• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Tone of Locke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Robot Carnival - 80's scifi anthology with lots of big names directing segments.

It goes without saying that you best keep hold of such a videotape. I understand the release is profoundly rare. (That said, I once noticed a set of Robot Carnival collectible cards in the corner of a dealer's table at an Expo.)

Tenchi wrote:
Locke the Superman is a show that doesn't quite live up to the awesome title. It'd be cooler if it were more like this Photoshop I made several months ago for a different forum:

Blast. It is not appreciated that a name bearing so important a scholarly denotation as Locke has now come to be associated with a television character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mike, it's always a pleasure to see you talk about some of the more obscure elements of anime history. The sheer amount of info you have floating around in your head about shows and releases that have been buried by time never ceases to amaze. Smile I don't own any anime on VHS myself (unless you count that tape of Scamper the Penguin my grandmother bought us ages ago Razz), since I only got into the fandom well after that time period, but it's fun to read about the stuff that never made the jump to DVD. One or two of the titles you mentioned intrigued me enough that I might take a closer look at them someday.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Oh, and Lord Geo? Eat-Man '98 is on DVD as a 2-disc boxset. I've owned it for some time now. Wink

Yeah, I know that. I've had that DVD set for a few years now. But you can't really list the first Eat-Man anime without bringing up '98. Hell, d-rights' website even has them together as one single listing, meaning that you probably couldn't even license only one of the animes even if you wanted to.

But, also, that DVD boxset for Eat-Man '98 was only good for the time it was released in. Since then Japan's given it a DVD release with probably much better video quality than Bandai's set, and when you consider that Bandai couldn't even romanize and translate the opening theme properly it makes you wonder if the English subtitles would need a good look over as well to make them more accurate.
takimaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
techno man and tekka man blade have been released to dvd..
pity it;'s the US tv edit..

lensman, no legal licanse, though have seen it both on vhs and dvd,,

the cockpit, I thought that was wings of honnemes (pardon spelling)
people really need to start checking name databases..

guyver has had 2 releases on dvd, the original were it end with the sex scenes, and the last 1 a remake that was released a couple of years ago.. with a new ending with super guyver.. i have latter series in r4, whilst i got the origiinal in r1.. both on dvd..

gun buster has had both a dvd and a blue ray release..

gun frontier is available on dvd as a fatpack...

I think the article has alot of flaws in it and needs alot more research given some animes have multiple names ...

as for series i want to see a release on

madbull 34 plus 100 other titles

given everything went to fatpack/thinpack with most series I would say might be be still available in that format...

I would also say to the writer of article do more research next time don't write something like a blithering idiot as you will come across as an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about as far as vhs to dvd release...

some titles only get short runs if or when released to dvd so it is quite possible you missed the op to get said series..
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound rude, but maybe you should really double-check some things before you start correcting others:
takimaki wrote:

Blade was never brought up. The original Tekkaman anime from the 70s, which has been brought up, has never been given a DVD release in North America. Also, the Teknoman DVDs we got used the International english version and not the incomplete US TV edit.

Quote:
lensman, no legal licanse, though have seen it both on vhs and dvd,,

Like you said Lensman has never been given a legal DVD release in North America, so it still counts for the conversation.

Quote:
guyver has had 2 releases on dvd, the original were it end with the sex scenes, and the last 1 a remake that was released a couple of years ago.. with a new ending with super guyver.. i have latter series in r4, whilst i got the origiinal in r1.. both on dvd..

Mike was talking about Guyver: Out of Control, which is neither the 12-episode OVA nor the more recent TV series, but rather a third anime which is 55 minutes long. L.A. Hero did the VHS release and was never given a DVD release. Hell, Mike's article links to the ANN encyclopedia page for Out of Control, so you're attempted correction has no merit at all.

Quote:
gun buster has had both a dvd and a blue ray release..

Mike never said that Gunbuster was never given a DVD release. He was talking about the VHS era in general, using Gunbuster as an example.

Quote:
gun frontier is available on dvd as a fatpack...

Just like Gunbuster, Mike never said that Gun Frontier never got a DVD release. He was just bringing it up to explain his feelings on some of Leiji Matsumoto's works.

