• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Australian Politics 2013 - Ruined Forever

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
RUINED FOREVER

Welcome to conversation on the upcoming 2013 federal election, not usually our topic but hey, I enjoy a good fight as much as the next person. And I'm personally dreading the very idea of the mad monk taking power.

So to start off from TheProphetAGP and DuskyPredator's conversation in the welcome thread;

theprophetagp wrote:
Julia was always a willing participant in the June 2010 coup and made deals with right faction party bosses and right faction unions to become PM. She did the exact same thing in 1998 to gain pre-selection for the Division of Lalor which got her expelled from the Victorian Left faction (not that she was ever left-wing anyway). As far as I'm concerned she's a traitor to the labour movement and is killing the ALP nationwide by staying as PM just to satisfy her desire for power.

Take the NSW Right faction and NSW Labor out of the equation, since she's been PM we've seen the ALP slaughtered in Queensland and Western Australia, we've been defeated in the Northern Territory and if she remains PM we'll be almost whitewashed in Federal Parliament. She needs to go and from I understand it's a good possibility she'll be tapped on the shoulder this week.

Of course you need to be a willing participant in a coup, otherwise the coup can't succeed. However from what we know now, Kevin was famously difficult to work with as a party and would often announce policy without discussing it with caucus. I just wish the AU media would stop yelling "fight fight fight" as was established again this week.

Also, WA defeat was due to WA having no highly visible members. Almost all of em left, and the majority of seats were taken from independents and greens. Of course Libs were quick to drive in the knife on Julia being toxic, but polling shows that people are starting to realise that voting in a person who they know to be bad for them would generally be a bad idea.

And besides, what's there not to like about a female version of Bob Hawke?

That is aside from her immigration policy >.>
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
I just wish the AU media would stop yelling "fight fight fight" as was established again this week.

It is like they have nothing better to do, if they can't report on some earth shatering events, they have to try start a fight. At least there is less mentions of her accent.

I thought it interesting that Gillard's rating seemed to increase as Abbott did the 60 minutes interview, and he seems to be making all of those appearances.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought it interesting that Gillard's rating seemed to increase as Abbott did the 60 minutes interview, and he seems to be making all of those appearances.

What I would give for a live worm over twitter or something. I just wish that Abbot would be serious opposition instead of worrying chance of ruining everything.

And it looks like the greens are now entirely out of the picture.
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
RUINED FOREVER

Welcome to conversation on the upcoming 2013 federal election, not usually our topic but hey, I enjoy a good fight as much as the next person. And I'm personally dreading the very idea of the mad monk taking power.

So to start off from TheProphetAGP and DuskyPredator's conversation in the welcome thread;

theprophetagp wrote:
Julia was always a willing participant in the June 2010 coup and made deals with right faction party bosses and right faction unions to become PM. She did the exact same thing in 1998 to gain pre-selection for the Division of Lalor which got her expelled from the Victorian Left faction (not that she was ever left-wing anyway). As far as I'm concerned she's a traitor to the labour movement and is killing the ALP nationwide by staying as PM just to satisfy her desire for power.

Take the NSW Right faction and NSW Labor out of the equation, since she's been PM we've seen the ALP slaughtered in Queensland and Western Australia, we've been defeated in the Northern Territory and if she remains PM we'll be almost whitewashed in Federal Parliament. She needs to go and from I understand it's a good possibility she'll be tapped on the shoulder this week.

Of course you need to be a willing participant in a coup, otherwise the coup can't succeed. However from what we know now, Kevin was famously difficult to work with as a party and would often announce policy without discussing it with caucus. I just wish the AU media would stop yelling "fight fight fight" as was established again this week.

Also, WA defeat was due to WA having no highly visible members. Almost all of em left, and the majority of seats were taken from independents and greens. Of course Libs were quick to drive in the knife on Julia being toxic, but polling shows that people are starting to realise that voting in a person who they know to be bad for them would generally be a bad idea.

And besides, what's there not to like about a female version of Bob Hawke?

That is aside from her immigration policy >.>

Kevin from I know is pretty good to work with, just didn't have the time for factional hacks e.g. David Feeney, Stephen Conroy and Don Farrell. With WA, a good mate of mine in WA Labor who was helping campaign says the exact opposite and blamed their loss on Julia and Federal Labor. And Gillard is no Bob Hawke, for one thing he was popular during his time in office and still continues to be popular today. He also had great political judgment and compassion and put in place some good policy although I disagree with opening our economy to the world and removing tariffs on goods made in Australia. Unless Kevin is returned to the PM'ship, we'll be handing government to the Coalition on a platter and see the good work done during the Rudd Government torn away and if he's not returned as Opposition Leader after that then we won't be electable for a generation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
theprophetagp wrote:
Kevin from I know is pretty good to work with, just didn't have the time for factional hacks e.g. David Feeney, Stephen Conroy and Don Farrell. With WA, a good mate of mine in WA Labor who was helping campaign says the exact opposite and blamed their loss on Julia and Federal Labor. And Gillard is no Bob Hawke, for one thing he was popular during his time in office and still continues to be popular today. He also had great political judgment and compassion and put in place some good policy although I disagree with opening our economy to the world and removing tariffs on goods made in Australia. Unless Kevin is returned to the PM'ship, we'll be handing government to the Coalition on a platter and see the good work done during the Rudd Government torn away and if he's not returned as Opposition Leader after that then we won't be electable for a generation.

*sighs* and this is the problem, the Politicans are the front facing that we see. The staff behind the scenes do a large majority of the work, especially those in govt depts. The staff in Rudd's offices are stated to have hated his working style and there's a couple of politicans elsewhere who will agree, you don't coup that easily, now I just wish that everyone would leave Kevin the hell alone, get on with Julia and damn well take immigration and high speed internet off the discussion lists and make some damn policy.

