• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Weird Anime Marketing Campaigns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Lol @ hangers. I haven't heard about that before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
& yet only in japan/anime world you can find these things.

sure from anime pillow, anime food designs, to even tank cakes http://static.metanorn.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Girls-und-Panzer-05-RAW-0041.jpg

oh yea anime marketing are full of everything of all kinds to make on it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Even if that water cooler doesn't promote an anime--and if it does, I certainly haven't seen it--I think that it should be mentioned in this list. It doesn't feel right to have only 7 things on the list to me anyhow. I seem to remember 8 being more common, but I haven't checked the ANN history to confirm.

I had eight originally, but when I sat down to write one entry, I realized that the item was likely fanmade and not official merchandise. So it was cut. I wonder if readers can guess what it is:

It's related to the My Sexual Harassment yaoi OAV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I had eight originally, but when I sat down to write one entry, I realized that the item was likely fanmade and not official merchandise. So it was cut. I wonder if readers can guess what it is:

It's related to the My Sexual Harassment yaoi OAV.

And you can find it in the produce aisle. Wink
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I always thought character perfume and curry was weird for some animes too Very Happy
[/url]
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The hangars actually sound clever, especially if you can get ones that hold pants, too.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
Scented motor oil? What the hell? How does that even work?

ZakuConvoy wrote:

That last one is just plain disturbing. I've heard of all of the other Hello Kitty things on that list, but that one... wtf.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Why would you scent motor oil?! Shocked Does it make your exhaust smell moe?
Well if one is going to lock one's self in the garage with the engine running one might as well have a nice fragrance before exiting this world. I'd get a few raised eye brows if I bought a jug of that at me local factor's, I can tell you. Laughing

I hate it when I get behind a diesel Ford Transit van that's burning precessed chip frying oil. The smell of cooking chips makes my mouth water and I want to pull over at the next burgers and chips caravan parked at a lay-by, or eat the van. Laughing
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
Actually, most of the hangers you showed were fake. They were fan creations after REAL Oda Nobuna's Ambition hangers showed up on Amazon.jp.

And I'm looking most forward to Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live. DUUUH.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
How isn't the K-ON franchise as a whole number one? I mean, what bit of K-ON merch WASN'T there?

I mean, there was K-ON! pet food bowls for crying out loud. Want your dog to lick food off Mugi's face? Now you can!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
^
Given that pets aren't allowed in most apartment buildings in Japan, and given certain . . . proclivities in the Otaku fanbase, I wonder if it isn't the fans themselves that would be buying the pet food bowls for their own use.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

That character on the water cooler perplexes me as I don't understand its "true age": the character has bust, but yet doesn't appear to be "matured", especially the face.

While large chests in younger females are rare, they're not unheard of, especially with anime characters(anybody remember Pokemon?).

Actually, ya guys wanna hear a funny real-life story? This was some years ago. We saw a guy struggling looking for something on a low shelf near the ground, with his little girl just standing next to him, but it was taking him quite awhile, so we came over to ask him if he may need some help. With his head still buried looking on the shelf, the little girl started talking for him.

Now this little petite girl couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old, about 3-1/2 ft tall, and once she started talking ya could clearly see she still has her crooked tiny baby teeth on. But then, since she's wearing a thin sleeveless camisole-like T-shirt, ya also could clearly discern, especially from our high angle, that she already has noticeable breasts (and I mean real noticeable) protruding up the shirt. T'was quite awkward because we kept looking at the dad to continue the conversation, but he kept letting his daughter talk for him instead; yet neither of us wanted to stare at her. Guess some girls are just blessed? Laughing
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

This is a water cooler.

Guess how ya get water?

Well I better not show you where the lemonade is made
Sweet Lemonade, Mmm Sweet lemonade
Sweet lemonade, yeah sweet lemonade
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
ZakuConvoy wrote:
I actually decided to look up what the Hello Kitty Death card looks like and found it. It's...surprisingly cute. Also, it was on a list with much, much worse Hello Kitty items (WARNING, NSFW):

http://www.hellokittyuniverse.com/page/Indecent+Hello+Kitty+Products

Those...last two items. Embarassed
Well No. 10 would be useful when a guy is in his car and gets a flat tyre on a dark night on a dark road and he finds his torch light batteries are dead.
ZakuConvoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4