Quote:
I think the article has alot of flaws in it and needs alot more research given some animes have multiple names ...

I would also say to the writer of article do more research next time don't write something like a blithering idiot as you will come across as an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about as far as vhs to dvd release...

some titles only get short runs if or when released to dvd so it is quite possible you missed the op to get said series..

Mike Toole is one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to things like this and your attempt to heavily correct him has bombed gigantically. I would also say that you should actually read the article and makes sure what context the titles he brought up are used in before calling him out on them. And the ANN Encyclopedia is your friend.[/b]
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Wrial Huden wrote:
I'm surprised Video Girl Ai wasn't mentioned. Perhaps just overlooked? Despite it having a dated look (with the fact that a VHS tape is a central device in the show itself), it's definitely worth it for Viz to take a chance on a DVD release.

VIZ released it on DVD twice- once as a 2-disc set, another time all on one disc. They did the same thing with Please Save My Earth, though both are OOP.

There were never 2-disc releases of either of these (unless you count the R2 of VGAi and the Korean R3 of PSME).

Mike didn't mention either because they had DVD releases and this column was on shows that weren't.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks! I saw a few copies on eBay. Can't believe I missed it before. But it only got one DVD release in 2001. Perhaps not enough interest to do a re-pressing?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah,

There's a lot of good old anime that will probably never see the light of day on DVD or Blu ray unless someone gets the licenses for cheap and call sell them through an online story without getting their investment wiped out by "fans" sharing the anime online through torrents.

And people wonder why the bigger studios change the region lock-out codes for DVD's...! The whole argument has devolved into perceived "Internet freebie rights" vs people who pay fair price for LEGALLY authorized copies of media vs people who paid once for something and don't want to pay again... So far, the first group is by far the worst and most irrational to deal with. A whole generation-and-a-half has grown up with entitlement syndrome. Would be nice to see the reaction on their faces if THEIR creations are stolen and distributed by some jackal making bootlegs OR "good-meanings fans" wanting to "spread the joy."

As for those of us who have laserdiscs and VHS along with their associated players, keep 'em unless you need the space and don't have sentimental attachment to the anime.

If you get a half-decent DVD Recorder with a hard drive (I use an out-of-production Polaroid with decent recording ability that's very upgradable HD-wise), you can straight record from laserdisc OR VHS (if there's no Macro otherwise you have to buy a video stabilizer in 85% of the pre-recorded VHS cases) to the hard drive and then spit out the recording on a DVD+/-RW disc and at least half-edit the recording with freeware editors and get a DVD-R with minimal menus burned. You can save the original materials in storage and keep that digital backup for personal use. Best to actually put the recordings you downloaded to your computer on a removable/USB hard drive. Most mass-market DVD-R's are cheaply made and rot within a year... Ironically, VHS and videotape tech in general is looking to be a better preserver of video than DVD-R thus far!

I'm upset as well at some Japanese companies for keeping older animated versions of stories out-of-print in favor of recent TV retreads. (95% of the licensing problems are with the Japanese companies, guys... Not the perceived evil American licensees.) I'm lucky that I bought the CPM LD releases of the Rumik World titles before someone in Japan decided those couldn't be licensed for US release. The Mermaid Forest TV series might be higher-quality production than the original Mermaid Forest and Mermaid's Scar OVAs but only those of who bought the earlier VHS/LD releases could really tell...
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting read, I have maybe around 200 VHS's left, mostly live action but a good couple dozen anime VHS's. Nothing rare though.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
takimaki wrote:
the cockpit, I thought that was wings of honnemes (pardon spelling)
people really need to start checking name databases..

The Cockpit is an anthology of WWII shorts from Madhouse.

Wings of Honneamise is a scifi movie from Gainax.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I personally would love to see Dragon Century and Dragon League (neither of which ever got dubbed and League never came to the U.S.) get DVD releases. Oddly enough there was a Dragon Century DVD released on some website whose name I no longer recall that I purchased, but judging from the shoddy design, I think someone just burned the two episodes to disc and slapped it in a case. It works fine though. Still a great OVA to me.

