• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Tone of Locke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Orguss 2 got a DVD release, but I'd really like a DVD release of Orguss 1 since the tapes are so hard to find.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Orguss 2 got a DVD release, but I'd really like a DVD release of Orguss 1 since the tapes are so hard to find.

Orguss 1 was given a print-on-demand DVD release by iaTV a few years back, headed up by ANN's Justin Sevakis at that, that is now completely out-of-print and very hard to find. It is also the only complete release of Orguss, as the VHS tapes only went to episode 17.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
How about the Orgus 1 and 2, Blue Seed, Project-Ako,AD Police, Akria and Gall Force series and their is another problem is it hard to rent anime anymore since Blockbuster which looking for a buyer and Video Ave which still around has cut back on their anime section in their stores so it hard to rent or even buy anime here in Puerto Rico. Sad

AD Police is available from http://www.animeigo.com and is still in print, so retailers [online or off] should be able to order it for you as well. If you meant the TV version, ADV Films issued it twice, the 2nd time with the latest BGC spinoff, Parasite Dolls http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/6AzBxd-oTjkRv1kL2k/browse/item/78892/4/0/0

Akira was issued on DVD a few times by Geneon/Pioneer, as well as the PSP-based UMD format, and was later reissued by Bandai Entertainment on Blu-ray. The Geneon ones are OOP, but tons of stock is out there and cheap, and the bluray is one of Bandai's bestsellers, so you should have no problems finding it at retail.

ADV release Blue Seed as DVD singles, and a few different boxsets. RightStuf has two different ed. of the boxset- http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/6AzBxd-oTjkRv1kL2k/browse/item/80157/4/0/0

CPM issued both Project A-Ko [movie and the ova's] and Gall Force on DVD, and in Gall Force's case issued some not released on VHS. CPM closed down a few years ago, but you can still find some of their dvd's at assorted online retailers.

http://discotekmedia.com will be reissuing the Project A-ko movie on DVD this year, so if you can't find either CPM edition, check that out. Discotek's kind of keen in that they've saved a ton of anime movies that would otherwise be consigned to the VHS-era forever, like Sea Prince and the Fire Child, and the Galaxy Express movies.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zump

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Star Blazers is beloved enough that Voyager Entertainment's poorly-mastered DVDs still sell well today

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how many people on this forum are aware, but the Star Blazers DVD sets have become really expensive (the retail prices are as high as $149) as of late.

Also, I would pay good money for a legitimate DVD release of Lensman. I know it's a shameless Star Wars knock-off and even Yoshiaki Kawajiri doesn't seem to care too much for it, but I'd gladly buy a copy, even it's something like a Rifftrax release (though that's unlikely).
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
Speaking of which, I'm not sure how many people on this forum are aware, but the Star Blazers DVD sets have become really expensive (the retail prices are as high as $149) as of late.

They were always that expensive, even when Voyager was issueing them on VHS. I think you might have things confused due to the single disc dvd's, which were 30. They're clearancing their stock of those on their website, but keeping the boxset editions in print [which are the same dvd's, with an artbox.... though it could be RightStuf's just stocking the boxsets at the moment].

edit- yeah, Animecornerstore.com has the singles, so I guess RStuf is jsut odd. Or they primarily get sales via those really expensive boxsets.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:

Orguss 1 was given a print-on-demand DVD release by iaTV a few years back, headed up by ANN's Justin Sevakis at that, that is now completely out-of-print and very hard to find. It is also the only complete release of Orguss, as the VHS tapes only went to episode 17.

Too bad it never got a full release, because those DVDs, what little of them were printed, are long gone now. I can't even find any on eBay.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The one series I would love for someone to lose money on releasing is Pretty Sammy the tv series, an amazing parody of magical girls shows that get's some surprising development. Any series that mocks trying to force a new character into the plot by claiming she was always there needs to be on DVD.

Yeah-as already noted it was released as Magical Project S. One really early ADV release I'd like to see come to dvd is The Girl From Phantasia.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
How about the Orgus 1 and 2, Blue Seed, Project-Ako,AD Police, Akria and Gall Force series and their is another problem is it hard to rent anime anymore since Blockbuster which looking for a buyer and Video Ave which still around has cut back on their anime section in their stores so it hard to rent or even buy anime here in Puerto Rico. Sad

With the exception of Orguss, all of those should be available on DVD and fairly easy to come by if you use the Amazon marketplace. The only one that I believe is expensive right now is the first Ako movie, but that's slated for a re-release from Discotek in the near future.

There was a listing for an Orguss 2 DVD, but I don't know enough about the show to know if it's the whole thing or not. I know part 1 was technically on DVD, but it was one of those imaginasian releases, so at this point it's as good as 'never released' anyway. Wink

Edit: beaten to the punch on all counts. Stupid fussy computer!
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorites of VHS only anime was Psycho Diver. I saw it on youtube before it was removed, and have to say that it was enjoyable. I heard about it from the article on ANN about dubbed music in anime, and I decided to seek it out. It was surprisingly good. About on the same level as a Hollywood action movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Where's AnimeonDVD's catalogue check when you need it?

http://www.mania.com/yearlychecklist.php

Still have my VHS collection and ~15-yr-old Sony VCR still works. Take good care of stuff. Laughing

Any DVD of Ten Little Gall Force / Scramble Wars?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="enurtsol"]
Paploo wrote:

Doesn't seem like it, even though all the other Gall Force OVAs were.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Great article, but that line about Discotek not being able to secure Viz's dub to Galaxy Express 999 sounds false. According to a very recent Twitter post from the company itself, http://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/43049694749929472, the dubs will be included on their upcoming release. If the company had not confirmed this, my purchasing decision would've been affected.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
their is another problem is it hard to rent anime anymore since Blockbuster which looking for a buyer and Video Ave which still around has cut back on their anime section in their stores so it hard to rent or even buy anime here in Puerto Rico. Sad

This Mania.com/Anime on DVD thread might help, though I don't know if any of the companies mentioned service Puerto Rico:

"Anime rentals 2011 besides Netflix in USA?"

======

enurtsol wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Where's AnimeonDVD's catalogue check when you need it?

http://www.mania.com/yearlychecklist.php

That's not to what Paploo is referring—this is: Catalog Check.

And my version is here:

Catalog Check Update and Supplement (Version 3.1)

It's a list of (hopefully) all of what North American–released anime has and has not made the transition from VHS to laserdisc and DVD.

enurtsol wrote:

To the best recollection of Robert Woodhead (I asked him via E-mail awhile back) and myself, there wasn't even a laserdisc issue for North America. The VHS was out of print as of 19 May 1997.

======

FYI for everyone: for shorter Amazon.com links, see this Wikipedia article; for shorter TRSI URLs:

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/[item number here]

E.g., http://www.rightstuf.com/i/fun08658

http://www.rightstuf.com/aod/[___] also works ("aod" = "Anime on DVD")

The "normal" TRSI URLs are long, change every time they are used (because each accessor's session is different), have no relation to the product to which they point, and are "out-of-print proof". TRSI routinely hides from searches those products which had gone out of print, but the shorter URLs will still link to the products (though some of the product information is apparently deleted when the products are hidden).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4