• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Reading Site JManga to End Service in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
BadBrains wrote:
First post on this forum. Anyways, I just made this account to let you guys know that there's a good replacement that I found for myself. Try out emanga.com if you want. From what I've heard, they're growing quick and most importantly, NON-DRM!!! Cheers!
Sounds dogey.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
BadBrains wrote:
First post on this forum. Anyways, I just made this account to let you guys know that there's a good replacement that I found for myself. Try out emanga.com if you want. From what I've heard, they're growing quick and most importantly, NON-DRM!!! Cheers!
Sounds dogey.

Nope. They are legal. DMP's stuff is on there.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Aint self-fulfilling prophecies fun? You knew it'd fail, so you helped it fail.

No, he didn't help it fail. The site's failure was inevitable before the first line of code was written.

Quote:
Mind, it was only a small help one at a time...

DRM is never helpful, and neither are the purchases people make to support it.

Microsoft, one of the largest software companies on the planet, couldn't keep their own DRM servers operational. There's no way a small business like this would keep their site running, even if millions were to hit the site.

DRM isn't cheap to add, by the way. The encryption servers would be working nearly 3x as hard as the distribution server. Once a file is transferred, it's done. However, the DRM is constant, which means repeated calls to the DRM server.

It's stupid companies think this will prevent piracy, and it's even more stupid they treat paying customers like criminals.

Rule of thumb: if it's got DRM, save your money.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
BadBrains wrote:

Not until they add stuff JManga had. Their catalog is practically 80% yaoi which I'm not interested in.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
This whole incident has me thinking twice about purchasing digital manga/comics from anyone that doesn't at least offer a PDF version, even Viz and ComiXology.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Aint self-fulfilling prophecies fun? You knew it'd fail, so you helped it fail.

No, he didn't help it fail. The site's failure was inevitable before the first line of code was written.

Code? What does the coding of the site have to do with it?

Quote:
Quote:
Mind, it was only a small help one at a time...

DRM is never helpful, and neither are the purchases people make to support it.

But this has nothing to do with DRM, does it? Its not as if people were paying a price for access in perpetuity and now are being denied access to the work because a DRM server went down. We were always buying access to an online service, and just like you can't watch shows on a cable channel anymore of it stops running, you can't access content on an online service if the online service shut down.

A reasonable print-equivalent price for a print-equivalent digital download of such micro-niche manga would be $15 to $20. At $5 to $6, we were getting a 60% to 75% discount for it being access to the content on the site rather than buying ownership of the manga.
xstarburst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
BadBrains wrote:

Not until they add stuff JManga had. Their catalog is practically 80% yaoi which I'm not interested in.

I've been to emanga more recently and they've been working on adding more mainstream stuff. It's pretty chill and I'd check it out before knocking it.

I get if you don't wanna read yaoi or whatnot, and it's true that a ton of their stuff is on the more...adult side of things, but they've been releasing stuff like Tezuka Osamu, Itazura na Kiss, Elemental Gelade.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
xstarburst wrote:
I've been to emanga more recently and they've been working on adding more mainstream stuff. It's pretty chill and I'd check it out before knocking it.

But Viz has lots of mainstream stuff ~ its the yuri at JManga that I'm missing, and I don't see any hint of it at emanga.
xstarburst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
xstarburst wrote:

But Viz has lots of mainstream stuff ~ its the yuri at JManga that I'm missing, and I don't see any hint of it at emanga.

Ahha. Gotcha. Well, each to their own I suppose. I personally like variety so I have lotsa accounts. Haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9