• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Reading Site JManga to End Service in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
This really is sad. I was just looking at their site last week hoping soon they would offer at least pdf downloads soon. Dang it, I guess I'm not getting that est em title.

On another note Sublime is not the only one to offer downloadable ebooks. Emanga now has the option to download to own, including pdfs as well a lot of other ebook formats (I got the pdf cause I have a nook and a kindle). They also have the option of reading from their site. I finally bought from them because of that last week.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, and you're also insured for the contents of your home if you lose it in flood or fire, assuming the right insurance coverage. No such luck for e-books or e-anything, and they're much easier to lose.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
Sad to say, but this is exactly why I don't buy digital media. Even if you "download to own" a PDF or ebook, if the service goes bellyup or they pull the content and your hard drive crashes where does that leave you?

It leaves you with the same books you had before. Any of the digital services I use, be it SuBLime, Kindle, Nook, all allow you to redownload your purchases if you lose your hard drive, most doing it automatically, even remembering what page you left off on. You don't even have to make backups. So that argument is a non-issue. (And yes, a couple of those have DRM, but it's easiliy removed.)
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh, and you're also insured for the contents of your home if you lose it in flood or fire, assuming the right insurance coverage. No such luck for e-books or e-anything, and they're much easier to lose.

Your home owner's insurance or property insurance, assuming you have typical insurance, would cover such losses provide you have documentation. But as I said above, it's a moot point because the books won't be lost unless you're getting them from cheap fly-by-night operation that won't let you redownload them, and I haven't seen one of those since the early 00s.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
truanifan678 wrote:
Sad to say, but this is exactly why I don't buy digital media. Even if you "download to own" a PDF or ebook, if the service goes bellyup or they pull the content and your hard drive crashes where does that leave you?

It leaves you with the same books you had before. Any of the digital services I use, be it SuBLime, Kindle, Nook, all allow you to redownload your purchases if you lose your hard drive, most doing it automatically, even remembering what page you left off on. You don't even have to make backups. So that argument is a non-issue. (And yes, a couple of those have DRM, but it's easiliy removed.)

Yes, but what happens if, in the case of manga, the rights for English digital distribution get pulled and you are unable to re-download your content in the future? Far future? I know there was content I downloaded via iTunes years ago that got pulled for some reason off the servers and after my computer crashed I was unable to re-download that media. I'm not talking about apps, but music and videos. I'm just saying digital downloaded media isn't reliable. It's constantly fluctuating and can't be depended on. That was my main point. Oh, and even though it sounds like on the offense I'm not. Not hostility here. Wink
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
truanifan678 wrote:

Yes, but what happens if, in the case of manga, the rights for English digital distribution get pulled and you are unable to re-download your content in the future? Far future? I know there was content I downloaded via iTunes years ago that got pulled for some reason off the servers and after my computer crashed I was unable to re-download that media. I'm not talking about apps, but music and videos. I'm just saying digital downloaded media isn't reliable. It's constantly fluctuating and can't be depended on. That was my main point. Oh, and even though it sounds like on the offense I'm not. Not hostility here. Wink

I think it's as likely as someone having a house fire, to be honest. There's a risk with any media, but the risk of losing digital books now is much smaller than it used to be. And it can be made even smaller through the use of backups. My books are on multiple devices just by nature of how I download them, to my laptop, then transferred to my smartphone. And I still have a dual backup of any new content to my hard drive.

There is a chance that I might lose all of that, and that some license might be pulled. But really, it's a very small chance, and costs less than an insurance policy for protecting books.

I would also note, do you have an inventory and proof of purchase of all of your paper books? Insurance will do no good if you don't have that so you can repurchase them. And what a pain, if they're out of print and hard to find. There are problems on both sides. Smile
truanifan678

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

I think it's as likely as someone having a house fire, to be honest. There's a risk with any media, but the risk of losing digital books now is much smaller than it used to be. And it can be made even smaller through the use of backups. My books are on multiple devices just by nature of how I download them, to my laptop, then transferred to my smartphone. And I still have a dual backup of any new content to my hard drive.

There is a chance that I might lose all of that, and that some license might be pulled. But really, it's a very small chance, and costs less than an insurance policy for protecting books.

I would also note, do you have an inventory and proof of purchase of all of your paper books? Insurance will do no good if you don't have that so you can repurchase them. And what a pain, if they're out of print and hard to find. There are problems on both sides. Smile

Inventory? I do. Proof of purchase? Receipts don't keep well over time and fade so.... No.

