• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RDG: Red Data Girl (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote

RDG: Red Data Girl
Genres: Fantasy

Plot summary:

Quote:
The story is about a 15 year old girl named Izumiko Suzuhara. She was born and raised at Tamakura Shrine, and always destroys any electrical device she touches. She decides to try living in the city, and enrolls in Hōjō High School in Tokyo. With her are her guardians son and Izumiko's childhood friend Miyuki Sagara. While she's there, an entity called "Himegami" appears. She learns she something called a "kami" a vessel for a shinto spirit, while Miyuki is a "yamabushi", a warrior meant to protect the "kami."

Episode 1/Preview episode 1
I just watched the first episode and would say so far that is okay although not too exciting imo. Suzuhara seems to be quite a shy girl but more so, it seems that her powers relates to spoiler[technology]. So I guess spoiler[Sagara] is forced to protect her also.

The part with the water and computers was weird. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to more development to this series and Suzuhara's origins because based on a brief scene of her spoiler[childhood], it didn't seem to be too pleasant.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the regular run of this series officially starts on April 3rd. The NicoNico stream that Stark700 is referring to is a preview showing of the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I guess I checked it out too before its regular release. I would probably say I was getting a little bit worried from the OP as it gave of vibes a certain anime involving a princess and her male protectors, but when I saw that it is being handled by P.A. Works.

Wasn't a bad first episode, it might count as one of those first episodes where you know they told you a bunch of things, but their main focus was on setting the atmosphere. Oddly if I had to compare it to another P.A. Works title, I would probably say Another, whithout the heavy mystery and horror aspects, although that sounds like what Another mostly is.

I like Izumiko, the braids and red glasses gave her a cute appearance, although it looks like the glasses will go from her character design for some reason. She seemed timid in a way that felt sympathetic, and she did not quite feel like the reverse harem lead that I expected, except when looking at that one kid who liked her haircut. Miyuki on the other hand, I don't care if he got spoiler[beaten up by his controling father], he was being very rude and generally being an asshole, that bit of his past did not help. I hope he does not become the major romantic interest.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 1

Not a bad start. It kept me interested in the nature of her powers which are apparently based on Shintoism. I'm probably the only one who thought of Yuki from Tsuritama when spoiler[the classroom was "underwater" while Suzuhara was talking with her Dad.]

This isn't too important but I liked the scene where she's starting to feel 'under pressure', they included the line from her friend that she should "start being normal". It might seem like advice, but I took it as an insult to Suzuhara's introverted nature. I agree that Miyuki's an ass but I want to know why his Dad spoiler[is abusing him. That beatdown was no ordinary 'tough love']. Did something happened during the five-ten year gap or is he using Miyuki to up his status? I think there might be a relationship brewing with Suzu and Satoru (the guy with the bowl cut) but what, I can't say for sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
Just watched first eppie this morning. I liked it. I'm glad that obnoxious tool got his ass kicked. I hope it happens more. Better still, I hope he becomes infatuated with Suzuhara and then she tells him to go stuff himself.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just watched first eppie this morning. I liked it. I'm glad that obnoxious tool got his ass kicked. I hope it happens more. Better still, I hope he becomes infatuated with Suzuhara and then she tells him to go stuff himself.

You know Satoru, the male lead from Shinsekai Yori?

I'm pretty sure the male lead here will have the same development and he won't stay that obnoxious for long...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Sure this will be a TV anime and not an ONA? Nico Nico has a second episode of RDG up now that I just watched.

Looks like spoiler[Miyuki is starting to show some signs of concern for Izumiko upon learning of her rather unique situation, being living host for a goddess and all.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm about to check out the second episode, the first was good enough for me to keep watching.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first episode. Really interested in seeing where things go. The animation's nothing amazing, but I like the character designs overall, and the show itself looks really nice. There's a lot of interesting characterization going on as well, and if handled right, could be pretty great.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
So far in this series, Wamiya-kun imo has been the mysterious person. Seriously, I can't read him.

Regardless though, I find the scene on the spoiler[airplane] to be more strange. For literally a second, I thought her powers might of gone out of control. So, I'm getting this more feeling of intensity that I didn't feel from the first episode this time. In other words, I like this episode much better.

Anyways, the spoiler[raining scene at night was kinda tense]. More so though is Suzuhara later on. I am now a bit more interested in this series. Yup, definitely.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
By the looks of it, episodes of Red Data Girl are gonna be streamed online first via Nico Nico and then air on Japanese TV a few weeks after their online premiere date.

Here's the source I've come across for it in Japanese and a translation for those not good with reading kana.

If this is the case, would this make the series an ONA instead of a TV anime since the online release comes first?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
An interesting series, This can be a dark series.The father beats up his son when Miyuki doesn't want to work for Izumiko .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Sure this will be a TV anime and not an ONA?

According to the ANN Encyclopedia, RDG begins its regular TV broadcast run on April 03 on Tokyo MX. It's not unheard of for the first eppie of a show to be previewed, but it is kind of unusual for two to be made available, I think. Not sure what that's about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
Well.

Episode 2

spoiler[Lightning storms, flickering lights, and even starting off with the train] were all a good job at gaining tension, as was even having the flight bit. I just have to mirror what I said of this feeling a lot like Another, this won't be horror, but something tells me that there may be something big in the third episode. It feels like they keep teasing with us about something, and I can name a couple series that decide to get the aidience with that sort of thing in the third episode.

It does look like we may have some answers, apparently Suzuhara is able spoiler[to be possessed by a god of some sort. I might even take it that what she was afraid of may have been various levels of things that may possess her]. And the fact she was spoiler[afraid of that one guy, then wasn't] seems to raise some questions of what his deal is. At least the jerk is a little nicer though.

And while I am at it, the opening and closing are boring.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
According to the ANN Encyclopedia, RDG begins its regular TV broadcast run on April 03 on Tokyo MX.

Which is over three weeks after the first episode's streaming on Nico Nico, meaning that my speculative theory still holds some water.

Quote:
It's not unheard of for the first eppie of a show to be previewed, but it is kind of unusual for two to be made available, I think. Not sure what that's about.

If Nico Nico streams the third episode next weekend, then I guess it proves this baby's streaming episodes online before going on TV. Wouldn't be that unheard of as Xam'd Lost Memories aired online first a while back and premiered on Japanese TV months later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10