• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_fan_88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
Hi Smile

I have 2 questions:

1- Is there a discussion thread for One Piece and Naruto / Naruto Shippudden

anime series?

2- If I have a question about an anime, do I ask it here or in it's own discussion thread?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The series discussion index is here, and anime-specific questions would go in the appropriate thread. That said, neither of those two sees much discussion. You might have better luck in the episode review threads (One Piece and Naruto)
Ceiis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
This is going to be a tough one: I need help finding an anime that I only saw a few minutes of the first episode. I'll give you the best description that I can of what I remember of it, but it's not much to go on:

Guy's sitting in a white room on his computer, and besides him on the wall is a really large (takes up most of the wall) monitor on his right hand side (I think). A computer program that's represented by a girl is on the monitor.

I cannot for the life of me remember anything else about it. It's been bugging me for the past year or so, I've tried searching for it, and now I've finally broke down and decided to ask for help in finding it. Any suggestions that could help me find this anime would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure it's Mekakucity Actors you're looking for.
Ceiis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Ding Ding Ding!

You are correct, thank you so much for helping me find this. A thousand blessings, you're awesome, high five!

Man, that's been bugging me. What a relief. Going to go dance around in my room a bit and then go watch it. Anime smile

Thanks again!
LetMeLive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Looking for what I assume is an OVA

When I was young (probably 10) I was at my aunt's in the sticks and my older cousin was looking after me for the day. We went into town, and he rented an anime I never could have possibly imagined before. (keep in mind, this was back in the 90's).

It was scifi and it was amazing. Was a fairly heavy show for a young kid at the time. Unfortunately, I never could find it or remember enough details to search it out.

This is what I remember about it:

Scifi
Most action happens in space
There are some big space ships involved
Most important detail (and premise/major part of the plot) - main character has this crazy cyberpunk style implant in... his? her? hand (honestly forget the lead)

Anyone able to help?
pibburns

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:

Scifi
Most action happens in space
There are some big space ships involved
Most important detail (and premise/major part of the plot) - main character has this crazy cyberpunk style implant in... his? her? hand (honestly forget the lead)

Could be Space Adventure Cobra the movie. A couple of different VHS versions came out in the 90s. The edition produced by Carl Macek for Streamline would be the most likely version for you to have seen in the U.S. Discotek released DVD and Bluray versions of this within the past few years. Related episodic series have been released by Nozomi and Sentai in the past few years as well.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I only remember a small clip of this anime I’m looking for and this is at best an approximation of what actually happened...

A group of characters are sitting on a porch after a long day of cleaning up or fixing a large house. They all simultaneously take a sip of green tea and sigh contentedly. The “foreign” (American?) character in the show laughs and ask what is it about Japanese people and green tea.

I thought it could’ve been Ai Yori Aoshi but I couldn’t seem to find the clip when I looked :/
LetMeLive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
pibburns wrote:

Could be Space Adventure Cobra the movie.

Looked into that on your suggestion. Unfortunately, this film was much more "Ghost in the Shell" style. Serious plot, very "lifelike" animation.

The embedded item in the main characters hand is probably the defining bit of the movie, its an egg shaped crystal with tons of filaments implanted into the persons hand. Quite distinct.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:

[...]The embedded item in the main characters hand is probably the defining bit of the movie, its an egg shaped crystal with tons of filaments implanted into the persons hand. Quite distinct.

That sounds vaguely familiar. Was it an American English-dubbed VHS?
LetMeLive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:

That sounds vaguely familiar. Was it an American English-dubbed VHS?

I was suuuuuppppeeeer young at the time, animation style is definitely pre-digital editing, and it was before I had a XBOX, so it is definitely pre-200. The vibe I remember is late 80's, early 90's anime style, not "cartoony" at all. I am pretty positive it was english-dubbed, it definitely was VHS as it was from a video store and I would have paid zero attention to anything subbed at that age (dub scrub for life apparently).
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:
I was suuuuuppppeeeer young at the time, animation style is definitely pre-digital editing, and it was before I had a XBOX, so it is definitely pre-200. The vibe I remember is late 80's, early 90's anime style, not "cartoony" at all. I am pretty positive it was english-dubbed, it definitely was VHS as it was from a video store and I would have paid zero attention to anything subbed at that age (dub scrub for life apparently).

Was it Lensman? It only had a VHS release.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't the 1998 animation Invasion: America? I remember the protagonist had some kind of weird hand deal going on.
LetMeLive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:

Was it Lensman? It only had a VHS release.

So, I don't know what to say. This totally has the hand thing I was thinking of, but I do not remember the rest of the movie being like this! I've added it to my must watch list regardless as it looks like a classic (1984! Wow!)

Thank you so much! But... Would there be ANYTHING else like this, except again, more noir/ghost in the shell-esque? I swear I vivdly remember a scene where the protagonist holds up his/her hand and gets enveloped in light "magical girl" transformation style. I skimmed the Lensman movie already and didn't see anything like that. Imagine the hand thing as being more metallic, more edgy.

I could just be crossing anime as we're talking probably two decades ago I saw it. But it was very gritty (which at the time, being a young kid, kind of freaked me out) but now seems like it would be awesome to watch.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
LetMeLive wrote:
So, I don't know what to say. This totally has the hand thing I was thinking of, but I do not remember the rest of the movie being like this! I've added it to my must watch list regardless as it looks like a classic (1984! Wow!)

Thank you so much! But... Would there be ANYTHING else like this, except again, more noir/ghost in the shell-esque? I swear I vivdly remember a scene where the protagonist holds up his/her hand and gets enveloped in light "magical girl" transformation style. I skimmed the Lensman movie already and didn't see anything like that. Imagine the hand thing as being more metallic, more edgy.

I could just be crossing anime as we're talking probably two decades ago I saw it. But it was very gritty (which at the time, being a young kid, kind of freaked me out) but now seems like it would be awesome to watch.

Was the implant part of a metallic claw, a power suit, or just in the hand like Lensman?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 546 of 569