• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - (114) Minutes of Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I love Summer Wars. The creative take on the internet (why does the net always look better in fiction?)

That's easy. Because it's so damn ugly in real life with all the net drama and trolling.

Megiddo wrote:
Hmmm. I haven't seen the Disgaea anime, but I wonder if it's from the same studio that did the Xenosaga anime, cause that one was also based on a popular Japanese game and suffered from some of the poorest modern animation I've seen in anime.

Really? Xenosaga had bad animation? Dang and that's still on my list of anime to watch too. I can't vouch for Disgaea. Never been a fan of the game series honestly. I actually am interested in GunxSword as it has been on my list for quite some time now.

King Kazuma from Summer Wars seems to be hideously popular for some reason. Why is that exactly? And I promise to refrain from the "because he's popular with the furries" comments.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Also, I thought the translation was pretty awful in that they didn't actually bother to translate any text that appears in the movie, and there's alot of it, and it's actually moderately important to understanding what's going on.

I'm going to disagree with this. I disable subtitling on my DVDs and if I feel a message is important, I'll rewind and enable the captions. I did not have to do this with this movie. Most of what wasn't translated isn't difficult to understand how the message played into the movie.

On topic now.

An interesting read on Gun x Sword. I couldn't help but notice the Spike comparison as well, and I'll now and forever wonder if this series was purposely created to ride the coattails of Cowboy Bebop (this isn't the first review I've seen compare the two, even if by characters only).

I'll wait to see what the collection sells for. If it's less than $20, then I'll grab it. Nothing lost at this price point.

As for the Summer Wars movie, the "review" left little to the imagination of people who haven't seen it yet, I'm afraid. It's rather surprising so much detail was spoiled in the write-up. Not that it's a thriller or the ending isn't expected, but some of the surprises just seem to spoil the potential thrills of the movie.

For example: almost arrested. Breaking the email code. Etc.

Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not complaining, especially at knowing these "spoilers" aren't rare, but this particular review seemed to give off more than usual.

I will say I'm very disappointed I will never get the chance to see this in a theater. It was made for the theater. The eye candy of Oz is purposely designed to pull in the audience, and I just don't believe any large-size digital television, with its 1080 vertical lines of pixels, is going to replace this experience.

Warner Bros. screwed this release up royally. Perhaps it's because they felt the competition from a Japanese animated story would dominate against their pathetic line-up of movies?

My copy was given to me courtesy of Zac and ANN with the subscriber give-away and I thank them both for the opportunity of owning such a movie I would never have bought on my own (for reasons I wish not to bring up in this discussion).

Perhaps another re-watch is in order this week. It was a fun movie to watch.

By the way: put me on the side of anime fandom who also misses the OVA. When done well, 90 minutes seems better than 300 in many cases.
mdreura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
spoiler[(And to the person that didn't get the grandma scene, that is called wielding influence. She was calling important people and motivating them to do what needed doing and calling in family favors to make sure that people who could be endangered by the disruption of public services would be cared for. I didn't think that was too hard to understand, even though I have never been related to anybody that had that kind of personal power. In American terms, the Jinnouchi are a lot like the Kennedys or the Rockafellers, except that they no longer have the money. Being an old samurai family means that they were part of the ruling class of Japan for several centuries and the influence of that legacy is still potent.)]

To put it another way: Grandma was social networking the old fashioned way. While Love Machine is tapping its network to disrupt traffic and utilities, Grandma's offline calling in favors as a workaround in a way that only the matriarch of a centuries old clan can do. I thought it was a clever touch actually.
TC-man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I think Gun X Sword deserves better and certainly should be a must-buy for people who loves great action & mechs; I think the show has decent plot and character development including interesting backstory of Van (the protagonist of the show), likeable characters (except The Claws, although I like his characterization including his japanese voice-actor's performance), interesting concept (including setting, theories etc.), nice character and mech designs (I really like Van's hat), while the fanservice is not as offputting like, lets say, as in Queen's Blade.

Also I would consider the price of the complete DVD box of Gun X Sword which is for around 30 bucks; that costs way less than a new PS3 game (okay, it's not blu-ray, but DVD is still fine to me). So it's certainly shelf worthy in my opinion, Gun X Sword may not be the most original show, but the execution is pretty good. And I thought the "female soaring eagle" in episode 17 was funny.

As for Summer Wars, I am one of the few who was greatly dissapointed by this movie. For someone like me, who loves The Girl who Leapt Through Time (= TGWLTT), expected more from this Movie by the same team under director Mamoru Hosoda. In my opinion Summer Wars is missing the "magic" that you can find in TGWLTT, while the plot of Summer Wars is not as coherent & interesting as in TGWLTT. Also the characterization of the protagonist in TGWLTT is way better than in Summer Wars. For example I like how the protagonist used her ability to go back in time for silly things spoiler[e.g. eating the same pudding for several times (she's so cute when she did that).] But with great power comes great responsibility.

Graphically, Summer Wars doesn't look much better than TGWLTT (which still looks really good) which is already 4 years older than Summer Wars; nonetheless Summer Wars has some stunning scenes (I don't like the CG though), but they are less memorable than the ones in TGWLTT. Summer Wars is an entertaining movie, but not a must-have in my opinion. Or at least rent it before buying would be my advice.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

An interesting read on Gun x Sword. I couldn't help but notice the Spike comparison as well, and I'll now and forever wonder if this series was purposely created to ride the coattails of Cowboy Bebop (this isn't the first review I've seen compare the two, even if by characters only).