I know that in WA the public service tends to prefer Labor to Libs which is amusing to say the least, but it'll come round again, and state labor screwed up big time, no public faces, all the known quantities had left govt and things are running fairly well. Hell after the libs tried to shove the knife in we get AUSPOL results stating that Gillard's ratings are going up.

I guess having an effective govt will do that to a person Wink

Spill was hilarious tho. It was as if the media was running around parliment house shouting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and Crean stuck his bloody head out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
That was an embarassing week of politics. One guy trying to put himself in the deputy seat, the news were making it huge with countdown and everything, but then Kevin basically said he won't play the game, and it all colapses like a large anticlimactic mess. There has to be more things important than these little pissing contests, the sad thing is the real mess from the elections has not even started yet.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That was an embarassing week of politics. One guy trying to put himself in the deputy seat, the news were making it huge with countdown and everything, but then Kevin basically said he won't play the game, and it all colapses like a large anticlimactic mess. There has to be more things important than these little pissing contests, the sad thing is the real mess from the elections has not even started yet.

Well you need policy for that, but apparently Abbott can run on lies and conjecture.

But I will admit, watching Turnbull dance around the whole "Libs will shut down NBNco" issue is amazing. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-24/quigley-defends-criticism-over-nbn-rollout/4591080
One could seriously learn from his handling of the issue. He doesn't want to do it, is ordered to do it, and is obvious that he hates the strategy. Infrastructure is amazing, especially when it pays for itself. Hell NBNCo isn't funded by the govt, it's been loaned the money!

I wonder how many will rally when the idea of a threat to fast broadband speeds becomes an election issue. I just hope enough can foresee what we require. Screw copper.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
I was a little upset when I began reading some of the proposals of the Liberals that they would stop the fast broadband thing, going so far as needing to say they won't remove what is in place as going backwards was a possibility. As an internet adict the fast broadband is important.
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
*sighs* and this is the problem, the Politicans are the front facing that we see. The staff behind the scenes do a large majority of the work, especially those in govt depts. The staff in Rudd's offices are stated to have hated his working style and there's a couple of politicans elsewhere who will agree, you don't coup that easily, now I just wish that everyone would leave Kevin the hell alone, get on with Julia and damn well take immigration and high speed internet off the discussion lists and make some damn policy.

I know that in WA the public service tends to prefer Labor to Libs which is amusing to say the least, but it'll come round again, and state labor screwed up big time, no public faces, all the known quantities had left govt and things are running fairly well. Hell after the libs tried to shove the knife in we get AUSPOL results stating that Gillard's ratings are going up.

I guess having an effective govt will do that to a person Wink

Spill was hilarious tho. It was as if the media was running around parliment house shouting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and Crean stuck his bloody head out.

I've met Kevin's current staff, they're very good and have had no complaints about him, I can't say in which capacity I know his staff though. Joel Fitzgibbon said late last week that those who hate Kevin are in a very small minority and is a good bloke. The polling used by the Right to convince MPs and Senators to get rid of him were most likely forged according to reports last week and there was internal polling done in 2010 not long before the coup which were kept secret until last week that showed that Kevin would've easily won the 2010 election and given us a majority Labor government. If his staff hated him so much then why would Troy Bramston still be pushing pro-Kevin opinions and do book launches with Kevin, the most recent a couple of months ago?

Then you have 'policy'. Most of the 'policy' I've seen from Gillard Labor have been nothing more than kneejerk reactions to popular opinion and engaging in a race to the bottom on Asylum Seekers, 457 visas and class warfare or policy the Government has put up that's vague on details on how a policy will work e.g. the failed media regulation bills, the Gonski reforms and the NDIS as the more recent examples.

As far as I'm concerned the current Government is a caretaker cabinet until the September election or even sooner if a no-confidence motion instigated by the Coalition succeeds or another leadership spill which is being suggested in the media and my own sources in the party.

It's embarrassing having Gillard and her cabinet lead us (except Albo, he's a good bloke).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well considering if you want actual internet access in the future. You need to get behind Gillard and her plan for the future.

I will admit, the Liberal "pamphlet" detailing their vision for NBN is hilarious and lead to many amusing news articles.

Plus, Mad As Hell had this genius piece to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3dL1L4gTo
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I really need to take more time to watch Mad As Hell, honestly I am usually busy though. Will check out a number that I missed on the youtube page.

There was an interesting article on the NBN in GoodGame recently too, it stayed rather neutral but did detail what the difference will likely be depending on each government's proposal. Interestingly it also mentioned that the plan has been expensive due to having to buy the network from Telstra, that is a bit too easy to cast blame on who's fault that is.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I really need to take more time to watch Mad As Hell, honestly I am usually busy though. Will check out a number that I missed on the youtube page.

There was an interesting article on the NBN in GoodGame recently too, it stayed rather neutral but did detail what the difference will likely be depending on each government's proposal. Interestingly it also mentioned that the plan has been expensive due to having to buy the network from Telstra, that is a bit too easy to cast blame on who's fault that is.

*sighs* I have to watch Good Game again now. I hope I can claim the time back on tax or something -_-

Infrastructure is expensive, however the copper network is cactus and needs to be replaced. The neat thing (that's hardly mentioned) is that the govt have given NBNco a loan for the deployment. It's actually paying it's infrastructure back as it builds it. Tell me what projects are fully costed that do that neat trick?

The problem is that the opposition don't have the smartest people around for this issue. NBNCo was setup to develop a best case scenario for Australia and that's what they're building. They had significantly more resources to develop this plan so it's not surprising that it's 10x better.

But I guess the opposition needs to get rid of those floppies and monochrome monitors aswell.

And I think the Mad As Hell episodes on iview are 90 days to expiry. So just catch em there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1