tried to use alchemy to bring their mother back from the dead. They paid a terrible price for their transgression: Edward lost a leg and Alphonse nearly died; Edward then sacrificed his right arm to save his brother's soul, which is preserved in a suit of armor (hence the series title).

The brothers' picaresque adventures take place in a world that resembles late 19th century North America. While Edward performs his duties as a state alchemist, he and Alphonse search for the philosophers' stone to restore them. The brothers free the inhabitants of a desert city from a charlatan posing as a priest, outwit a crooked functionary in a mountain town and rescue a trainload of passengers from hijackers. The sometimes violent action is balanced with broad comedy: Edward throws a tantrum whenever anyone comments on how short he is.

Neither the comedy nor the action detracts from the brotherly bond that forms the series' emotional core. When Edward can't save a little girl who's been turned into a chimera, he thinks about quitting alchemy. As Edward broods in the rain, Alphonse reminds him, "I don't even have a body that can feel the rain. It's lonely inside here…. It's hard." Chastened, Edward resumes the journey.

Arakawa's line drawings are clean and effective. She uses areas of black and halftone shadows to heighten a mood but never clutters the page with unnecessary details. Fans of the animated TV series, which debuted on the Cartoon Network in 2004, will find that the animators have followed her original designs very closely.

Ken Akamatsu scored a big hit in 1998 with "Love Hina," which exemplified the "harem comedy": A geeky guy is surrounded by beautiful girls who initially dislike him but come to love him. His new series, "Negima!," continues the genre. Ten-year-old Welsh sorcerer Negi Springfield receives the improbable assignment of teaching English in an all-girl junior high in Japan. The girls initially refuse to respect him, then decide he's cute. Most of the students have magical powers, and soon the class is casting spells, fighting vampires and subduing demons.

"Negima!" is an example of a "fan service" story: one that offers gratuitous cheesecake shots to titillate male readers. Panels are composed so the reader looks up the girls' skirts, important discussions take place in the bathtub and various spells blow the girls' clothes off. The maladroit romance between two college applicants in "Love Hina" has plenty of embarrassing moments but feels believable. However, a pack of nubile females pursuing a prepubescent boy may not play as well in the U.S., where some might consider these images slightly suggestive of child molestation.

In contrast to the clarity of the artwork in "Fullmetal Alchemist," Akamatsu's drawings overflow with fussy details that often make them hard to read. The 31 girls in Negi's class look alike except for their hairdos, so the reader sometimes has trouble determining who's saying what to whom.

Gon, the hero of Yoshihiro Togashi's long-running "Hunter X Hunter" series, wants to follow in his father's footsteps and become a protector of the world, or, hunter. To receive the license needed to pursue this demanding profession, he and hundreds of others must undergo a rigorous and often deadly program of training and tests. As he begins the qualifying exams, Gon makes three friends, whose complimentary skills help them overcome obstacles. Aspiring physician Leorio provides first aid; Kurapika analyzes situations and uncovers ruses; Killua is quietly deadly — he comes from a family of assassins. What Gon lacks in size, he makes up in speed, agility and pluck.

With his spiky hair and outsize boots, Gon looks like the typical eager half pint who appears in so many manga. Togashi gives the character an added depth by playing his enthusiasm against serious reflections. Although Gon delights in the riskiest challenges, he also realizes that a hypothetical question in a test setting might pose an ethical dilemma in the real world. Gon's moral sense gives him an appeal his relentlessly upbeat counterparts lack. Togashi's artwork is cartoony in the best sense of the word. Gon and his friends move through a world that is appropriately bright and engaging.

In many ways, the challenges Edward, Alphonse, Negi and Gon face aren't very different from the ones faced by characters in the "Harry Potter," "Tintin" and "The Hardy Boys" series. There are still wrongs to be righted, mysteries to be solved, victims to be rescued and malefactors to be brought to justice. The stakes may be higher, the settings more exotic and the weapons more sophisticated, but the basic adventure continues. And the better manga offer a combination of words and pictures that speaks to younger readers looking for an alternative to the flashy visuals of video games, "Star Wars" and "Yu-Gi-Oh!"
blah_canbespanish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Smile
konosuke15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Solomon is an idjit....a complete idjit.....
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
Solomon really needs to stfu. Thats it with me.

I think what you really wanna say to him is:

Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
yeah..i was amused for about 3 seconds. Not sure if that was satire, insult, or just plain moronic. But hey I saw something just like on the Chappele Show.

No, the Chappelle's Show skit was different. It was a family that was actually named the Niggars (different spelling than the actual word, they could officially write it out like that and not get sued), and they would just use their last name like any other family would, but with comedic results. Also, Dave Chappelle's milkman character just loved using their name. Tokyo Breakfast, on the other hand, was just people tossing out the n-word for no good reason.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Isaaru wrote:
yeah..i was amused for about 3 seconds. Not sure if that was satire, insult, or just plain moronic. But hey I saw something just like on the Chappele Show.

No, the Chappelle's Show skit was different. It was a family that was actually named the Niggars (different spelling than the actual word, they could officially write it out like that and not get sued), and they would just use their last name like any other family would, but with comedic results. Also, Dave Chappelle's milkman character just loved using their name. Tokyo Breakfast, on the other hand, was just people tossing out the n-word for no good reason.

Doesnt matter. Its the overuse of the N word for the point of comedy. I don't care if there are similiarities in spelling and pronouciations. Thier origins are forever tied together to a time when the N word was not funny, especially in suffering after a lynching. I know many African Americans use the modern variation ending with A for urban slang, but with other cultures picking it up because they find it amusing (through the media) is just plain annoying. I would like to live in a world where people (especially non african americans) don't incorporate that word, whether it ends in A or ER in thier everyday vocabulary because they think its funny.

Sorry for being off topic, but I need to say that.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
GATSU wrote:
That one actually seems like a fairly accurate assessment of Japanese attitudes towards foreigners.

Agreed--he backed up his assertions for a change.

Though once again, he manages to make some gaffes that makes me wonder if he even bothered doing his research or double-checking what he was talking about.

Example:
Solomon wrote:

And in the high school sports story "Hoops," a Japanese rapper, Da Pump, performs the closing song in a live action/animation combination.

Last time I checked, the name was either "Hoop Days" or "Dear Boys"... not "Hoops."

It's like this guy has kids who are huge anime fans, and he just eavesdrops on their lunchtime conversations, jots some mental notes to himself, and goes and writes articles he knows nothing about. His latest article at least had valid explanations and examples to back up his points, but with all the simple, basic mistakes he constantly makes (like the glaring FMA one, or that trivial "Hoops" one), I wonder if he even cares about anime/manga, or if he's just seizing on this niche market to pump out some articles that he knows he doesn't have to compete with journalists in.

I'm also not entirely sure I agree with his assertion that the growing Japanese hip hop culture is filled with "Japanese wannabes," like he says. Just like not all white rappers are wiggers, there's plenty of Japanese hip hop artists who aren't just pretending to be black.

And shoot, as long as I'm complaining, I think Paranoia Agent is a stupid example to use for "cross-pollination." Just because the kid has a baseball cap, cargo pants, and frizzy hair hardly makes him a nod towards blacks. Assuming that his character design is influenced by black culture is just as presumptious as the stereotypes Mr. Solomon is trying to say are crumbling in Japan.

The only thing that makes this article a good read is the quotes from the professors and creators who contribute their thoughts to the matter. Solomon needs to stick to writing interest pieces and leave anime alone. It's like his new gimmick, and it's obvious he doesn't give two shits about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3