As for Dragon League, they only released the first two episodes on VHS, which sucks because I want to see more. I assume the reason it never was considered for TV dubbing here is because no one in the U.S. cares for soccer (even if it's played by dragons, dinosaurs and other assorted anthros alongside humans). I know there are episodes on YouTube but they're all in languages I don't speak or understand, not to mention lacking proper volume. The show's age and lack of memory will probably prevent it from ever getting a DVD release.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Not to sound rude, but maybe you should really double-check some things before you start correcting others:
takimaki wrote:

Blade was never brought up. The original Tekkaman anime from the 70s, which has been brought up, has never been given a DVD release in North America. Also, the Teknoman DVDs we got used the International english version and not the incomplete US TV edit.
Mike Toole is one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to things like this and your attempt to heavily correct him has bombed gigantically. I would also say that you should actually read the article and makes sure what context the titles he brought up are used in before calling him out on them. And the ANN Encyclopedia is your friend.[/b]

Yeah, the Tekkman series Cosack referred to was a handful of the 70's Tekkaman episodes put out on dubbed vhs, a seperate series from Tekkaman Blade.

Tekkaman Blade was released 2 different ways on DVD. You can get the internation TV dub [less editing, and all eps dubbed] in an obscenly cheap DVD boxset http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/BXOvPXPKmZT=n2zxsQ/browse/item/78706/4/0/0 [I got the singles as they came out, and even then they were a great value, w/15 eps each] or subtitled http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/BXOvPXPKmZT=n2zxsQ/browse/item/86473/4/0/0 with a few bonus episodes.

Did Tekkaman Blade II [the OVA sequel] ever get a DVD release? I forget it Urban Vision ever did that. It was wierd to find I had a copy of one of the volumes on VHS after I'd just finished watching the Teknoman series in full.

Searching ANN's encyclopedia is super easy. And if it's not enough for you, buy Helen McCarthy's Anime Encyclopedia, which is even moreso full o'knowledge.

I also like how Mike's columns comment sections always feel like AnimeJump's back. Mike does indeed know his stuff.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Did Tekkaman Blade II [the OVA sequel] ever get a DVD release? I forget it Urban Vision ever did that. It was wierd to find I had a copy of one of the volumes on VHS after I'd just finished watching the Teknoman series in full.

Yeah, UV released it on DVD back in 2001. It's kind of semi-rare, though, and places like the Amazon Marketplace have it for around $50 used (there's a listing right now for about $15, but it's from the UK and it could very well be a bootleg). Tatsunoko vs. Capcom's release boosted the second-hand prices for some of these Tatsunoko OVAs; I know Shin Hurricane Polymar's subbed VHS from UV goes for over $100 now.

I actually asked John Sirabella a few years back, around the time Tekkaman Blade's release finished, if Media Blasters would ever do TB II but he didn't give a solid answer and it just seemed like he didn't want to talk about that title in particular. Maybe he doesn't like it and therefore doesn't want MB to release it?
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

I actually asked John Sirabella a few years back, around the time Tekkaman Blade's release finished, if Media Blasters would ever do TB II but he didn't give a solid answer and it just seemed like he didn't want to talk about that title in particular. Maybe he doesn't like it and therefore doesn't want MB to release it?

That or Urban Vision still has the rights and he couldn't get through the red tape. Have any of their titles been re-released? They've sort of disappeared entirely recently, even titles like Vampire Hunter D aren't being stocked anywhere.

Their website still lives, so I assume they're just sort of sitting around for the time being http://www.urban-vision.com/
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

That or Urban Vision still has the rights and he couldn't get through the red tape. Have any of their titles been re-released? They've sort of disappeared entirely recently, even titles like Vampire Hunter D aren't being stocked anywhere.

Their website still lives, so I assume they're just sort of sitting around for the time being http://www.urban-vision.com/

I'd say that the only titles UV still has are the ones they list on their website and can sell from their online store.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
How about the Orgus 1 and 2, Blue Seed, Project-Ako,AD Police, Akria and Gall Force series and their is another problem is it hard to rent anime anymore since Blockbuster which looking for a buyer and Video Ave which still around has cut back on their anime section in their stores so it hard to rent or even buy anime here in Puerto Rico. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4