• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RDG: Red Data Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Enh, I'm up to episode 9 now through the Funi streams and I'm not seeing as big a problem. (Although episode 9 does clarify some points a bit.) Yeah, I'll agree that the series has consistently put more weight on things than what it's justified so far, but I actually like the vague sense of unease that this approach promotes. Most series would so fail to pull that off that they would look stupid in the attempt, but this one is mixing in just the right touch of classical Japanese mysticism to keep me intrigued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I might as well post this now, but my brother kind of came up with a theory that I am not quite sure if it works or not. He said that since the Goddess might actually be spoiler[Izumiko from the future going back to the past multiple times], what if another character could be too? Like the coincidence that the kid who is working to win looks mysteriously like spoiler[Wamiya. Wamiya apparently has some history as an ally to the Goddess, and it looks like the competition may be to decide who will work with the Goddess]. What if they are in fact the spoiler[same person from different time where the kid ended up winning the competition]?
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Enh, I'm up to episode 9 now through the Funi streams and I'm not seeing as big a problem. (Although episode 9 does clarify some points a bit.) Yeah, I'll agree that the series has consistently put more weight on things than what it's justified so far, but I actually like the vague sense of unease that this approach promotes. Most series would so fail to pull that off that they would look stupid in the attempt, but this one is mixing in just the right touch of classical Japanese mysticism to keep me intrigued.

I agree totally! I actually enjoy this style of storytelling. Things happen and there is no explanation. What we know is what one of the two protagonists, Izumiko or Miyuki, knows. (Most often Izumiko, but there in the instances where she is possessed and Miyuki gains knowledge, we get that too.) It enhances the sense of mystery and adds to the atmosphere, and if there is anything that this show excels in other than scenery, it is atmosphere. It is palpable and exquisite! This could very well move into the ranks of my favorite shows ever if the ending is good. The fact that it is a complete story in novel form gives me high hopes.

Rewatching episodes 6-8 in preparation for my next blog post (yes, I'm way behind), I noticed that they actually introduced the concept of spoiler[the nine-head dragon] in the tourist narration on the bus on the way to Mount Togakushi. I really don't think I paid attention to the prattling tourist info on the first pass. I was surprised that I'd missed it. In fact, all of the shrines and historical locales that appear in the show are real, including the next one, Odawara Castle. I love that they even tied the name of the school to a historical event, since the school is located close to the site of the fall of the Late Hōjō Clan and the end of the Sengoku period. The late Sengoku period was also the height of the influence of the "Warrior Monks" in terms of politics. It is all very well tied together.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

That kid sure was smug, spoiler[manipulating luck, setting up barriers, creating spirit agents, filling the school with ghosts, and hypnotising Izumiko and possibly other students]. It was rather interesting seeing Izumiko acting spoiler[a little off with listening to them a little too easily]. But at the end, who knew spoiler[Izumiko could be so cool without being the Goddess]. I really enjoyed her spoiler[putting him in his place by saying how much she disagreed with him and getting rightfully angry at him trying to control her while he started to cower]. You go girl. Well it did feel familiar for some reason.

Also it seems that Mayura spoiler[knows, or has known the truth about Izumiko]. Although I was more interested in it sounding like Mayura's reason for spoiler[not wanting to get married was because she is in love with her brother]. Perhaps I just had my spoiler[incest] goggles on when reading that though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09

Hmmmm T_____T

"This displeases me. That displeases me. If you make me unhappy, you will be punished."

Is it me or does this goddess come off as some "holier than thou", high and mighty, snobby bitch?

spoiler[GIVE IZUMIKO BACK HER BODY, HOE.]
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Episode 09

Hmmmm T_____T

"This displeases me. That displeases me. If you make me unhappy, you will be punished."

Is it me or does this goddess come off as some "holier than thou", high and mighty, snobby bitch?

spoiler[GIVE IZUMIKO BACK HER BODY, HOE.]

The implication, of course, is that the Goddess spoiler[is actually Izumiho herself from another time-line, gone back to try and change her fate.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I think she can make a credible case for "holier than thou."
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Anyone find that the start of events from the end of episode 9 to episode 10's start looked a bit sloppy in narration? Episode 9 ends with spoiler[Miyuki embracing Izumiko to return her to normal.] The next, spoiler[Izumiko is angsting and knows of her connection to the goddess, with no flashback revealing what happened with her after she returns to normal.]

I'm starting to get to the point where I think this series, while still decent, is cramming a bit too many story elements for one to keep track of or to question the relevance of for the title's main storyline (such as what is revealed about spoiler[the kami in Izumiko [time travel, seriously? Rolling Eyes ]] in episode 9).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed the inelegant transition from eppie 9 to 10, myself. In fact, I went back and rewatched the end of eppie 9 just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I hadn't.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
That's why I checked this thread out to see if it was just me that was going, wait, what? at the begining of episode 10. The final scene in episode 9 was full of emotional possibilities that were just tossed out the window. There's all kinds of ways to tell a story, but you don't resolve a cliff-hanger by skipping on to the next scene and never acknowledging it.

Maybe they're trying to let us know how Izumiko feels when she wakes up after a possession and is left wondering what just happened because no one ever tells her anything.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I think something just got cut, as Izumiko is quite aware of having caused Miyuki distress.

This one seems to be scheduled for 12 episodes, and at this point I don't see how it even comes close to finishing its story in that time. My fear is that it's going the Spice and Wolf route, where the anime version just adapts the first few novels (apparently three in this case, as there seem to be three distinct story arcs here) and then stops because it doesn't prove popular enough to animate the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, they said she gains awareness of what happened as time goes by, but doesn't remember anything right away. Clearly plenty of time went by that we weren't privy to for her to make those comments, but narrative disconnects like this is what is keeping me at a distance with this series. I just can't establish any resonance with it at all, the way they keep jerking me around time and location-wise. Not to mention how Izumiko's personality keeps see-sawing between finally showing some backbone and being everyone's passive doormat. That would be ok if it seemed to be connected to possessions or anything I could pin down, but it just feels like whatever character growth she achieves gets ignored five minutes later, only because the next scene needs her to be a wimp.

I'll stick it out to the end, but if this were 24-26 episodes, I'd drop it right now, because I'm kind of fed up after episode 10.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
I agree with you, Key, it's hard to see how this can be wrapped up in a satisfying way in just one episode. I certainly hope it gets a second season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I noticed the inelegant transition from eppie 9 to 10, myself. In fact, I went back and rewatched the end of eppie 9 just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I hadn't.

Dang I'm glad you posted that because I didn't go back to review what happened in Episode 9 because funimation's servers have been so unreliable I wasn't sure I would be able to restart episode 10 when I wanted. Someone needs to beat the continuity director with soba noodles.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote

The school festival continues.
I like the theme, it's different and nice.
It was also nice watching them have normal festival problems.
Izumiko is still a scaredy cat. That girl needs to find some courage.
Hope thing will be more interesting next time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10