While I neglected to address this before...there obviously was some derivative influence involved in terms of certain character designs and the general roles some cast members play, most likely on purpose, but the characters are still fairly different in context and even personality. Then again, it's not like Cowboy Bebop itself can't be described as Lupin III with an underlying plot, structurally speaking...which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
The dub is perfectly acceptable. Van is played by David Vincent, who sounds a lot like David Lucas's Spike Spiegel.

Not quite Erin.

It was Stephen Jay Blum that played as Spike. Not David Lucas.

Megiddo wrote:
Hmmm. I haven't seen the Disgaea anime, but I wonder if it's from the same studio that did the Xenosaga anime, cause that one was also based on a popular Japanese game and suffered from some of the poorest modern animation I've seen in anime.

I would not say that. I liked Disgaea. Sure the animation was was not up to snuff , but compared to the animation in the 80's and 90's this is nothing.

However Xenosaga's animation was a lot more better than Disagaea's.

As for the dub it's 50/50 to me. It's definitely average , but it's not medicore & it does have it's moments.

Though that astronaught is funny at times , he's definitely not the saving grace for either version. He's WAY TOO much of Hercule Satan who was also equally annoying. Same with his partners who was even worse.

Team Rocket were ten times more funny than those two anyday.

Over all though i liked it despite it's flaws , it's definitely average. I would have given it a rental at best. Though Xenosaga was definitely more superior than this one . that series is a definite Shelf worthy if it ever gets the funi treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
The dub is perfectly acceptable. Van is played by David Vincent, who sounds a lot like David Lucas's Spike Spiegel.

Not quite Erin.

It was Stephen Jay Blum that played as Spike. Not David Lucas.

its been said 5 times in this thread that thats an alias Steve Blum uses for non-union work, please read before you post.

as for Summer Wars, its fantastic, one of my favorite films ever made. I'm eagerly waiting for the Blu Ray Very Happy
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Watched both sub and dub of Summer Wars and loved them both. Finally found an anime I can buy and gift to my non-anime friends where I can be assured even they will enjoy all of the content without too many PC tags or child-unfriendly material.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
To put it another way: Grandma was social networking the old fashioned way. While Love Machine is tapping its network to disrupt traffic and utilities, Grandma's offline calling in favors as a workaround in a way that only the matriarch of a centuries old clan can do. I thought it was a clever touch actually.
Yup, I loved that scene... the symbolism of her dialing a phone (literally, a decades-old phone with an actual dial) while everyone she called was answering on something modern.

It might help that I grew up in Middle-of-nowhere, North Dakota, and that kind of family/community get-'r-done attitude is a bit nostalgic. (And I'm old enough to have used a dialed phone, heh.)

Now where did I put my cane...
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I watched Summer Wars last Sunday and loved it. That much of the treatment of technology is absurd didn't bother me a bit, because the movie always takes itself seriously. (In this regard Summer Wars reminded me of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, a favorite 'cult classic' movie.)

I have an adult daughter who generally refuses to watch anime because she hates everything cute, but I'm going to try to talk her into watching this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
I watched Summer Wars last Sunday and loved it. That much of the treatment of technology is absurd didn't bother me a bit, because the movie always takes itself seriously. (In this regard Summer Wars reminded me of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, a favorite 'cult classic' movie.)

I have an adult daughter who generally refuses to watch anime because she hates everything cute, but I'm going to try to talk her into watching this.

Are you serious???

She hates anime cause it's cute.

You should introduce her to anime like Hellsing or Black Lagoon. Their definitely NOT cute. Fun to watch and entertaining, BUT DEFINITELY NOT CUTE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
PingSoni wrote:

Are you serious???

She hates anime cause it's cute.

You should introduce her to anime like Hellsing or Black Lagoon. Their definitely NOT cute. Fun to watch and entertaining, BUT DEFINITELY NOT CUTE.

Initial D would be a good choice as well, nothing in that show is cute at all.

I am so glad that I have my Summer Wars BD, but I have yet to watch it. I need to wait until I feel better before I engage myself in watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
mdreura wrote:
Yup, I loved that scene... the symbolism of her dialing a phone (literally, a decades-old phone with an actual dial) while everyone she called was answering on something modern.

It might help that I grew up in Middle-of-nowhere, North Dakota, and that kind of family/community get-'r-done attitude is a bit nostalgic. (And I'm old enough to have used a dialed phone, heh.)

See, it's the opposite for me.

I expect the public officials and/or professionals to be competent enough to do their job. And that an old grandma telling them "You can do it!" or "Do you best" or whatever it is she said is completely pointless. Honestly, it was a slap in the face to me, saying that the younger generation can't do their job without the elder generation's guidance instead of being self-sufficient. It's a kind of theme that rubs me the wrong way.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
See, it's the opposite for me.

I expect the public officials and/or professionals to be competent enough to do their job. And that an old grandma telling them "You can do it!" or "Do you best" or whatever it is she said is completely pointless. Honestly, it was a slap in the face to me, saying that the younger generation can't do their job without the elder generation's guidance instead of being self-sufficient. It's a kind of theme that rubs me the wrong way.
I'd have to rewatch the scene, but I thought all the people she was just "ganbatte!"-ing were her relatives, who the younger women were calling earlier in the film... more of a "don't worry about getting home for my birthday party, do what needs to be done for the family's honor." And the more-significant calling-in-favors was mostly offscreen, other than one call we heard to some higher-up politician.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Summer Wars was [expletive] great. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5