• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RDG: Red Data Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
I find the song strangely grating, although at the same time I feel that they fit in well.

I feel the same way. Anime hyper
Yokan is probably my least disliked song by her....but I'm not a fan of her.

Her songs seem to play on being mellow, melancholic and being a little too high pitched. I would probably say that on average with her songs the melancholy sound makes me feel sleepy, while the high pitch hurts my ears. I do find that she kind of downplayed the other two to make the mellowness a shine in more which probably makes Yokan easier to listen to.

About the country bumpkin thing, I guess I might see that, but it still makes me cute. Hmm country bumpkin, oh my I think I just rediscovered a buried fetish. No, don't think that about the cute pale pigtailed glasses girl. Need to think about something else. Great! Now I am thinking about ghost triplet. Thanks a lot imagination.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm not sure why but it seems that long braids are associated with 'country bumpkin' in Japan.

Not sure why? Think Pipi Longstocking.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I can't believe anybody would dare mention RDG and Hiiro no Kakera in the same breath.

* Waif like shrine maiden girl with undeveloped powers? Check.
* Nonetheless some training. Check.
* Isolated temple with full living facilities in rustic setting? Check.
* Hereditary massive well established religious support organization? Check.
* Oddly distant parents? Check.
* Hottie male guardians? Check.
* One of the hottie male guardians is reluctant? Check.
* One of the hottie male guardians is inept/underpowered? Check.
* Hottie male guardian that kneels? Check.
* Quasi-sinister magic organization add odds with the shrine maiden's people? Check.
* Pissed off mountain god? Check.
* Mysterious government organization with smarmy agent? Not yet -- wait for it.
* Artifacts. Want to lay bets?
* Syrupy post episode monologues guaranteed to make your teenage heart go pitter patter (aka doki doki)? OMG WE ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT HERE.
* Goth loli superpower? As before -- wait for it.
* Fate of the world in the balance of what the shrine maiden girl does? Check.

AND we are only 4 episodes in.

Key wrote:
..., I otherwise completely agree with Blood-'s statement. One only needs to watch about five minutes of each to realize which one is the immensely better of the two.

I defy you to write a review of this one without mentioning HnK. If you do, it will take an act of deliberate suppression on your part. And would you care to go on record as to whether you think this will end up in a "poofy" moment at the end of this or not?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Those are incredibly facile common elements and do not even begin to describe the difference in tone, story-telling, and quality between the two shows. Iron Man is a super hero movie. So is Batman Returns. Doesn't mean there is any requirement to mention both in the same breath.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I defy you to write a review of this one without mentioning HnK. If you do, it will take an act of deliberate suppression on your part. And would you care to go on record as to whether you think this will end up in a "poofy" moment at the end of this or not?

Oh, I'd probably have to bring up HnK, since there are a trio of key similarities: both are from lineages of spiritually-powered individuals, both are imbued with the essences of immensely powerful princess figures that sometimes take over their consciousnesses, and both prominently involve isolated mountainside shrines. Beyond that, though, your comparisons are either stretching or outright inaccurate. (Where's the sinister enemy organization, for instance?) One is a harem story about an outgoing girl coming in from the outside and being brought into (one could say trapped into) a spiritual situation involving securing an artifact, one where the girl is surrounded by bishonen who exist for the primary purpose of being bishonen love interests. The other is about a shy, anxiety-ridden girl who has been carefully sheltered her whole life but is now trying to break out of a role she's always been trapped in. The basic structures of the two shows are different. Their magical mechanics are different. Their tones are very different; I find RDG to often be outright creepy, and that's not something that you can ever say about HnK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I never even thought about HnK until it was mentioned here. Admittedly, I watched very little of it, but I don't think it would be strange to not see it mentioned in a review.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I'm not sure why but it seems that long braids are associated with 'country bumpkin' in Japan.

Not sure why? Think Pipi Longstocking.

Well, Miyazaki wanted to do a film on it, apparently.
But that CAN'T be the only reason....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So the ghost brother spoiler[was part of a snake wolf god]?

And Miyuki is spoiler[partially possessed by Wamiya who is a crow god]?
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ep. 8

Okay, this one cemented the impression I was coming to: this show is awesome, but it would be nice if it cared that people were watching it.

spoiler[So ghost brother Masumi was never really their ghost brother, he was a fragment of a god? Wow. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

But the one that's really blowing my mind is that Wamiya showed up again and somehow joined with Miyuki --- off-camera!? Seriously!? I think Izumi is the viewpoint character in such a way that you can't just cut away to stuff she wasn't there for, but she should have been there for that; unless they do something serious to redeem it, leaving her out of the loop was just a weak narrative decision, and having her be there would have been worth way more than the moment of "wings, nifty!" that we got in return. But yeah, I don't know where they're going to go with it, it could turn out well...]

Not related to this ep, but I become more and more curious why Takayanagi is juxtaposed with a white dog in the OP.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 just streamed from funi.

I must say the artwork of the sets in this anime are astounding. I feel like I just toured the best of Japan in the best season. The character designs are very pleasing as well.

As for the story, I am almost fully lost. The Student Body Council's executive committee seems to have more politics than the French Parliament.

Can someone explain why Sagara decided to join the Executive Council? He said it was because of their "neutrality" but why would that attract him?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy I'd love to explain it to you, but I have no idea. I learned that I've been drinking fruit punch incorrectly all of these years, though.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

It was fun watching them on their little trip.
Everyone was having fun and relaxing.
Suzuhara was so funny in her drunken state ^^
Looks like that state helped her chat with Masumi.
Things got slightly complicated at the shrine.
Suzuhara can really be clueless sometimes *sigh*
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

As for the story, I am almost fully lost. The Student Body Council's executive committee seems to have more politics than the French Parliament.

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one. Anime hyper

.......this is probably a show I'll have to watch a couple times to understand everything....Anime dazed

.........drunken Izumiko. LMAO....why offer that stuff to a minor in the first place!? Totally called it too.
Izu: *eats four servings*
Me:....they're focusing too much on this...something's up with it....
Izu: ^____^ I feel so good! Bwahaha!
Me: o____O IT'S SPIKED!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Those of you on episode 6 feeling pretty lost. Don't expect it to get much clearer, I was actually more confused by the end of episode 7, and episode 8 thing seemed to come out of nowhere without a clear explanation. The show needs to be clearer with what is happening.

The spoiler[punch] was great though, just rehashing what I wrote earlier.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
yeah, story wise, im lost as well, but it's a beautiful show and I like most of the characters, so that's good enough for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10