• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Das Bootleg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
You want a kids anime with wonderful animation? Watch Akazukin Chacha. That was made in 1994 and it still looks nice.

Wonder why it was never licensed in the U.S. Cartoon Network Asia had an English dub done by Filipino voice actors. Notably, they decided to give Dorothy an English accent.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Venus_Angel9 wrote:

I would love to get the Natsume Yuujinchou ones, but have not found them anywhere outside Ebay for example (and the Madara one is waaaaaaaaaay out of my budget even there)

I know which ones you are talking about. They aren't DXF but ichiban kuji which are not available for pre-order.

It is a bit late now but they do show up on Mandarake or Rakuten. Depending on what else I want to get I often do the yahoo japan auctions. Now the thing about the auctions is they will be more expensive then the other two sites I mentioned because of proxy fees but they still tend to be cheaper than EBAY.

Although I found Mandarake to be the cheapest. I guess it is always best to look at all your options.
Quote:

Thanks for the advice anyway Anime smile I actually contemplated preordering one of those with Biginjapan last Christmas but since they need me to pay upfront and it was Christmas after all, all my money was tied up in gift giving. I'll probably use them in the future though.

Now the DXF figures should be up on BIJ. I am expecting this figure for example to be up for pre-order there. I think you are right they do ask you to pay up front but DXF tends to be on the cheaper side.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/145251

The main issue with BIJ is there prize figures sell out so quickly. I always subscribe to the figures I want on Myfigurecollection to keep up with updates so hopefully I don't miss out.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Bamboo dropped From the New World just after the second timeskip. IMO, the show finally makes good on some of the promise it showed it in those first four episodes. Though I am surprised she made it that far to begin with as the show has been a mixed-bag in quality throughout.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never bought a bootleg, but I did find a bootleg Ghost in the Shell DVD at GameStop once. I could tell it was a boot the minute I found a Yahoo e-mail address on the back cover.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I know which ones you are talking about. They aren't DXF but ichiban kuji which are not available for pre-order.

It is a bit late now but they do show up on Mandarake or Rakuten. Depending on what else I want to get I often do the yahoo japan auctions. Now the thing about the auctions is they will be more expensive then the other two sites I mentioned because of proxy fees but they still tend to be cheaper than EBAY.

Although I found Mandarake to be the cheapest. I guess it is always best to look at all your options.

Yes, I meant Ichiban Kuji. I always get those 2 confused, don't know why. I haven't tried Rakuten before, will make sure I do. And I always though the auctions would be more expensive in Japan than in Ebay. Truly eye opening.

Now the DXF figures should be up on BIJ. I am expecting this figure for example to be up for pre-order there. I think you are right they do ask you to pay up front but DXF tends to be on the cheaper side.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/145251

The main issue with BIJ is there prize figures sell out so quickly. I always subscribe to the figures I want on Myfigurecollection to keep up with updates so hopefully I don't miss out.

I actually did manage to get some DFX from Hobby search and for a discount. Sometimes miracles do happen. Very Happy

I would love to get that one too, I just love all the Natsume figurines they've been releasing.
And thanks again, I did not know you could subscribe to specific figures on Myfigurecollection. I've always just checked them out to see what was going to be released next, but I'll definitely do that from now on.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
amorphous exhausted jellyfish

You Know You've Been Reading Too Many Anime Sites When... this phrase translates in your head to "amorous exhausted jellyfish" because that word makes more sense there.

Brian wrote:
The first bump of cocaine before passing out on Jethro Tull's Party Yacht.

I would not expect a 17th-century inventor to be the party yacht sort.

here-and-faraway wrote:
(A girl blowing up water when she's cooking is pretty much a deal breaker for me too Anime smile.)

Funny that this would get brought up when Brian obliquely mentioned Lost Universe in the column... the questionable chef there blows up the kitchen every time, spoiler[but makes 5-star food while doing it (you just have to find the perfect apple pie amidst the rubble.)]

spoiler[Yes, I know he's talking about the band named after the inventor.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
EBAY does have legit figures (especially if you go with Japanese sellers) but I tend to use them as the last resort because they end up being more expensive than just importing directly from Japan. Some of the prices on EBAY are ridiculous.

And the cheap figures are 99% of the time bootlegs.

You want sold out figures try Mandarake or even Yahoo Japan auctions.

Hmm sometimes it's hard to tell though. This taiga figure I have here was bought from ebay for only 60 dollars/w shipping. I got the figure a few years back in box sealed but still thinking about it's most likely fake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually remember one bit from the Digimon movie (pretty sure it was the one second season characters during second half of the US movie) where Patamon was really strangely Photoshopped onto a live action traffic light with a real NYC BG that always looked strange to me even as a child. So frankly even the Digimon movies were a bit weird with their really rough hand style compared to the seemingly more solid TV show, granted the TV show was pretty cheap on their animation end too. I like Hosoda and I like his style of animation but I never cared for the style in the Digimon films.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
You want a kids anime with wonderful animation? Watch Akazukin Chacha. That was made in 1994 and it still looks nice.

Wonder why it was never licensed in the U.S. Cartoon Network Asia had an English dub done by Filipino voice actors. Notably, they decided to give Dorothy an English accent.

It'd have to be dub-only with changed songs, and probably changed music, since the main male character Riiya is voiced by Shingo Katori from the boy-band SMAP, who also performed the songs, and they're part of the agency Johnny's. Johnny's tight control over their properties is why Funimation's Kodocha release had to use the second OP instead of the first, and mute the Japanese audio when the first OP was used as background music, not to mention when there was a seiyuu cameo by a singer from Johnny's.

Maybe maybe it could get licensed here if Funimation thought it'd be worth doing a TV and DVD release like they did for Shin-chan, but I doubt they'd do it for a magical girl show. Might be more likely if 4kids still existed and thought it'd be a contender for TV showing, since they did Magical Doremi. Either way, your typical anime fan's highly unlikely to be buying it.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Hey! Just wanted to thank Maidenoftheredhand again. I actually tried Rakuten and inmediately found not one but 2 of the Madara Ichiban Kuji. And for an acceptable price. I mean it's not super cheap, but not 300 dollars like in Ebay. Rolling Eyes I am incredibly happy now. I had given up hope of ever finding this.

I also found this site I didn't know existed. Has anyone use it before? Apparently they let you know when items are restocked in several stores and stuff like that. I haven't had time to check it out in detail yet.

http://www.figinstock.com/
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
just buy figures from reliable websites, there will be any bootleg.
For Ebay, the safest bet is to buy from Japan seller.
CR is selling figures now, I haven't buy anything from then yet, but i'm pretty sure they won't sell bootleg.

If a Figure is selling for $150 every where. You see people selling it for $50, just don't buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3