• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion and other inspirations for Pacific Rim.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons why people may see Evangelion influences in Pacific Rim is because Evangelion itself was influenced by the super robot shows that came before it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. Anno did it before with Gunbuster, referencing Aim for the Ace!, Danguard Ace, and some Ideon. Evangelion was mostly radical for its reversal of the hero, making him an ultra wimpy kid with severe depression, not the big tough dude like Go Nagai, or the typical coming of age Gundam hero. Robots punching monsters in the face is over two decades older than Evangelion, and that's what Del Toro would have grown up watching as a child. The pseudo rocket punches, the extending-wrists, the missiles/fire from the chest – all easily traceable to 70s robot anime, specifically Mazinger Z. I'm not gonna give Del Toro any shit for borrowing what anime creators borrow from each other routinely. I hope he can make more films like this.

I hope this film kills in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3