• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
richard.bercich wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew the title of an anime (series or movie). From what I remember there is an island in the Bermuda Triangle where vehicles air and sea were landed on the island. The adults on those craft were transformed into children by two dragons protecting it. There was then a child (female I believe) who had the power to transform into a young adult who went to the island to rescue her parents. She was unaffected by the powers/dragons on the island turning adults to children. The last thing I remember was the Navy attacking the island and her trying to break in and lift the curse/magic.

Possibly Magical Princess Minky Momo: Yume no naka no Rondo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Princess_Minky_Momo

Ordell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Copying the Brits would make sense. Japan greatly admired the British empire and took many cues from them.
Rodimus_2316

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I recall watching it in the early-to-mid 90's on VHS (or SciFi Channel, or some station that was featuring anime sometimes at the time). From what I remember: It was about this kid who's home planet was to be destroyed (by aliens or something). Two or more ships escaped, on with this young man/kid and one or more others, and another with his Dad and his little robot assistant. The ship with the Dad and robot is destroyed, and the kid goes on some adventures, including navigating through some 3D computer maze with balls w/ spikes in it. That's all I remember. Please help, if you can. I'd like to get this movie and watch it again, I remember really liking it.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
gm286 wrote:
Anyone who can help me figure this out will have quite a huge impact in my collective memory, as this is the one and only scene out of any anime series which has stayed anchored in my mind for more than a decade. No trace exists outside of it, other than it. No references, since I know little to nothing else about anime. But if I find this anime, I will watch this series.

I was very young at the time. Somewhere on TV, someone flipped the channel and an anime was playing, so my attention went towards the scene.

It was a dark night. And suddenly, a girl is being walked in to a house by a friend I think. It seems everything is ordinary - maybe the girl is lonely, or her thoughts are elsewhere. As she walks into the house, suddenly everyone in the house screams "SURPRISE!!" and/or "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" (...) the girl is so shocked by this in a moment's silence. She dashes out of the house with her face expressionless, leaving everyone clueless. I think there was an overly tall but friendly looking guy in the room too.

We see her running, speeding outside of the house. It is night and it is amidst nature and the forestry. She looks up at the stars/sky and says with emotion and tears in her eye: "Thank you... Thank you so much for giving me friends like these." Or something much to that effect if not exactly that.

If this gives anyone even so much as a hint to what the show might be, do let me know!!!! Smile

I'd like to point out this hasn't been answered and I happen to want to know what that anime is as well
pibburns

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
richard.bercich wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew the title of an anime (series or movie). From what I remember there is an island in the Bermuda Triangle where vehicles air and sea were landed on the island. The adults on those craft were transformed into children by two dragons protecting it. There was then a child (female I believe) who had the power to transform into a young adult who went to the island to rescue her parents. She was unaffected by the powers/dragons on the island turning adults to children. The last thing I remember was the Navy attacking the island and her trying to break in and lift the curse/magic.

Possibly Magical Princess Minky Momo: Yume no naka no Rondo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Princess_Minky_Momo

I concur. My old VHS tape, entitled "The Magical Princess GIGI" copyright 1987 by Harmony Gold, was released in 1990 by Celebrity Home Entertainment. You can probably find a used VHS copy for sale as it appears to have been a popular enough title.

Perhaps this OVA/movie may see a reissue now that the related television series is being re-released by William Winckler Productions and Production Reed in English dub-only format through Amazon video.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Rodimus_2316 wrote:
I recall watching it in the early-to-mid 90's on VHS (or SciFi Channel, or some station that was featuring anime sometimes at the time). From what I remember: It was about this kid who's home planet was to be destroyed (by aliens or something). Two or more ships escaped, on with this young man/kid and one or more others, and another with his Dad and his little robot assistant. The ship with the Dad and robot is destroyed, and the kid goes on some adventures, including navigating through some 3D computer maze with balls w/ spikes in it. That's all I remember. Please help, if you can. I'd like to get this movie and watch it again, I remember really liking it.

Sounds like Lensman to me. I think it was only ever released on VHS.

anime#2043
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Please reveal this anime to me. I want to watch it. I am pining to watch it.......
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
^Hikari14

Did you forget to include something in your post?
Or are you commenting on a previous post?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
gm286 wrote:
Anyone who can help me figure this out will have quite a huge impact in my collective memory, as this is the one and only scene out of any anime series which has stayed anchored in my mind for more than a decade. No trace exists outside of it, other than it. No references, since I know little to nothing else about anime. But if I find this anime, I will watch this series.

I was very young at the time. Somewhere on TV, someone flipped the channel and an anime was playing, so my attention went towards the scene.

It was a dark night. And suddenly, a girl is being walked in to a house by a friend I think. It seems everything is ordinary - maybe the girl is lonely, or her thoughts are elsewhere. As she walks into the house, suddenly everyone in the house screams "SURPRISE!!" and/or "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" (...) the girl is so shocked by this in a moment's silence. She dashes out of the house with her face expressionless, leaving everyone clueless. I think there was an overly tall but friendly looking guy in the room too.

We see her running, speeding outside of the house. It is night and it is amidst nature and the forestry. She looks up at the stars/sky and says with emotion and tears in her eye: "Thank you... Thank you so much for giving me friends like these." Or something much to that effect if not exactly that.

If this gives anyone even so much as a hint to what the show might be, do let me know!!!! Smile

I'd like to point out this hasn't been answered and I happen to want to know what that anime is as well

^I am referring to that.
Rodimus_2316

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
Rodimus_2316 wrote:

Sounds like Lensman to me. I think it was only ever released on VHS.

anime#2043

You're right. It was Lenseman: The Secret of the Lens.

Thanks! Smile
Madzack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Anyone heard of a 90s anime about a Japanese cyborg salaryman who has spike hair, Gendou Ikari glasses and throws decks of weaponized business cards like he's Gambit?
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Madzack wrote:
Anyone heard of a 90s anime about a Japanese cyborg salaryman who has spike hair, Gendou Ikari glasses and throws decks of weaponized business cards like he's Gambit?

Possibly Kigyō Senshi Yamazaki, which is based on a manga by Tomizawa Jun?

Hikari14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
I give up. Be like that and ignore my request, see if I care. I will find it myself then. Mad
Madzack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Madzack wrote:

Possibly Kigyō Senshi Yamazaki, which is based on a manga by Tomizawa Jun?

Yeah, that's the one!

Thanks!!
Hikari14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I am asking for the last time, anyone knows what this anime is?

Here is the description for those of you who can't be bothered to scroll up:

Please help me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 500 of 569