Likelyhood of digital media being pulled? JManga is the most recent example.

I agree that all of your points are valid and I believe all of my points are valid as well. Ah, a debat of opinions where both sides make sense. Truthfully, it all amounts to preference of the individual reader and what they consider to be more likely. In my personal opinion and preference, digital downloaded media isn't a great main source for my reading tendacies for the reasons I've stated. I find actual books better. That's my preference. I've used digital books and have read digital manga, but only for temporary entertainment and not for long term. I'd rather buy a book. That's just me.

The end. Wink
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This sucks I bought over 80 volumes of manga on there. Sad They had a lot of neat manga too. I wonder how I'll be getting my Yuri and Josei now. I also wonder what'll become of all the titles they licensed and translated. I hope someone picks at least some of them up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Your home owner's insurance or property insurance, assuming you have typical insurance, would cover such losses provide you have documentation. But as I said above, it's a moot point because the books won't be lost unless you're getting them from cheap fly-by-night operation that won't let you redownload them, and I haven't seen one of those since the early 00s.
Maybe in your country, but here in the UK digital property is not cover by Home and Contents insurance. Also how can one "document" 1s and 0s? A book has an ISBN number and physical copies can be replaced if still available. Most if not all insurance covers only physical property not electronic data as you can't put your hand on it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
You know, somehow I wonder if it might be a good idea to start up a "digital content DRM insurance" company.

For only, say, $100 a year, I'll insure all your digital content up to $10000 total value in the case in which you can no longer access it due to DRM systems failing or the client company shutting down...

Might be a really good idea, actually, considering this is only going to keep happening.
skaly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think it comes down to this:

If you want to own what you read, buy a physical book or DRM-free content.

If you just want access, use services like Viz or ComiXology (or better yet, a subscription service like Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited).

The more options there are, the better it is for us. And I should hope it would be better for the publishers as well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
What I find intreguing is just how profitible renting manga is as it's well known creators and copyright holders get pitance from rented videos. So maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back?
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Hopefully this will serve as another lesson to consumers if the product has DRM (in this case the DRM being restricting the users to online reading only with no possibility of DRM-free downloading), [url=http://xkcd.com/488/]you're not actually buying it - you're merely renting it for an indefinite period of time.

Yes, this might be why yuri titles were among the bigger sellers on the site, since the yuri audience was more interested in the ability to pay the creators for the work than how long into the future they would have access to the titles. As a commenter at the story at Okazu about it said:
Quote:
I viewed them as a rental library, a source of ephemera, so no DRM complaints from me.

I am sad to see them go.

I greatly appreciate the fact that they gave us a couple of months warning so we can finish reading the manga we’ve purchased with them.

skaly wrote:
Do you think it would make sense for publishers to come up with a Netflix/Hulu type model for digital manga?

Closest comic approximation I can think of is Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited service. For about $4 a month, I can have access to thousands of comics that I wouldn't particularly want to buy. Also, that model makes it more clear that I am only paying for access, not ownership.

JManga did ~ with JManga7 ~ using an idea that Crunchyroll had pitched, back when they were working as technical support for establishing the site. However by the time JManga7 was established and JManga / JManga7 rolled out their device support, they had dropped Crunchyroll for somebody else. The app was a bit wonky.

Their biggest problem was likely the lack of tentpole titles. I loved the fact that they had those interesting niche titles, but you probably need some tentpoles to cover the overheads for an operation like that.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
You know, somehow I wonder if it might be a good idea to start up a "digital content DRM insurance" company.

For only, say, $100 a year, I'll insure all your digital content up to $10000 total value in the case in which you can no longer access it due to DRM systems failing or the client company shutting down...

Might be a really good idea, actually, considering this is only going to keep happening.

The company would be bankrupt within a year, because they'd be paying out claims constantly, unable to take in the revenue to support them.

Every single DRM server has failed in time.

Worse, now we're starting to see digital content pulled without notice.

But hey, if you do start a business like this, I'll instantly sign up as your first customer. No way would I pass up $10k for $100 which will be guaranteed by the end of the year.
Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Worse, now we're starting to see digital content pulled without notice.

Yes, it would have really sucked if JManga shut down access to reading on the same day they announced they were no longer selling points.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9